How old are you?

Hi Ladies

I was diagnosed last year, at the age of 49, when I went for a mammogram due to swelling. Just wondering what age are you all on here and how did your diagnosis come about?

Sue xx

Age 50 and had skin tethering x consultant said lump was in a hard position to feel so thank goodness for that telltale sign though I didn’t know it meant cancer x

I’m 37 years old. I found a little lump in my left breast two months ago. Was told not to worry as is probably nothing due to my young age. After two weeks I went back to my GP panicing and crying, got referral to breast clinic and it turns out is not nothing but IDC. Lumpectomy scheduled next week. Xxx

Hi Sue C
I’m 51 and was diagnosed with grade 2 Ductal 3 weeks ago. I found a lump on the side of right boob so got myself to breast screening in May, then biopsies, MRI scan and lumpectomy. Now to be followed with chemo another op and radiotherapy. Hope you are alright now.xx

Hi.  I am 50. No lump for me.  Mine was discovered at my 1st routine mammogram.  Radiologist originally thought it was a benign ‘radial scar’.  Biopsied just in case and turned out to be breast cancer.  Still not sure if it is lobular or ductal, showed characteristics of both at biopsy.  Between Grade 1/2.  Hoping pathology results following the WLE and SNB will give a clearer picture.

Michele xxx

Had an achy, bruised feeling for a few days (didn’t think much of it as I have a 16 month old that I’m always lifting up and down). However, it bothered me enough to have a feel around and found a small, tender lump on the side of my right breast. Went straight to the dr who said she could feel it but it didn’t feel at all suspicious and it was probably hormonal and would go as my cycle continued. She made an appointment for me to go back 2 weeks later. I went back and lump was still there. She said she wasn’t at all concerned as it was smooth and moveable and the fact it was tender were all good signs that it was nothing to worry about but she made an referral to the breast clinic (so they could put my mind at ease!!)

8 days later I had a mammogram which showed an area of thickening, followed by an ultrasound and the words ‘sorry. It it does look suspicious’. 3 biopsies were taken (including one from a lymph node as the dr said they were very inflamed). She told me there and then it was cancer and that we should prepare our 3 kids for the definite diagnosis that would come the following week. No more info until the results came back the following week - grade 3 IDC with multiple affected lymph nodes. I’m awaiting a CT scan to see if it’s spread anywhere else and I’m beyond petrified.

I’m 45. Had months and months of really bad bloating which kept getting passed off as IBS. Eventually doctor did a CA125 test which was slightly elevated. The follow up tests were also elebated. Was then sent for an ultrasound on my ovaries, which was clear. CT scan was then done of my abdomen which showed the breast lump and growth on my liver. Then had MRI done before I was referred to breast clinic.

Hi Sue,

I was 57 when I found my lump (I’m 58 today, what a way to be celebrating!) It started with a pain in my breast and then a lump. My doctor thought it was blocked milk ducts as I’d already had that on my other breast. I said it didn’t seem the same, but she said it wouldn’t because of my age. Fortunately she referred me to the hospital to check. I still had another year to go until my next mammogram was due.

Marianne xx (Jencat)

I’m 50 normally very healthy. Had achy (premenstrual type pain) left boob, found a lump but it was quite big and at top thought it was hormonal! Breast then started to pucker! Hubby insisted I got it seen to, but we both were convinced it was a cyst or hormonal. GP referred me urgently and within 2 weeksausage of attending 1st hospital appointment, I was diagnosed with stage 3 er/hr positive breast cancer 8 lymph nodes removed with 1 cancerous and had full mastectomy.
Now had 1of my 6 chemo with Herceptin and tamoxifen to follow.
Very sad I didn’t discover it earlier. Stupidily thought breast cancer lumps were pea like under the arm and didn’t happen to someone like me ?!! Xxx

Hi Sue, I’m 53 and have had routine mammogram’s every two years through private screening that I choose to pay for.  I had no symptons whatsoever when I went two weeks ago.  

I missed my 2016 mammogram as the machines were out of order when I attended so the last one they had to compare was 2014 (3 years ago).  

I have recently been diagnosed with G2 14mm as per my earlier post and have my next appointment on 21st Aug prior to surgery on 20th Septmber.  The private Dr I see for my routine medical did not pick up the lump during my recent examination prior to my mammogram and suggested that it may not have been picked up last year at all (had the machines been operating!).  Technically speaking, I wasn’t due for screening until next year - it was only because I missed 2016 that he insisted I go.  Thank goodness he did.  Potentially I would have been living with this for at least another 12 months before anything had been picked up… gulp

I was invited for a trial mammogram for under 50’s (I was 48 nearly 49) last Nov. Found one lump of IDC grade 2 and sent for MRI that found another 6 small lumps therefore mastectomy. Pathology found another 3 so had 10 lumps altogether and didn’t feel ANY! One lucky lady and thanks to Public Health England and the NHS for the trial x

I am 43, was diagnosed at 42 on 29th March. 

I got put on the early screening programme after my sister was diagnosed last year (at 45). I had a bit of a battle with a gp, who didn’t think my family history was enough,  but thankfully my normal gp signed me up straight away.  I went to see the breast nurse who examined me and said in her letter “every thing feels entirely normal”.  So it was a real shock to get a recall after the mammogram.  I then had ultrasound, 2 biopsies and an mri. I had a bit of an indent and something that felt a bit like a tense muscle.  The consultant also said he wouldn’t have spotted it if it wasn’t bruised from the biopsy. It was only 1cm under the surface and was 19mm.  Before the lumpectomy I asked all my girly friends if the wanted to feel,  it wasn’t at all how I would have imagined a tumour to feel and had felt it before but it seemed to come and go so I didn’t think anything of it. The indent only appeared just after the nurse appointment.  

I know my sister only went to the doctor as she had a bruise that wouldn’t go away.  Hers had spread to her lymph nodes and she has had a mastectomy,  chemo,  radiotherapy,  herceptin and its having tamoxifen. 

I have had a lymph node biopsy (which was clear),  a lumpectomy and a tidy up reduction.  I have been taking tamoxifen for a month and started radiotherapy today. 

I’m 48 and found out my diagnosis yesterday so still getting used to the idea. Found a lump in my left breast about a month ago, got my appointment through very quickly. Went on my own for the mammogram and ultra sound thinking it’ll be fine, they’ll tell me it’s nothing, but when at the ultrasound they said they wanted to do a biopsy up I started to think this could be something.

The worst part was waiting for the results and although it was a shock yesterday, once I knew I could get into process mode (I’m a do-er!) and get things organised. Off on holiday on Saturday and thank god it’s a busy one rather than a sit by the pool doing nothing holiday, so won’t have much time to brood and think about what’s ahead.

Op likely to be a couple of days after I get back so quite a lot to sort both home and work wise in the next couple of days.

Maureen

Good morning Maureen sorry to see you here but welcome x I have found the support of everyone invaluable it is scary when you are first diagnosed but once you know what you are dealing with it makes it easier to get on with it x big hug to you

Hi, I’m 42 (41 at diagnosis in july)

I occasionally had achey boobs in the morning on getting up, which wasn’t the norm for me, so each time it happened id check for a lump but didn’t find one. Eventually after two ish months I thought I could see a flat area on the underside of my right breast. Went to gp who couldn’t see it, and she didn’t feel a lump either,but referred me for peace of mind as it had been over a couple if months.

At hospital they cleared my right breast of any cancer, but found a tiny lump in the left! Feeling lucky its been found by fluke, who knows his long it would have been before I found it?!!

I also invited my close girlfriends to have a feel of the lump, ad it didn’t feel how I expected it to. They were all surprised it didn’t feel harder and Aldo how much they had to push in to find it.

I’m 49 (46 at diagnosis) Mine was also found by a fluke, I was referred to the clinic with a lump I had found underneath my right breast though this was quickly dismissed as fat once I had been examined , mammogram showed all clear too , on to ultrasound which picked up a tiny area above my nipple that he wasn’t sure about so did a biopsy , results were some cancer cells forming on the outside of a benign fibrodenema , teeny area of 4mm that could have gone undetected for years as there was nothing to be felt so once all the shock of a diagnosis had settled I know how incredibly fortunate I have been! Xx 

I was 58 at diagnosis last year.  17mm tubular, grade 1, er+.  Op Oct 2016, rads which finished in january this year. and on tamoxifen for 5 years  MIne was also found as a result of a routine 3 yearly mammogram, championing them now :slight_smile:

I have a feeling I’m the oldest on this Forum.  I will soon be 73.  Joined because of a Bleeding nipple …received such comfort and support from this lovely group…referred by GP for mammo…diagnosed with benign Pappiloma (from mammo).  Waiting for op to remove it and biopsy,  At the pre-op assessment, my Peak Flow reading was very low, so they have referred me for a full Lung Function Test, before I have the Op.

All you ladies are so young and so brave. Wish you all, the ultimate success with your treatment and a long cancer free life ahead !!

Lots of love xxxx

Maureen I came back off holiday early hours of Tuesday morning. Be op same day hsvingvthe holiday was fab and set me up nicely for surgery have s fabulous time and keep in touch with us all xx