How long did you wait for exchange of expander implant and permanent silicon implant?

Hello everyone, if you have had an expander implant post mastectomy, how long did your surgeon make you wait before exchanging it for a silicone one? 

It’s been 2 months since my mastectomy and reconstruction with strattice and I have to wait another 3 months until I have another appointment…seems ages to wait, especially as the tube feels awful and the port is really bumpy.  He also said that the expander  has rotated a bit too!

Thanks gals!

bump

Hi there all.

I had right mx with straticce and expander in September 2012 with expander and yes the port is still annoying me.  It is still in and my surgeon is reluctant to exchange it saying some of his patients have them in for 10 years or more!!

After 3 cancellations I finally had mastoplexi (reduction) on left breast in November last year.  I am still recovering from this.  It is strange that in this day and age he refused to consider me for a change of implant or further ops for nipple reconstruction until I took my ex partner to the last meeting.  With a man in the room he has agreed to pass me on to a plastic surgeon for nipple reconstruction.  I go this Friday and cannot wait.

Regarding the straticce, I now have a very lumpy breast as either fat necrosis or I have been told the stitches holding it to the muscle are very visible.  I now have at least 4 inches of lumps which are running along my breast at a strange angle.  With this in mind I have been told that because my skin is “thin” I will need 2 ops for nipple recon.  I only hope that the implant can be changed at the same time.  I hope this has helped you.  Maybe it is also about funding for the NHS but I know how hard it is to wait.  Let us know how you get on.

Regards Chris

Hello Parky

Only just seen your post. I had a left msx and immediate reconstruction with strattice on 5/3/13. I had a tissue expander and was told that as the implant had been put under the pectoral muscle I had to wait until the muscle had stretched and laid down flat again and then it would be removed and replaced with a permanent implant. I only had saline added twice through the port, the final one in May, then had to return to see the surgeon 3 months later. However, due to some problems I returned in July. He put me on his waiting list for the permanent implant and I had this done on 19th October together with a lift on my right breast. So in total it was 7 months. Have to say I couldnt wait as the expander looked odd and the tube and port were very uncomfortable. Unfortunately Ive got to have more surgery as things arent right. I have some ‘rippling’ going on which I had read could happen when there is no or hardly any flesh in the breast so my surgeon is going to put more strattice in to counter act that. I’m not happy witht area around the nipple as this has been stretched so much its twice the size of the other one!! :(  I have to wait until end of Feb before I see him again and he will put me on his ‘list’ at that point. So its not a quick process - patience is needed -  but as long as the surgeon can and will sort out anything I’m not happy with then I’m happy. I do hope everything goes well for you.

Very best wishes xxx ps my right boob looks fantastic after the lift :slight_smile: