How long for hair?

It’s nearly 8 weeks since I finished chemo and I still don’t have normal hair growth. McMillan site says I should have 1cm or so by now. Do have thin fuzz that I have had all through chemo but not real growth. How long was it for everyone else? Also still got to go through radiotherapy, will that effect hair growth?

Hi Momo how immensely frustrating for you! I am 9 months post chemo & my hair is just beginning to look like something someone might have chosen as a hairdo, rather than something from prisoner cell block H. The 1cm a month thing is just an average I think, because I had months where mine barely budged 4mm. In the end I measured it on the first of each month to reassure myself that it was actually growing, which it was.  I think it’s just pot luck how fast it grows.  All you can do is eat hair growth promoting foods & put up with all the comments everyone makes about your hair the whole time. The latter drive me nuts &, because I know they are trying to be kind, I just grit my teeth & try & smile.  If only they knew that all their well meaning comments just serve to bring my attention back to my hair, which I prefer to forget when I am not looking in a mirror.  I don’t know if you are on hormone therapy or Herceptin, but both of those can slow down hair growth.  I had my last Herceptin 2 weeks ago & I am hoping for a growth spurt soon.  Fingers crossed yours perks up soon too. xx ps I bought FAST from Boots & Tricomin from Amazon.  Both hair no effect on my regrow & I couldn’t get on with Tricomin, which is quite expensive, so total waste of money.

Thanks Bibi. At this stage I would be happy with just all over stubble. Feels like it’s never even going to start growing just now. Will be starting tamoxifen soon I assume & think that might cause thining. Was hoping my hair would be growing normally before then. Taking vitamin b & d but didn’t really believe the hype on the hair growth treatments. Glad to know not to bother with them.

Hi Momo

Please dont worry it will grow back x

I finished chemo at the end of March so am 7 months post chemo today and I am just getting to the stage where it looks like a hairdo rather than as bibi said prisoner cell block H

At the end of June I had no hair on the front of my head from my ears forward but growth on the back mid july when I started rads I had enough hair I confidently ditched my wig for a v short but even crop

Mine hasnt grown a cm a month either it just sort of took off of its own accord a few weeks ago. As bibi said just try and help your hair by eating well. I have hair thats a good 5cms on places and 3cms in the bits that started growning later

I washed my head now hair every 3 days with watermans grow me which is about £10 on amazon I only recently bought the conditioner to help with fluffiness. I take biotin 10000mcg a day I have no idea if either work but I have decided when I run out I am not buying anymore. I massage my head for a few minutes each day with my fingers again I dont know if this does work.

The one thing I have noticed is a friend and I both ditched hats, wigs , scarves etc the same time as it was v v hot she was a month behind me but her hair has grown loads too so maybe our heada like the lack of friction from headwear

Jen x

Hi again Momo

Very good points raised by Jen Jen (nice to hear from you BTW & hope your rads were OK).  Mine has not grown evenly either & nor is the consistency the same all over my head.  There is a particularly mad part right on the top that just stands on end & refuses to flop over like normal hair despite now being 8cm long LOL.  I am not taking supplements, but I do eat lots of walnuts & fresh fruit & veg, which is supposed to help.  I would be happy to send you the things that allege to grow it faster if you at all interested because they are just sitting there & I can’t quite bring myself to chuck them out.  I read that waiting for your hair to grow is the longest year of your life.  I’m sure you will agree with that.  I know I did.  With the massage thing, my hairdresser agreed with Jen, but Macmillan says don’t do it too ferociously or it can damage the follicles.  Wishing you all the best & superfast hair growth. Xx