Did you mean: 

How long in hospital

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: How long in hospital

Thank you ladies for your replies xx

Highlighted

I had left side mx with immediate reconstruction using implant and acellular mesh. I was in hospital for 2 nights, had two drains initially and went home with one, which was taken out by district nurse after 7 days. I built up my standing, sitting, and walking time gradually and went back to work (part time teacher) on a phased return after 8.5 weeks. It's really important to do all the exercises you are given to keep mobility in the affected arm and shoulder. Good luck xx

Highlighted

I had mastectomy with immediate LD Flap and implant reconstruction iwith sentinal node biopsy. I was in for 5 day and came home with 1 drain still in place. I was out of bed the day after surgery but moving very slowly to the toilet and back again. I was fairly mobile but couldn't lift my arm very far. Able to get dressed myself although needed help getting bra on for first few days. Drain came out on day 10. 

I'm now nearly 5 weeks post op. Still bruised and tender but recovering well. Back at work but only doing mornings for now as my back gets stiff and achey by mid day. 

Highlighted

Hi tstock70

My operation which was carried out before chemo took around seven hours. When I woke up back on the ward I had three drains including a catheter in. Over the next six days they were all removed but others have gone home with them still in and returned later to have them removed. The catheter was in for twenty four hours and was the first to be removed. They like to get you up the next day even if you only move from the bed to the chair and back again. Are you having an implant reconstruction or DIEP/TRAM flap or similar? As this will no doubt affect the replies you may get.

Swampy

Highlighted

Should say I was looking at having reconstruction done at the same time which I guess will add time on x

Highlighted

How long in hospital

Evening, after chemo I am due to have a left breast mastectomy plus lymph node removal.  I'm trying to think about logistics and just wondered how long I am likely to be in hospital for and how long after until you can start getting being more mobile.  Thanks in advance xx