Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How old are you?

80 REPLIES 80
pecan

Re: How old are you?

Hi Donna,

I'm not exactly sure which post has made you feel better, but whatever it is, it's a good thing.  You'll find a lot of good stuff here.  Congratulations on finishing treatment.

Cathy

Donnah

I have just finished my treatment and am feeling very emotional and scared. Your post has mad me feel a lot better thank you x
Sue C
Community Champion

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Lisa,
Glad you found us, although sorry to see you here.
The early days of diagnosis are so difficult as the shock & uncertainty tends to turn your mind upside down & inside out for a while, we've all been there at some point.
There is so much anxious waiting at this stage & inevitably the mind goes into overdrive in trying to fill in the gaps, but
once your diagnosis is finalised & your treatment plan is in place, then it starts to feel better.
Do come & chat on here if you need to & when you start treatment there is the 'going through treatment' board where you will be able to chat to others at the same place you are.
Thankfully, bc is very treatable now, with some of the best outcomes there are.
ann x

grogcat

This all sounds so similar to me right now. I had a tender feeling lump with puckering of the skin. GP felt for swollen lymph nodes, asked me loads of questions and then told me he didn't think it was BC, but he'd refer me for tests just in case. After the mammogram, the ultrasound picked up a swollen lymph node and 3 biopsy samples were taken, 2 from my breast, one from my armpit. The consultant told me more or less there and then she's almost certain it's malignant. The mammogram in particular scores a 5/5 on the malignant scale. I am absolutely devestated and so is my husband who was with me at the clinic. Nothing seems real and everything in our lives has suddenly changed. I'll get the results of the biopsy back in two weeks, until then I won't know what stage it is, or even if it's spread any further. Such a scary time. Doing my best to remain positive but it's hard!

Lisa

CK

Hahaha, send all the hugs you want! My hairdresser is on the case for the wig and daughter has finally come to terms with it which helps!
Thanks for the good wishes. 2 weeks til I start! Heat beats so loud when I think of it!!!! X
SueW

Ck you are right I think if no one had asked I would have guot the hump lol think people can't do right for doing wrong around me at the moment x
Did you sort your wig in preparation? Good luck for when chemo starts x hope if I send a virtual hug it won't start you off xxxxx
CK

Get that SueW! You are just repeating yourself all night and the talking exhausts you but if they don't ask then you might think 'Don't they care!'

Tonight a customer came in I knew they wanted an update and when I said I start chemo on 4th Sept she said 'Awww!' the worse thing she could say! So me being me said 'What do you mean, awww? It's good I can be treated!' Ooops! I think she felt bad but then even worse wanted a cuddle on the way out and I can't handle cuddles at the moment, they get me going!!! It is a rather sensitive time though and I'm dreading the sympathtic looks when people see I've lost my hair!
SueW

Had a lovely time at the wedding but only stopped an hour I was tired but more mentally tires as it was the wedding of someone I work with and everyone was asking me how I was. I really wanted to just go and enjoy myself and blend into the background but it didn't happen xx
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Timmy, I'm 70 and had a Ductal tumour, which I'm glad to say is now gone. I've had chemo, and am undergoing radiotherapy at the moment. I got a lot of support through the different stages by hooking into the appropriate threads.  I'm sure you are very anxious and worried at the moment, but you have come to the right place. X

Jencat

How did the wedding go Sue? Did you manage YMCA?! Smiley Happy xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Timmy

Is this your first time here? If so, then welcome to the forum.

If you go to the GoingThrough Treatment section, you will be able to chat to other ladies going through the same as yourself.

Sending a hug xx

Timmy

Timmy

I'm 73 went for mammogram saw I had cancer had 5 biopsys got stage 2 lobular invasive oestrogen positive 12mm waiting for surgery
Mygel2

That feeling of control is so important, think it helps me stay sane.  It's one hell of a steep learning curve!  But it's amazing how quickly you pick all this stuff up isn't it?!  xxx

SueW

See I wouldn't have known the difference between tablets and would previous probsbly just blindly accept what ever I was told however through this process I am questioning lots of things so I feel a little bit in control xxx
Mygel2

I must say, it did amuse me.  I understand that most of the time the nurses don't have time to look at notes and check page after page of often illegible writing!  I was a little bit disappointed that my consultant hadn't though.   When I asked him which drug they would put me on after surgery he said tamoxifen.  When I said I thought it would be one of the AI's as I was a menopausal women ....... he asked why i thought I was already menopausal! He did look a bit embarassed and flicked to the gynae section of my notes when I told him I'd had a full hysterectomy including ovaries 3 years ago, lol.

xxx

SueW

Michelle that is funny (not that you had s hysterectomy) that they had not checked your notes if it had come up positive you would have been a medical wonder and worth a fortune x
Mygel2

Lol Sue W.  The admission nurse gave me a pot for urine specimen.  Knowing the drill (being a nurse) I asked why they needed a specimen, 'pregnancy test' she stated. I suggested she might want to check my notes as I had a full hysterectomy 3 years ago, Smiley LOL

SueW

Lmao they did a pregnancy test on me and said it is negative my response was thank goodness or the psych ward would be more appropriate than this one x
CherryBakewell

See, there's always some silver lining - we're obviously all so young and vibrant looking!!! Quite envious of Ann, shall be furiously scanning my medical notes for references to 'young, active breasts'!! 

Jencat

Cherry, just before I had my op I was asked about my last period because if it was less than 5 years ago I would have to have done a pregnancy test apparently! I'm 58! x
ann-m
Community Champion

hahaha, yes I remember feely oddly gratified to hear from the dr when she was doing my initial biopsy, that I had 'young, active breasts' at 55 !! 😁
CherryBakewell

I'm 50 so I rather gratified when the nurses who sorted out my cannula before my CT scan asked me if there was any chance I was pregnant!!! Hahaaa 😜

Sue C
Community Champion

rosietd

That's exactly how I feel too. Wow, it makes such a difference to be able to hear from you lovely ladies and to know it's not just me feeling that way - and that it is a normal way to feel when you are in this situation.

Chaffinch17

This is what is great about forums like this, we understand each other. I thought this today when we were in the park. Everyone is so normal but I am not anymore. I think that is what has hit me hard today. I like to be independent and crack on with life but I just can't at the moment from feeling perfectly well before.

Jencat

I thought it was only my daughter that didn't change loo rolls! xx

SueW

Charys I love your post x a miracle happened in my house I went the loo and a new roll was on the holder and the inner was in the bin I thought my family had been abducted and replaced by aliens x long may that change continue x
Charys
Community Champion

I remember that surreal feeling, as if life had changed, everything had changed, I had changed and yet everybody around me was carrying on as normal. I felt disconnected from the world in a way...I remember going to the garden centre the day after diagnosis and just ambling about staring at people wondering how they seemed so normal. A lady rang me from 'someone like you' and I recall saying to her...'it seems so pointless now, all the silly bickering over daft things between my husband and I'. She laughed, she was 2 years after diagnosis, and said 'Oh, trust me....that comes back....unfortunately'. lol The reason I say these things to you, is that I was diagnosed March 2016, and although only 1 and 1/2 years after diagnosis I am back to nagging the household for not throwing toilet roll inners away, etc etc etc. 'Surreal' goes over time, and YOU return.

rosietd

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago, surgery 10 days ago, biopsy results on Tuesday. I find life is surreal at the moment. Everything around you is carrying on as it always did, yet so much has changed. And life seems to split in two - my 'normal' life (work, home, friends) and then my cancer life (hospital appointments, emotional ups and downs, fear). Quite hard to get your head around. xx 

Caro

Cathy, you have summed up the "thankfully asleep" thing so well. When I wake at the moment, it is a sharp intake of breath at having to face it again. You have made me smile about the positivity comments too. Can't hear that from people at the moment! Felt the most support from those friends who have wept with me the last couple of days.  When I looked out the window this morning at everyone going about their business on a normal Sunday morning, I felt very alone and different from everyone. Hearing back from you girls has made a huge difference already. Thank you for sending me some strength this morning (will probably be nuts again in an hour but grateful to feel better at this moment in time). 

pecan

Another thing about feeling alone - I found my family was very non-commital about it, and I felt isolated.  Then my brother explained that he just doesn't know what to say.  You need to give them a lead, I guess.  And sometimes expect to hear things you just don't want to hear, of course, about being positive and strong and all that!  It's scary for us, but unknown to them.  Come here and scream when that happens.

pecan

Caro, yes, I found that if I was awake there was only one thing on my mind, and since the diagnosis there was no in between.  It was awake and thinking, or thankfully asleep.  It does get better.  Since the op I have found myself thinking of other things for a change.  (Like pain, and who is going to clean the bathroom... you know, everyday stuff!)

SueW

Caro x welcome and big hugs x
Caro

Means so much, Cathy and Ann, to hear you say that. Thank you. Have felt very alone the last few days even tho family and friends have been brilliant. . There is something about :3am at the moment when I am bolt awake with my heart pounding in my chest. . Reading the Threads has kept me going through last night. Thank you for your kind welcome xxx

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Caro,
Welcome to the forum, although sorry to see you here.
Getting a diagnosis is a shock, like you I was totally fit & well at diagnosis, we all generally are, as thankfully bc tends to hit picked up early. So thankfully it can now be dealt with.
Do come & chat whenever you need to, there's loads of us here where you are now, as well as those of us further down the line & out the other side.
ann x
pecan

Hi Caro, welcome to the forum.  This is the hardest part, the waiting, and wondering... stick around here at the lovely people who are ging through the same thing make it easier.  Feel free to rant!

I am 56, and found a lump 5 weeks ago.  Had surgery 4 days ago, and now waiting for results.

Cathy

Caro

52, diagnosed three days ago after being recalled from screening. Second stereo biopsy tomorrow morning because they are now worried about a second area in same breast. I am calm one minute then can't breathe with panic the next. Never ever felt this much fear! I work in a dept with about 100 ladies. Six colleagues diagnosed over last couple of years, similar ages. Head psychology feels messed up because ticked  mammo  off my "to do" list as a well woman and now being told I the opposite. May be 52 but feel like a scared kid! 

SueW

i agree PTT a doctor at the surgery told me her nan had BC 36 years ago and medicine wasnt as good as it is now but her grandmother is still with her at the age of 84 xx

Ptt23

Since I've been diagnosed and have been telling friends, it's amazing (frightening really) just how many people know of someone who has had BC. Thankfully majority ended with an all-clear result.

Charmaine42

Im 42 I found a lump in November ,one lump soon turned to two ,and I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago just had an MRI scan and I go Wednesday the 16th for my treatment plan.
Sue C
Community Champion

Chaffinch, so good that you have such a positive attitude. The best thing is that you caught it early and it is very treatable. Do you know whether you're be having chemo?

Chaffinch17

Thanks Sue, you are right this is my first day on the forum. I am glad that I am not the only person who has heard of The Alarm. One of my early claims to fame was being crushed up against the lead singer in a nightclub in North Wales where they hail from when I was about 18. I grew up only a few miles away from his wife and we are only 11 days apart in age, feels fated that I watched the programme. I only knew about it because my OH started watching it whilst cooking one evening when I was on the phone to my mum when my dad was very ill following treatment for Oesophageal cancer. OH doesn't normally watch that kind of thing but was immediately taken by the love story of Mike & Jules Peters and persuaded me to watch it on iplayer a few days later!

My dad is doing better now but one way and another it has been a horrible year for our family and this is just another blow. We are very positive people with a strong bond and good humour so we won't be beaten.

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Chaffinch

I'm not sure whether you've posted before, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you found yourself here, but all the ladies here are very supportive.

If you join the Going through Treatment section, then you can talk to others going through the same treatments as yourself.

Just a little aside.......I'm the same age as you and was a big 'Alarm' fan! I saw them at Brighton, when I was 18........one of the best concerts I went to.

Sue xx

Chaffinch17

My mother in law had BC about 18 months ago, she was 80 at the time. Her sister was diagnosed at 58. She had lumpectomy and 3 weeks of radiotherapy and has been fine since. Sadly her sister's story didn't have a happy ending, she was already in poor health and she had ignored hers for too long, she did live for a further 5 years though.

SueW

It would appear that bc had no respect for age and anyone is susceptible x good luck to each and everyone of you lovely lot xxxxx
Chaffinch17

I am 50 and only checked after watching a documentary about the lead Singer of the 80's band The Alarm during which his wife was diagnosed with BC. The program was supposed to be about his 25 years of living with cancer. Her friend had nagged her to check so now I am the nagging friend.

I found a lump, waited 3 weeks for GP appointment despite saying it was a breast lump. GP said she thought it was just a thickening but she examined me lying down and I could only feel it sitting up because quite deep.

breast clinic nearly 3 weeks later, mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy all done within 45 minutes. I was told by the lady who did the ultrasound before she started that she didn't like the look of the mammogram.

told by the consultant that day that it was highly likely to be cancer then the horrible 2 week wait for confirmation. I just wanted to know and have a plan. I got lucky when I went for results on Wednesday that the surgeon had a slot for yesterday, so 3cm lump now hopefully all gone! Results of that and biopsy of the removed lump nodes and further treatment plan in 3 weeks. Hopefully the waiting for that will be better because at least I know that the lump has gone.

bit sore and spaced today but not too bad, will be looking at sleeping tips though, struggling with that.

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Ladies

Seems like a wide range of ages after all! From early 30's up to 70's.

Sending a hug to you all.

Sue xx

Cathysid

Hi all,
I'm 39, diagnosed a couple of weeks ago after finding lump in armpit end of June. hoping to get started on treatment- initially chemo/herceptin/hormones in the next week or so. Seeing the oncologist Monday, bone scan Wednesday(aching hip is causing a bit of extra worry),
Cath x