Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people have had Thyroid problems

55 REPLIES 55
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: How many people have had Thyroid problems

Hi everyone,

Any more details on thyroid problems? Not any particular one, just general thyroid problems. Symptoms, signs, etc...

~ Centa

hya everyone i have just had routine blood tests i was dx last may i am now on arimidex after i had been put through the menopause my doctor says that i am on the borderline for underactive thyroid this is wooying for me as i am putting on loads of weight since had cancer nearly a stone and its really starting to show i dont want to be over weight as this has never been a problem to me does anyone know if u can have treatment for it as my cancer was hormone grade 3 aggressive
jackie
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Wow, thats really interesting, thanks for posting, it makes me more convinced there is a genetic basis for my cancer even though it is not known...

Cathy

Guest user
Not applicable

Ther are a number of studies into the relationship between thyroid production and Breast Cancer on the following site:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/breast-cancer.htm

The summaries of 8 of these studies are that (these are direct quotations but if you go to the site it will link to further studies that clarify how the findings have been arrived at):

1) A new study finds that treatment for thyroid cancer in younger women increases their risk for breast cancer five to twenty years later.
2) This research suggests that thyroid hormone has a direct and crucial role in the development of breast cancer. "Thyroid hormone is a very powerful co-factor of experimental carcinogenesis. The role of thyroid hormone in human cancers has yet to be clearly elucidated."
3) These researchers found that there's no clear evidence of a causal relationship - in that one disease causes the other - but there does appear to be an association between breast cancer and hypothyroidism, in particular. There's also some evidence that dietary iodine may affect breast cancer risk, and there's an increased likelihood of having breast cancer if one has an enlarged thyroid, known as a goiter.
4) The prevalence of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism in patients with breast cancer versus those without breast cancer is very similar. Non-toxic goiter (an enlarged thyroid) was more than twice as common in the breast cancer patients; 45.5% of breast cancer patients had thyroid enlargement compared with only 10.5% of controls. And, antithyroid peroxidase autoantibodies were twice as common in breast cancer patients than in controls.
5) This study found that use of thyroid supplements does not increase the risk of developing breast cancer.
6) This study found that patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis had the lowest percent of deaths due to breast cancer, while those with nontoxic nodular goiter had the highest.
7) This research found that the overall prevalence of thyroid disease was 46% in the breast cancer patients studied, versus 14% in the controls studied. The prevalence of nontoxic goiter was 27.4% in breast cancer patients, versus 11% in controls. Hashimoto's thyroiditis was found in 13.7% of breast cancer patients, and in 2% of the controls. The prevalence of thyroperoxidase (TPO) antibody was higher in breast cancer patients than in controls (23.5% vs. 8%). Overall, the study found that the prevalence of thyroid disorders is increased in patients with breast cancer, and thyroid autoimmune disorders, especially Hashimoto's thyroiditis, account to a large extent for the increased prevalence of thyroid disease in patients with breast cancer.
8) Post-operative radiation therapy for breast cancer can damage the thyroid, so shielding of the thyroid is recommended during irradiation, as well as long-term follow-up of thyroid function with repeated thyroid testing.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Helfire

I too wondered whether radiation may have triggered this problem as I had radiotherapy to the neck as well as chest.

I had my bone scan yesterday ( I asked for a quicker appointment and got it!), they inject a small dose of radioactive stuff into you for this. I guess I could have well and truly b***d my thyroid now!

Results next week, oh they waiting.

Carol

Guest user
Not applicable

Interesting thread. I am being investigated for thyroid problems at present, following a catalogue of symptoms, you are all probably very familiar with. I am wondering if the radiotherapy has affected its function, as I know the thyroid is sensitive to radiation, or if the tamoxifen can cause these symptoms.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
I too had an over active thyroid. Mine was diagnosed in 2000 and I was on carbimazole and beta blockers. I had to go into hospital because I had a very bad reaction to the carbimazole where i believe my white blood cells were affected and I was very ill. I took carbimazole for 2 years and was fortunate enough to stabalise the thyroid.
About Sept last year I went to my GP and asked for another check on my thyroid as i was experiencing some tiredness etc. The test came back ok. Last month I went for a routine mammogram (1st ever) and have just returned from hospital after having an invasive cancer tumour removed and SNB. Awaiting results now. Strange! Especially as th eyoung woman in the next bed to me had also had carbimazole for overactive thyroid in 2005????

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
I am glad to have found this thread.
I have been to the hospital today following blood tests and a request to see a consuant because I have been feeling quite poorly since January. I had began to worry my cancer had raised its ugly head again. Dx'd Nov 2005 2 recurrences, finished a years Herceptin last Dec.

Anyway, I was told my bone calcuim levels were raised so the consultant said it could mean I have thyriod problems ( underactive because I reported the extreme fatigue I have had lately).

I am also having a bone scan because of other aches I have.

It was a little confusing because the blood test showed no problem with markers or liver function test so I guess he is just belts and braces with the bone scan.

I have looked up to see if the Herceptin could have cause this problem. I am ER- so have no other drugs to take.

Well I guess I will know more in 3 weeks time! Oh the waiting.

Cheers all

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I have had an underactive thyroid since the birth of my second child seven years ago, and taking 150mcg. dx bc March 07. It makes very interesting reading!

Guest user
Not applicable

I have been taking thyroxine for over twenty years as I had a goitre. I had total thyroidectomy five years ago, a parathyroid adenoma (growth on a parathyroid), I also had what they now call PCOS which is ovarian. Diagnosed with BC last year and just recently have had to increase my thyroxine dose for the first time in over 20 years. Sure does make you wonder!

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening

I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid in 1994 following the birth of my second child. I have just reduced from 250mcg - YES 250! down to 225 as I had become over active.

Mum had BC at 40 but her thyroid was fine, I am 39 and was diagnosed in Dec with grade 1 cancer, going in on 22nd to have the 'beast' cut out.

Kind regards to all....Sharon x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you roadrunner - now I know. xx

Triple negative is where you are her2-, pr-, and er-, ie completely non-hormonal

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone
I too was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid early in 2006 and put on block/replace medication. I was then diagnosed with BC in Oct of the same year. Hadn't realised there was a link - but do now. I have hormone receptive cancer - I know about HER2 but have not heard of triple neg cancer - can someone enlighten me please?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,
Thing is my bc is non-hormonal triple neg and i have been diagnosed with underactive thyroid 3 months ago, and they are just getting it under control now, i didn,t think there could be a link till now as i had bc over 17yrs ago previous and had no problem, but i had noticed over the yrs that my throat and neck was looking a bit swollen, then i was diagnosed oct 07 again and had mast and full node clearance it wasn,t till i had finished chemo that i was diagnosed with throid problem and i am currently on thyroxine 75mls, but i am having problems shifting the weight.
What i am trying to say is hormonal or not do you think there is a link with not just the bc but mabe with the chemo causing the imbalance, i don,t know what do you think.

Guest user
Not applicable

I too have had thyroid problems. Diagnosed with goitre 22 years ago and have taken 150 mcg thyroxine eversince. Had total thyroidectomy five years ago when they also found a parathyroid adenoma. I also had what they now call policystic ovary syndrome, which is also hormonal.

Guest user
Not applicable

That's awful, narnia, especially in view of the new Government campaign to get us all fitter. Depending on how much of a problem you have, you could ask to see a dietician. In any case, I would be inclined to mention this unhelpful woman next time you see your GP.

Guest user
Not applicable

maybe so, my daughter, who is 32, has also been diagnosed today with an underactive thyroid...........She, like me, can't shift any weight, I find it quite distressing to weigh what I do, but when i asked for help and advice at my surgery the nurse wouldn't give me any advice on weight loss, she simply told me I have to ' get my head around making lifestyle changes, and not rely on weight management help from them'!!.......i pointed out that I thought that was one of the reasons they were there, but she said no, i just have to figure it out for myself..................truly helpful!

Guest user
Not applicable

When I got thyroid problems, 30 years ago, they said that large hormone changes (puberty, pregnancy, menopause) could unsettle the thyroid. I am just wondering if those of you who have been catapaulted into an early menopause are at more risk? (I had it anyway) Also there is a strong connection with heredity and thyroid problems

Guest user
Not applicable

oh my! i was diagnosed with over active thyroid at 18 when it nearly caused me to have a heart attack, was on Carbimazole and propranalol for 6 yrs, til i got pregnant with youngest who is now 16 months, and just been diagnosed with BC. this is so weird, no one ever mentioned increased risk, although on breast care units questionnare it did ask about thyroid function. will have to ask the unit about it!

I was DX with BC in DEC 07, had WLE and sentinel node biopsy Dec 31, 1 lymph affected, then had 3x FEC and 3 x TAX and 4 weeks RADS. I started Tamoxifen in July put on weight, so complianed to ONC who did blood test to see if I had gone through the menopause, she then discovered I had under active thyroid which they are trying to stabilise, i'm on 100mg a day now and due for another blood test in FEB, they have said weight gain is due to thyroid put on another 8lbs since Sept. My mother had under active thyroid at 50, I'm 51. I thought that the RADS had brought it on? Who knows???

Sarah X

Guest user
Not applicable

Just another voice to add to the debate. I was dx BC September 1996. First I noticed of a thyroid problem was realising that I had a big lump in my throat August 08. Had blood tests and ultrasound - no hormonal imbalance showed up on bloods and ultrasound showed multi-nodular goitre which they said meant I didn't have anything to worry about, so I'm not on medication. Dr is now just keeping tabs on blood levels. Dx again with BC December 08 - local recurrence in site of previous operation and has mastectomy on 29.12.08. I had wondered whether the goitre had been as a result of my earlier radiotherapy - radiation on left side maybe damaging left side of thyroid making right side work harder, which is why the goitre's on the right side - but now having read these postings I'm wondering whether there's a more direct relationship.

Guest user
Not applicable

underactive thyroid for the last 3 years and on Levothyroxine 75mcg, dx with BC Sept this year

Guest user
Not applicable

i was dx bc for the 2nd time last oct and dx underactive thyroid 2mnths ago, on thyroxin they are still trying to stabilise it.
ithought i was just putting on weight because of the chemo, but i am finished that now, in august actually but can,t seem to shift
any weight no matter how hard i try.
reneexx

Guest user
Not applicable

underactive thyroid for the last two years or so,on 100mcg thyroxine daily, dx with BC sept this year....

Guest user
Not applicable

I had a partial thyroidectomy (benign nodules) in1997, diagnosed with breast cancer for the first time in 1999. I take 100mcg thyroxine.

Guest user
Not applicable

Overactive thyroid in 1991, Carbimazole and thyroxine which stabalised thyriod and no probs or drugs now. Last year had post men. bleed for 2 months found to have overactive endometrium, had biopsies and D and C, relief to find nothing cancerous. Lobular BC a year ago hormone receptive. Oh also have had psoriosis since 19 (in 1979) and still there although very mild now. I have wonderered is there was some link with there deseases. I know that there are family links.

Guest user
Not applicable

I have large benign thyroid nodules which are going to be shrunk down, would say it developed at same time as my breast cancer, thyroid function at low end of normal or high end of normal - can't remember!

Guest user
Not applicable

I was underactive age 12 (1992) and they put me on the pill a while to see if things sorted themselves out.

Guest user
Not applicable

My thyroid became overactive within a couple of months of taking Arimidex. I had to come off the Arimidex because it made me so nauseous, I thought that was why I had lost so much weight. My onc immediately suggested having a thyroid test - I would have assumed he'd think it was the nausea which had made me lose weight so there must be a connection even though he says not. The endocrinologist also said emphatically that there was no connection. I wonder if arimidex contains iodine as too much iodine in the diet can cause hyperthyroidism. I'm now on my second course of carbimazole as the first one didn't work, so fingers crossed.

Guest user
Not applicable

Another one here. Diagnosed underactive 14 years ago and diagnosed with BC three months ago

Guest user
Not applicable

Very Interesting - I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid when I was 19 years old ended up with Graves disease and had to have a thyroidectomy. 12 years later diagnosed with Breast cancer.

Thanks everyone for responding. I'll certainly look up those links and do that survey.

I counted 7 over-actives and 13 under-actives in your replies above, but I'm not sure how that relates to the overall population compared to the number of people using this site at this time.

I does seem to me that an inbalance in the hormone system could possibly have an effect of encouraging hormone strong cancers. I will be watching out for any further research on the possibility that plastics are contributing to increased hormones around the body.

thanks Pauline

Guest user
Not applicable

I was dx with nodule on thyroid and subsequently had a partial thyroidectomy. Now on 100 mcgs daily of thyroxin. 10 years after thyroid operation had dx of breast cancer....

Guest user
Not applicable

I too, have had an underactive thyroid since 1997, am on 125mcgs daily of thyroxine, diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005...

Guest user
Not applicable

Yet another one - thyroid removed 18 years ago, on thyroxine ever since 150 mcgs daily

Me too girls , underactive, been on thyroxine first, then generic brand , 150mcgs for over 15 years

Marge

Guest user
Not applicable

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid in 1993 and with breast cancer ten years later. Now take 150mcg of thyroxine daily. My mother was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid just after me, but didn't have BC.

Gwyn

Hi - I was also diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about 8 years before diagnosis of BC and have been on thyroxine 100mgs ever since. But bit naughty cos I forget to take it !

Liz xx

Guest user
Not applicable

oh my on this discussion

I was dx with an underactive thyroid June 2008, am taking thyroxine an DX with BC Dec 2008

someone should study this!

I've been really cold ever since my surgery, even when it has been hot and sunny, so they tested my thyroid function and it was at the lowest end of normal. I've felt less cold recently (hot flushes taking over as I go through chemo!) so haven't done anything about it - should I?

Kinden
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Me too, DX with underactive thyroid June 06 and BC April 08 xxx

I found out I had an underactive thyroid in 2002 and am now on Thyroxine. Was dx with bc in Apr 2007. My mum also has and underactive thyroid but doesn't have bc (and hopefully won't get it). It would be very interesting to see if there is a connection.

Guest user
Not applicable

My underactive thyroid (Hashimotos disease) was diagnosed after dx and after taking Arimidex for 3 years. My GP seems to think that there is some sort of link between BC and/or Arimidex. My consultant however thinks that the thyroid problem was pre-dx , going by the size of the benign tumours on my thyroid glands, but does accept that Arimidex may have made it worse. I am now on thyroxine, but can't get the dosage right. I am either underactive, feel tired , but otherwise ok or get overactive, less tired, but really bad palpiations and feel faint and headachy all the time. Certainly does make you wonder if there is a connection.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All

I had an overactive thyroid in 2001 and was treated with carbimizole and the radioactive iodine. I am now underactive and take thyroxine daily. I was diagnosed this year feb with BC finished treatment now on tamoxifen do you think there is a link?

Kay x

I thought some of you might find this BBC item of interest http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4258673.stm

There is also some interesting information on this site thyroid.about.com/library/derry/bl1a.htm ( omit the www. as this may not be acceptable to the moderators)

dawnhc

Guest user
Not applicable

I have an underactive thyroid. Dr's suspect this dates back to when I gave birth to my son in 2000 although not diagnosed till 2004. Am on 200mcg thyroxine per day. Diag BC April 2007 Am 36 now and also on Tamoxifen and think that I am going through menopause-only one period since last August
Jools

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone! Especially Walton - I thought you were a Facebook fanatic now,lol!!

This is interesting. I had radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer in March 98, then dx with underactive thyroid June 98. Just been dx with BC in July this year, surely this cant all be coincidence.

I take 200mcg per day of Thyroxine and thats for the rest of my life as far as I know.(49 now)

Jackiexx

Guest user
Not applicable

Very interesting. I was dx with underactive thyroid 3 years ago (am 52 now) and got dx with bc in june this year. I am waiting to see onc, had lumpectomy (tubular) and SNB, and am now waiting for confirmation of treatment (think it is rads and some sort of oral treatment - have hormone + but dont know which ones. Not been through menopause yet - guess thats coming with the treatment - I take 100mg of thyroxine daily. It is def on my list to ask the onc when I get to see him.

This is interesting. I am taking part in a Breakthrough Breast Cancer Study - open to anyone including those with dx of bc by the way. They are looking for 100,000 women to take part. As part of the questionnaire there is a question on thyroid problems in the family.

I do not as far as know have it but a strong family link. Grandmother on mother's side had it and died of cancer of the cervix. Sister has had it since 24 and now 50. She had part of thyroid removed as underactive. Then last ten years developed overactive. Now on tablets for rest of life.

I think I have read somewhere that they seem to think there be a link between bc and thyroid problems.