How long can someone live with breast cancer untreated?

My 70 year old grandmother was diagnosed with lung and breast cancer a couple of months ago. She does not want any treatment and she was given 3 months to live which she has surpassed. But, still my mom and I really worried about her condition, so we contacted one of the staff of the placidway and they already set an appointment to our doctor.

She had upped her pain meds quite a bit since she has been in palliative care, but we have not seen a physical decline in her health. Obviously it is specific to the individual, but how long can someone live in this condition? I have never had a relative get cancer before, so I do not know what to expect.

Hello Cindi
I cannot answer your question really as its “how long is a piece of string” !!
I had an elderly friend that got breast cancer at 70 but because of heart condition could not be operated on. She took a arimidex ( hormone tablet) once a day which controlled it and died at 88 of a heart attack !!
It’s understandable that she doesn’t want chemo but I am in contact with a 70 lady at the moment that has just had a masectomy and had started 6 Fec chemos and is doing really well !! So I think you need to trust the oncologist.
Carolyn xx

Hello Cindi,

I think that most people here would agree that cancer feeds on negativity, that is why your granny has to find her own way and reason to believe that life is not finishing when being diagnosed with cancer. She has at least to try what the doctors will give her, because these treatments will surely prolong her life. You will find nowhere info about how long your granny in particular is going to live, because it can be months, years, decades. Tell her not to give up, when one does he/she is usually leaving us quickly.

Hi Cindy,

i agree with both of these replies. It may be that your gran is/was unaware about the oral treatments available…or she might assume they are ‘chemo’ and going to make her feel awful.

to many older people ‘cancer’  is a very scary and dirty word. Sometimes elderly people live longer because there are less hormones around and so the cancer grows more slowly…,however that isnt a guarantee…

also she will feel more empowered if she takes charge of her own decisions…

wishing your gran the very best of luck and many more years of optimal health.

love Moijanxx

hi Cindy, my mum was 79 when she got breast cancer. (DCIS).diagnosed two weeks after me (mine was invasive lobular ) in June 2011. She had a mastectomy and radiotherapy but didnt have chemo…my dad said the drs advised against it because of her other health issues (heart, anxiety) and medication but i’m not sure i believe that, i think she made a conscious decision not to have it either because of her age or the side effects?? All her checkups were fine although she did start to get frail and lost a lot of weight, which coould have been due to her age. She developed a niggly cough but was told it was nothing but she eventualy went down hill and had further tests. This was July last year. It was then discovered the cancer had spread to her lungs and liver and we were told there was nothing they could do. My mum lived on for about 6 weeks and we lost her in August 2015…not an easy thing as i had been living with SBC for 18 mths by then. So, in answer to your question she lived 4 years after origianl diagnosis without further treatment. i know this is not quite your scenario as you grandma isnt ‘secondary’ bt i hope the info helps. I wish your grandma lots of luck with whatever path she chooses. xxx