cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long in hospital@

36 REPLIES 36

Re: How long in hospital@

Hey rosemaryanne, totally Awesome!  Xxx

Bugger about the second surgery,  but brilliant about no chemo.  Big hugs and cake for everyone !

Xxxx

Sandie

Hi Rose, thank you for your best wishes. My ultrasound & MRI didn't show any node involvement & I didn't have a biopsy on them pre-op. It was my Surgeon's decision to do an axillery dissection during mx to save further surgery, if necessary. I just have to keep my fingers crossed that their optimism after my op was well-placed. I am sure with their experience they have some idea what may show up (well, that's what is keeping me going at the moment!). x

And I shall be thinking of you on Friday, Beryl and hoping for good news for you too xx

Hi Cazz. I didn't have mx, just 2 lumps out. however, a friend's mum had her breast removed and no follow up treatment other than monitoring. She had no lymph involvement though. So i can't really help with your question. Sorry. Really hope you get good news on Thursday. Keep us updated xx

(by the way, I still get lots of "prickles", but was told this is quite normal)

Rose, so chuffed for you re no chemo & I am sure you will fly through surgery, at least you know what to expect.
I get my results this Thursday, hoping for the best obviously but more scared than I was before the mx. Gradually getting more mobility in my arm (had full node clearance) but lots of pins & needles & electric shock feelings when my arm is touched so uncomfortable at times.

Have been wondering, how common is not having chemo after mx etc? Has anyone else had mx following Stage 1, Grade 2 lobular & node clearance (or similar) & not had chemo &/or rads? I know i will need tamoxifen & before op they talked about chemo but said obv depend on outcome. Surgeon said i had a text book op & they had no concerns & that I should almost be back to normal & working again within 6 weeks so am hoping for a good result on thursday. My friend had DCIS that became invasive so had mx & nothing else except tamoxifen. This is the road i am hoping for, fingers crossed. Hope everyone else is doing well

Hurrah to Rose - great. my results on Friday but they can't take anymore of me away cos they've already had it, just hope the rest is as good as yours.

Sharon- very sensilble going for a night in hospital. Good choice I think as you will really feel rough - try not to be discharged until the afternoon as well - gives you another few hours.

Sarah - how are you going? Are you managing to be a bit more mobile, I am still very slow but can now say every day I feel a little better. Think I finally have pain mangement working as well after the chat with the nurse yesterday - so had a better nights sleep.

Keep smiling

berylx

Thanks, Sharon. Radiotherapy is the next step, also hormone treatment, However I spoke to the BCN about hormone stuff. I had a nightmare with depression during the menopause, but she said that because the tumours were low grade and small, if I struggle with the hormone treatment, it shouldn't be too much of a risk to drop it. SOOOO HAPPY today!! xx

Woohoo! Rose I'm SOOOOOOO chuffed for you, it's wonderful news that you don't need chemo!  I know the extra surgery is a pain (literally) that you could do without but at least it will be over and done with quickly and then there's no more nasty stuff to have to deal with (not sure if you're having radiotherapy but that doesn't sound too awful even if you do have to have it).  Phew! That's made my day 😄

x

Sharon

Thank you!

I can't stop saying (and sorry for being insensitive to those who need it) NO CHEMO!!!

Hope there's good news in the pipeline for everyone else waiting

Love, Rose xx

That's fantastic news Rose, I am so happy for you. Surgery abit of a downer but all the other news is fantastic xx

Definately not a sissy Sharon xx I threw up for two days!!! At least in hospital the wonderful nurses had to deal with that not me! S xxx

Boo surgery Monday BUT hurrah hurrah hurrah hurrah hurrah hurrah hurrah - yeh - you've got this bugger whooped now Rose xxx my favourite post so far - you have a great surgeon too xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx More time with feet up a bit - drives you mad like me but take it easy - xxxx Sarah

Hi!

Well, results good but could have been better. Lymph nodes clear. Hurrah! Both tumours grade 1. Hurrah! However no clear margins so will have more surgery on Monday. Boo!

Really happy that chemo is not joining the party. Also the BCN said that if I get depression or any other nasty side effects from the hormone treatment, they will withdraw it since the tumours were small and low grade. Another hurrah!

Hope you're all ok?

Love Rose xx

Good luck for today Rose xxx

Sharon you are definitely not a "sissy", I think its a good idea to stay overnight especially if you live alone. I was so dizzy and sick after that I would never have coped at home. I think we all try so hard to put on "that brave face" and in reality its pretty crap and there is no disgrace showing that. Big hugs to you. Lynda x

Hi Rosemaryanne, very best of luck with your results today, you've had such a long wait I feel for you, very stressful.  

I'm going in for my lumpectomy/SNB on Monday and the BCN said I could come home that day but I asked to stay in overnight as I'm on my own and a bit scared by the whole surgery thing (never had any before).  I feel like a giant sissy for being so spooked as you've all had much more to go through than me.  I suspect it is just that it has been such a long wait (was diagnosed 7 weeks ago now) that my imagination has run riot!

Do let us know how you get on as soon as you're ready

x

Sharon

Hi Sharon- good to see you're back! Missed you! Forgive my poor memory, have you got your surgery date yet?

You are right, Results Day tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a good outcome. Apart from a few prickly feelings, I'm absolutely fine. Huge painful underarm lump where they took the nodes vanished after a couple of weeks.

As for my hospital experience: I was spoilt! The breast surgery unit is in what was previously a private hospital. Individual rooms, like a hotel, with wardrobe, desk, easy chair and en-suite. I was in no rush to leave! I had to stay overnight due to ridiculously low blood pressure, but it was no hardship.

Best wishes to everyone for a quick return to health

Love Rose xx

PS. I still don't believe this is actually happening!

hi all
Rosie - there was a ward of 6 ladies - one had been in since December as had infection (not BC) two others operated day before me not BC - then two other beds that seemed to take people post recovery but then they got sent home, The others all had catheters so because I had to walk a bit was helping them with their mobile phones etc! The ward was VERY noisy and one night none of got any sleep because of this poor lady in lots of pain. So - take earplugs - on this very bad night I also used 'eye shields' - like travel ones and I have NEVER worn them before....
Sharon - will be thinking of you and am genuinely amazed that anyone would think it OK for someone to use the tube after a general and operation (especially if they send you home same day) . also assume you don't live right next door to the tube stop so you would have to be carrying your stuff and walking home - prob in the snow! My mind boggles! Wise choice to get the taxi xx
Beryl and Allyson - I'm in for the long haul on this and being very careful to listen to my body. as a single mum I've got to ensure I don't have any relapses or infections - The pain has got me down a bit yesterday but have to reflect that a bilateral mx is massive surgery and someone said - just because others are doing more doesn't translate that I should! B - I'd get a wheelchair at hosp if it's a very long walk (at least one way!!)
I'm back at hosp on Thursday and plan to walk very slowly !!!
Best wishes to all and please don't worry if you are going into hospital - xx
sarah

I was with 3 other women who had surgery but I was the only breast one though there was someone else in another room,

I was fine, very careful driver until OH went over an unavoidble rut - I just screamed. Have thought since am not sure how those by themselves will manage - doing up bras, washing, and other essential things.

Not been in car since but tomorrow I go for a check up with the BCN. Not very sure how I will manage the walk through car park and long hospital corridors. Bit worried about it!

I have been feeling all day that it isn't really me, very hard to associate the word Cancer with me. I have a counselling session booked for middle of next week, really feel I need it, just hope I can make it!

Sarah, I was surprised how much I've managed today compared to yesterday - even managed to reach for a mug today. Slept very soundly after my walk - wore me out!

Keep thinking about you all and hoping you are improving.

Keep smiling

Berylx

Hi Sharon I am shocked that the tube was ever suggested. Money spent on a cab will be well spent please do it xx you need to take it easy xx

I know probably each hospital is different, but is there a special breast surgery ward? Or are you in with broken legs etc for your post op recovery?

Or were you so out of it you didn't notice? Just a thought passing through my head at the mo Cat Happy

Hi ladies, sorry to have gone AWOL from the boards recently and I am so pleased to hear that those of you who had surgery last week and the week before are out the other side and recovering now.  Walking already? and in this weather? blimey, that's impressive.  Sarah it sounds as if you've had a particularly rough time of it, how are you doing now?  Any top tips for those of us still waiting for the surgery? (I've got my front fastening jimjams and cardigan; my underarm cushion, my lipbalm and a box set of Game of Thrones ready :))

When do you all get your post-surgery biopsy results?  If I remember correctly I think Rosemaryanne is due hers on Tuesday so if you're reading Rosemary, best of luck!

Rosie, just wanted to say hello too and so sorry you've had to join us but everyone here is lovely and just so helpful.  My BCN told me that I'd be able to use the London tube to get home after surgery but I'm only having a lumpectomy/sentinel node biopsy.  Not sure I fancy it so I've taken the advice of the ladies on here and am going to come home in a cab.

Love to all you wonderful ladies

xx

Sharon

Hi - actually my recovery very slow - still in a lot of pain and unbelievably weak - certainly couldn't manage a walk like you two troupers ! I have been assured that it will get better ... Hope so as I am normally fit and healthy and it's getting me down a bitx. My house like a florist and I know what you mean Lynda - I actually had a moment today where I thought " has this really happened to me" xx

Helloo

Looks like we are now recuperating OK

REally upset tummy today and now have seen it all

Blue boob is now bright yellow and green boob!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Hi Jets, hows the recovery going? I feel a lot better today and went for a walk just to get some fresh air. This throat thing is really driving me insane, is your throat ok now? Sat surrounded by flowers which is overwhelming, I still cant actually get my head around that this is happening to me! Hope your taking it easy xx

Lynda! Not Alison weird autocorrect ! Xx

Hi alisonxxx welcome back - I was darth vader for several days x vvv sore throat x I am twiggy !!! You take care xxx

Hi Sarah and Beryl good to see you back at home again Smiley Happy I had my surgery and got home late the next day. Feeling quite sickly and dizzy but maybe lack of food. I have a terrible throat it feels like I have something stuck there its driving me mad. Gp thinks its trauma when they incubate using the tube.  Took my bra off yesterday and got such a shock at the difference in sizes.  Trying to take one day at a time feeling weepy and sorry for myself at times Smiley Frustrated . Hope everyone is taking it easy Heart xx

Thank you so much for all the info. I live alone but I am sure one of my neighbours would pop in. I am about 6 mins walk from my doctor (excellent health centre with nurses etc), so hopefully that will score me enough get out of jail free points. The cats' litter trays may get clogged up for a while but they do go outdoors as well. I am about halfway through waiting for biopsy results and treatment plan. Now every ache and pain is noted and worried about, funny that!

You are all so marvellous, I can't thank you enough.

Rosie xx

Hi beryl xx lots love glad all went well xx I'm not up to short walk yet but am pottering !! Just need strentgh and district nurse says it's because of double anaesthetic. ~ I'm a VERy unusual case though - don't want to alarm anyone xx

Hey there

I had a mastex on Tuesday with an implant. Came home late Wednesday and had Distrct nurse call for 2 days until drain was removed.

I had a lot of pain so was pleased with the nurse input as she got me a telephone talk with GP and prescription straight away.

I think everyone is slightly different. I'm OK now. do have an OH though. and a neighbour who comes round every day to check on any help required

Today I am going for a short walk in the sun just to bottom of road and back. Never thought I would get excited about that!!!

Hiya Sarah - good to see you back

Beryl xx

Hi Rosie. My surgeon kept me in one night but does let some of his patients go home the same day. I had my drain for 2 days before going back to get it removed. I had no pain what so ever and no incidents other than getting stuck in the bath the first day because I couldn't use my arm to lift myself out but showers from then on solved that problem. My Dad and stepmum stayed with me for 5 days to help out with cooking and housework. In the second week I was pretty much able to do everything (except Hoover which I told my 16 year old son I couldn't do for 6 weeks so he'd have to help ha ha even though I could - wicked mother). I was driving too after 3 weeks. Good luck. X

Hi Rosie x very best wishes to you x hopefully you will get a lot of support from the forum I know I did especially in that No mans land of waiting. I had a bi lateral mx on Monday and originally they had thought that I would go home same day - however I had a few complications post surgery and was kept in until weds pm in the end, Like grumpy - They wanted to check that I had support at home (I'm a single mum of teenagers) and were happy as my parents came to stay. Be ause I wound up with two general anaesthetic in the end I have been very fatigued post surgery so you need to make sure you have some kind of help for the first week. make sure you have sorted transport - I know some people have to get home via public transport which I wouldn't even be able to contemplate!!!! Sarah

I live on my own, and because I had kept everything secret, I had no one to take me to and from hospital. My GP and clinic arranged all the transport, ambulance and cars, for this, and appts when I was not allowed to drive. I did have to make bit of a fuss just once, and point out that without the transport and not being allowed to drive, I wouldn't be able to get to hospitals ..... 

They just wanted to know I had support when I got home, so because I live next door to our local health centre they were quite happy to send me home on my own.

Hope this helps

Grumpy

Hi Rosie
Your definitely in the worst bit but things will get soooo much easier when you have a plan.
I had single mx on 10th Dec, stayed in overnight only and had my drain removed before I left so home and comfy by lunchtime next day. Mainly discomfort and really not much pain. Top tip do the exercises and don't sit still for too long as you'll get stiff. You do make your own way home as I think they will ask who is looking after you but sure hospital can arrange if you need it.
Good luck, big hug any other questions just ask
Alison xx

Hi rosie, 

I had a single mx, no reconstruction and stayed for 2 nights. They were happy for me to go home after one, but it was nice to have an extra day of people looking after me. Also we live a fair distance away and its harder to orgsnise district nurses in the weekend for drain checks.

My partner picked me up and drove me home. Slowly....avoiding bumps .. 

You should be amazed at how comfortable you feel,  I was surprised. 

Hugs

Sandie

Xx

How long in hospital@

Hi, I've just recently been diagnosed and I'm going through that awful waiting period to find out the biopsy results and treatment plan (it's smile one minute and cry the next at the moment).

On average how long do you have to stay in hospital if you have a mastectomy?  Do you have to make your own way home afterwards?

Thanks

Rosie x