How long for hair to grow back?

Hi

I finished my 6 x TAC chemo almost 6 weeks ago and my head has very little to show for it!
I’m getting a bit despondent as I’m desperate to have my hair back.

How long did it take for your hair to grow back and is there anything I can do to encourage it?

Thanks

mummy29 x

me too! (well, five weeks to be pedantic like my oh)… and still shiny head! I got a couple of bottle of essential oils specially mixed for the purpose - morning and night, but you have to wait 10 days after chemo before using and stop during radiotherapy, so that gave me 2.5 weeks massaging… heard that Aloe Ver Gel is good on bonce too (not tried it cause I’m not sure how it might react with rads, and I only heard yesterday)… Listening to some of the others I HAVE HAIR ENVY!!!

bump

Hi there. This hair business is a right pain isn’t it! I finished chemo on 4 April and I ditched my wig on 24 July. It’s very short and sticking up at the sides but I like it compared to not having any hair! I tried oils and the lush cinnamon bar but apart from it smelling lovely not sure it made it grow any quicker. My bcn said if she knew of anything that made it grow faster she’d be a millionaire!

I’m thinking I’ll have to be patient and enjoy my hair over the next few months. Maybe someone out there has a product recommendation that will help us all???

Happy hair growing

Rachelxx

Pinkrose, the answer is… TIME. 3 months after last shave and 2 months after last chemo, mine is beginning to look like hair again. Will change my avatar in the morning just to show you.

Ps: you are only 5/6 weeks after chemo - i had nothing at this stage too. Give your follicles a little time to get over the shock. I had fec-t. Btw I have my eyebrows, eyelashes, plenty of leg hair and hair ‘down there’ is plentiful. It’s hard but u gotta be patient xxxx

I had 8 x TAC, last one on 30 March. Eyelashes started to appear 20 May, eyebrows the following day and the first sign of head hair followed about 2 days after that! Eyelashes were back within 10 days and everything else followed fairly quickly. I ditched my hats for good 23 July … I used the lush bar but at the weekend had to re-invest in a bottle of shampoo !!!

Re Aloe Vera - it’s very safe to use, in fact radiotherapy staff recommended it to me and I had my brain zapped so my hair loss went along with a lovely flaky and slighly ‘burnt’ scalp. It’s particularly nice if you store it in the fridge! Hope your hair makes an appearance soon. Tina x

By 2 months after my last FEC I had a short, somewhat patchy head of hair, which took at least another month to thicken up. But it’s very individual and different chemos may have different effects. You can’t really speed it up, but you can keep the skin of your scalp moisturised and healthy. The first hair may be so fine and unpigmented that you feel it before you see it.

I don’t know how much having multiple treatments adds to the eventual regrowth time, but any major physical stress may cause hair to thin, nails to become brittle or ridged, and so forth, and it can take months for things to get back to normal. As if BC and the treatments weren’t enough in themselves.