How often for ct scans?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows how often is safe for ct scans in a year?

My reason for asking is I generally have 2 ct scans in one year and also 2 bone scans. (original dx '03, recurrence in sternum '05, recurrence in scar april '07 with bilat mast, then nov '07 secondaries in lung and spine)

I had a ct scan in june 07 which was clear, then ct scan in oct 07 which picked up the lung and spine and one bone scan then, then another ct scan in march 08 and now a ct booked for next week so july 08 which i didnt ask for its a check up. so basically thats almost 4 scans in a year for ct and one bone scan so total of 5 scans. this seems a lot to me and i am wondering if i should postpone ct scan?

i feel really well at the moment my scan in march showed the lung tumours had stopped growing and the spine healin well - just from havin one rad to my spine and arimedex. no other treatment. apart from my freaky herbal things.

should i call and delay my scan? at least to september? what would you do? its so hard. as if i do delay and it has started growin again it would delay further treatment.

Rachel :slight_smile:

Hi Rachel,

I have a ct scan every three months or so. I have done so for the past three years. (I get results of most recent this afternoon - yikes!) I think this is pretty standard treatment for soft tissue mets. I would not cancel the scan, if I were you. You may well feel OK (and I hope that you ARE well) but the scan is the only way they can pick up any changes and alter your treatment accordingly, if needed. I once mentioned the safety aspect of ct scans to the radiologist and was told that you are more open to high levels of radiation if you fly a lot than from infrequent scans. I really don’t think it is an important issue in the greater scheme of things.

Jenny
x

Hi Xippy

interesting to see peoples comments on this…I dont want to have uneeded scans, but mostly because I hate the CTs. My onc is postponing one because my markers have been low and I feel well, (although he sent me for hip x ray as my left hip was quite painful for a little bit this month) I had one in april and would have had one at beginning of July on three month schedule. I would have it if I were you and it is booked - I think every 4 months seems pretty reasonable in terms of keeping a look out for changes.

Cathy
x

Hi Jenny and Cathy

Thanks for that - I will keep it its eased my mind knowin you have them regularly Jenny. :slight_smile:

Rachel x

Hi Rachel

Like Jenny, I’ve had regular 3 monthly CT scans for the past 3 years but my oncologist has just decided to stop doing them as my liver has stabilised from what it was.

I agree with Jenny, I wouldn’t cancel your scan as, although it’s horrible waiting for the results, at least you know what’s happening.

i am on a trial and going to be receiving ct scan every 6 weeks and bone scan every 12. The advantage will out weigh the risk i suspect.

Diane
xx

Wow - ok thank you all so much for your replies its really helpful!!! :slight_smile:
xx

Hi Zippy
I Raised this with my onc last time I saw him and his view was that the balance of risk was in favour of fairly frequent scans to stay in touch with any alarming changes. On the other hand he gave me 6 months to my next scan because I had a very good response to arimidex. A judgement call I think

Barbara

At the moment, I have scans at 6 weekly intervals, as there have been quite a few changes since the recurrences. But am hoping that after the next one (12thAug), they may be reduced to every 3 months. The last scan was very promising, showing a huge reduction in the liver tumours, but only marginal improvements in the lung mets. If ther are any remaining undcertainties, I’d rather the scans continued on a regular basis-agree with Barbara-it really is a call which has to be flexible depending on circumstances at the time.

Hello Ladies

I hope this makes sense!

Up to now I have only had 3 mthly ultrasound scans on my liver, chest x-ray (for lungs I presume) and 6 mthly bone scans. My OH is wondering if funding could be a reason I haven’t been offered a CT/MRI scan. Am I being naive in thinking that maybe my onc thinks it’s unnecessary as the disease has been showing to be stable. It seems to me that most of you ladies are receiving CTs as the norm. I will add this question to my list of questions for my visit on Fri, but would like to be fore-armed. I am suffering increased pain in my spine, so no doubt further investigation will follow.

Jen x

HI Jen

I’d be interested in the answer to this one as I was wondering why some people have ultrasounds whilst others have CTs or MRIs. I have private medical insurance (through hubby’s work) and was initially offered a PET CT and then MRIs of the liver. SInce there was progression, I’m now having CTs to check whether it spreads out of the liver. And I have never been offered an ultrasound!

Hope you get some answers

Kay x

Hi Kay

Ultrasounds arent bad - but have less resolution that CTs and are a franction of the price- about £125 vs £950.

CTs have better resolutions than ultrasound, but not as good as PET scans, MRIS (this is just my understanding - could be completely wrong) are better for looking at really specific areas. There are not alot of PET scanners in this country compared to the number in the USA.

hope you are OK,

Cathy