69867members
367168posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How mang of you have changed ypur diet ?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: How mang of you have changed ypur diet ?

will keep my fingers crossed for use. Hugs

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, well I phoned my bcn this morning to see if my tumour markers results was back, which I have been totally dreading!!! Having been changed from tamoxifen to letrozole 11 week ago and I am happy to say they are on the way down.......yippee, in Oct they were 167 the result today was 127 they have not been that low for over 12 month so I am happy with that and long may it continue to drop, having my CT scan on Mon so fingers crossed that result will also be good.

Hugs Janette xxxx 

HI Jenette

I have never been a big drinker but do enjoy a glass of wine or 2 and feel that qualtiy of life is just as important so while I do know that alcohol is not advised I feel that I can give up everything I enjoy so a couple of glasses a week is not going to make that much difference. Don't be too hard on your self Janetter

Hugs

Sarah

Redpark, I totally agree with you, when I was dx 2 yrs ago I felt guilty about almost everything I ate!!! One day something is meant to be good for you the next it "cause cancer"!!! Now I just try and eat a varied diet with fruit, veg and some naughty stuff thrown in at the weekend, as you say we have enough to deal with without worrying and feeling guilty about everything we eat. 

Just watching the morning news and there is an article on about alcohol and how it can cause cancer, now I'm on a guilt trip, I'm no lush but I do have a few glasses of red on a Saturday night with my hubby....is that so bad?? Or should I be looking at non alcoholic wine? Does anyone else have a drink now and then? 

Hugs Janette xxxx 

I have thought about this diet but it seems very restrictive. Given that I can’t eat certain foods due to my irritable bowel I feel that there would be only a very limited food selection I could eat. I have always enjoyed cooking and eating food and it had been an important part of my life, I feel that while I do what to optimise my diet to have an effect on my cancer I do not want to do it at the expense of my enjoyment of whatever life I have left.

I do try and cut down on my carbohydrate and sugar intake, while also increasing my fruit and very. For example tonight I am cooking pasta for my family. The sauce will be full of vegetables and they will have pasta with it while I will just have more of the sauce without the pasta.

It is also very confusing when you try and compare the different diets. The ketogenic diet suggests that you should restrict fruit as it contains sugars yet other diets such as the rainbow diet say that fruits contain many good cancer fighting nutrients. Therefore I feel that I am going to try and just include as many of the foods that have been found to be beneficial while cutting down on unhealthy things as much as possible without spoiling my enjoyment of life.

I've read a lot go on the ketogenic diet any of you on that ? X 

Hi Julie

Don't be hard on yourself for not doing what you think is right. Just do what is right for you at the moment.No point in making things worse beating your self up. Best Wishes

Sarah

Thanks everyone I will have a look at that book.  I've read that much on diet and supplements my heads mentally drained . I'm on docetaxol at the min so haven't changed anything really just trying to get through this 😵 thanks for the links I've realised everything I shouldn't be doing I'm doing I need to sort myself out ! X x x

Ugh, Redpark, didn't realise Tumeric can impact IBS, I've been hitting it hard and thought it was just chemo that was giving me grief!

Any way just to add to the diet advice, I found the   Onc behind this website really inspirational. He spoke at Hammersmith Maggie's centre last summer. http://www.cancernet.co.uk/newsletter-april.htm  

I take PomiT most days, and try to excercise ( says she typing this from bed!) 

Hi Julie

Like Jacksy I have tried to eat more fruit and veg. I have also tried (with difficulty over Christmas!) to cut down on sugary things.

I feel that a healthy diet can’t harm me and it may help my health generally and have some effect on the cancer.

I read a good book about diet helping to prevent/stop cancer which might interest you:

‘Foods to fight cancer’ - Professor Richard Beliveau and Dr Denis Gingras. It is written for lay people but by a doctor and a scientist and using research to underpin what they are saying. As well a high intake of fruit and veg they suggest other things like green tea and turmeric. Sadly turmeric makes my irritable bowel worse.

Also there is a web site that looks at research into breast cancer treatment especially food and has a list of foods not to eat and another list of foods that are beneficial.

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/

Sarah x

Hi just as I'm cooking a bacon sandwich lol 😁 I'm trying to eat more healthy but it's taking me all my time to get through this docetaxcol 😥 I've had three another three to go I feel a bit rough ! X x

Hi Julie,

i just try to eat loads of fruit & veg and go easy on the bacon/sausages/processed stuff. I don't drink much at all, but I think I would cut down if I was a regular drinker. I've tried to reduce cheese and dairy products, but life isn't worth living without cheese and biscuits or cereal!!

Jx

How mang of you have changed ypur diet ?

Hi I've read eliminating sugar white bread and red meat helps . Have any of you done this ? I'm not a good eater and eat all the wrong stuff I'm now thinking I should of been doing this ! X x Julie