How long do side-effects from radiotherapy last??

Hi there,

I am lookinf for some advice from my mum. I have posted on this site quite a few times, and I find all your advice invaluable.

My mum has secondary breast cancer in the bone (dx primary 2003, secondary 2007), and was given 4 sessions of radiotherapy to her hip and back bone in January as she was experiencing some pain. Since she had had her radiotherapy, she has had terrible time with an upset stomach. It comes and goes, but somedays (at the moment), sher stomach feels like a dishwasher and she has no appetite and very little energy. She has been to her GP since and he has given her omeprazole and buscopan, which seem to do little for her. She also had a blood test taken for any stomach bug, but her result was clear. She has been feeling more unwell this week, but I’m not sure if this is to do with receiving her monthly IV bisphosphonate on top of the medication she has been taking? Or, would radiotherapy through the stomach give these side-effects that would last as long?

Any advice would be greatly apprciated.

Many thanks

Nicola x

I would ring and get an appointment with the oncology dept. Better to be safe than sorry. Last year when I had r.t. to top of spine it burnt my windpipe so I had a problem for a long time afterwards.
Love Debsxxx

I agree that it would be worth making an appointment with the oncology clinic, this sounds like it needs expertise of oncologist rather than GP.

Hi nikki,

I had rads to my lower spine and hip back in july/august last year and it took a long time to feel ok. I was sick and nauseas but hard to tell how much was caused by the morphine or the rads. Certainly if they went near the stomach/intestines she should have been warned of the side effects. Unfortunately rads does not always work and bring about the relief we hope for. But she does need to make the oncology department aware of her ongoing problems

Dawn
xxx