How long do you get pain in your breast for?

I had a WLE for a 10mm intermediate grade DCIS 6 months ago followed by radiotherapy. At first I had pretty painful stabbing pains which I thought had subsided generally. All of a sudden I am getting more frequent painful twinges again which aren’t necessarily on the scar line but can be anywhere in that breast. I know we aren’t all the same but just wonder if this is the norm for others who have had DCIS.
I’ve also noticed that if I reach with the arm on the side that I had surgery something just feels different over the last few days although there are no signs whatsoever of a lump or anything worrying. My scar is at the top of my breast and is about 2-2.5" long and when I reach up the skin pulls across my breast (doesn’t look great) so maybe the same thing I am seeing on the outside is what is happening with the scar tissue on the inside?

Hi!

I didn’t have DCIS but had a lumpectomy in late June 08 and rads in August and I still get some stabbing pains in my breast. They don’t seem nearly so frequent now, but my onc said they can go on for at least a year and in some people for even longer!

HI Redders,

Thanks for your response. My pains didn’t seem so frequent but seem to have come back with a vengeance. Maybe I’m just going to be one of the unlucky ones whose pain will last for at least a year. Still, at least I have my breast so I count myself lucky compared to some.

Thanks again!

sounds as if you may have adhesions - my breast scar is stuck to my muscle so when I flex it, my bosom goes up and down in a weird way. Maybe you have the same thing

Mole

Hi Mole,

Sorry to hear you have adhesions. Since I last posted on this thread my pain has subsided again and I am only getting stabbing pains every few days. However I am very aware of my boob when I move my upwards. It isn’t pain but just a really weird feeling. When I look in a mirror at my boobs the scar looks pretty good until I move my arm upwards and then I have all these lines pulling against the scar which is horizontal at the top of my boob and it looks horrid. It doesn’t make me feel great about my boobs which is a shame as I have always been happy with them (although I’ve always had small ones). Considering what others go through by losing their boobs I suppose it’s a small price to pay to get rid of the DCIS but I really wish I could tur the clock back to on year ago.

How did you find out that you have adhesions? and is there anything that can be done for adhesions?

Suze

I realised my bosom was attached to my pectoral muscle where the wound had been drained and scar tissue formed. Thus if I flex my pectoral muscle my bosom moves up with it.

I can’t see how they can do anything about it as this is the way the scar has formed so I am living with it. It’s a good party trick anyway

mole

Hi Mole,

Yep - looks like I have a new party piece too (good job nobody here to see me flexing in front of my bathroom mirror).

Thanks for your help!

Suze