cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's everyone doing.?

1,240 REPLIES 1,240

Re: How's everyone doing.?

Thank you all so much, you have all made this process so much easier to navigate through. It is still sinking in i must admit. Thanks Ladybowler for the suggestion about the partial prothesis post. This is on my mind alot. Im still wearing a sports bra but i expect will start to want to wear my normal bras soon and most of them that ive tried on so far just wont work without some extra help.

I will check in on you all to see how you are doing now and then.

Big hugs to all and best wishes for your ongoing and future treatment.

PF

Xx

Ah wow so pleased for you PF.

What lovely news to read on here, I bet it's still sinking in.

I have small boobs and I just wear bras with padding - you would never know how small they are until I take the bra off 😉😂.

Really has made me smile reading your news xxx

Poppyfields

Oh that is fantastic news, I am sooo relieved and pleased for you mate, wow 🙂 🙂

Now I can not off hand remember but I am sure it was either Charys of Dizzybee (apologies to whichever one it wasnt) who got a partial prosthesis, if you post on the Progesterone thread one of them will be able to tell you about it

Helena xxx

What wonderful news for you. You must be thrilled.

Take good care of yourself xxx

Hi all, Had to wait around 90 minutes at hospital this morning which was torture but good pathology results for me!!
High risk lesion 9cm*4cm was removed. All benign.

Follow up mammogram in July. Then if OK yearly then if OK back into the screening programme. Surgeon said it will take 1 year for boob to settle completely in to its new size and shape so no point in contemplating any form of corrective/symmetry surgery for a year+. Just hope it doesn't shrink any further than it already has done this past week! I'm very relieved and glad to no longer have this "thing" hanging over my head, although I'm not really sure that it's completely sunk in yet... . I feel lucky to have come out of this with just one boob smaller than the other.
I'm going to start trying to wear normal bras and experiment on how to pad them out to get the best look.... See how I get on, then look at a partial prosthesis if necessary.
So any input gratefully received....!!
Xx

Thinking of you today  popptfields xxxx

I have everything crossed for tomorrow for you.

Speak tomorrow xx

Hi. Thank you, I think there's going to be difficulty fitting in all my "virtual" friends tmw at the appointment !!

I'm feeling quite calm now, nerves from the last few days gone (for now anyway. ) I just want to know and get on with it.

Everyone here is so supportive and making this whole thing so much easier to navigate.

I wish you well for Saturday but we'll speak before then I'm sure....

Big hug
Xx

PF I will be thinking of you.

i thought I was getting my results next thurs, but hospital called me today to say my results are in and my consultant has a clinic on Saturday. So my app is at 9am on Saturday!

I'm now feeling like you PF, I'm so nervous now. But like you I just want to know what the results are and get on with the next steps.

I hope you get some sleep tonight.

xx

Hi Angie,
Thanks for asking. On one hand I'll be pleased to finally find out one way or another what it is (it's been going on 3 months this time plus I had biopsies 14 months ago.) And on the other I'm abit nervous. But I think if it is bad news then it will have been caught early, be very treatable and I'll get on with whatever is next like you guys do.

You ladies here have been an inspiration to me both last time and this time round and I don't feel so scared/daunted as I did when I was first recalled after my abnormal mammogram back in November 2015!!

So thanks for all your support, I have my list of questions based on each possible scenario and also about reconstruction /reduction and prosthesises!!

I'll report back.
Best wishes.
Xx

Rach

That is brilliant news, you must be so pleased that you are getting nearer to starting and finishing treatment.
I'm hopeful I will be told the same next thurs, so far my treatment plan sounds very similar to yours. I just hope nothing else has showed up!

PF how are you feeling about 2moro? I'll be thinking of you xx

Thanks Ang

Finally, 4 weeks post op, I have some clarity on this beast. Chemo is definitely off the cards, such a relief. I am going to have 4 1/2 weeks of Radiotherapy followed by tamoxifen.

My planning meeting should be this week and treatment should start about a week later.

It's nearly time to smash this beast and get back to normal, whatever that may be !!!!

Good luck and sending hugs to all you lovely ladies out there 💕💕💕xxx

Hi Rach
Hope everything went well with Oncologist.

Thanks for letting me know about the gym, all sounds brilliant!
I will go back and speak the instructors, they're all really good and I'm there enough for them to know what I used to be able to do. Hopefully they will be able to adjust anything or tweak anything, so I can start back at classes.
I'll give it another couple of weeks, next week is half term here, so I wouldn't go as much anyway. I'll then ease myself back in.
I know it's crazy but it helps in every way going to the gym.
I'm enjoying walking and as long as I get a good few miles in, it keeps me sane!
Xx

O.s not seeing oncologist until this evening xx

I am a member of a crossfit gym. I spoke to my physio and she was ok with me going back, as long as I did not load weights. My coaches are absolute stars and made sure I have not overdone it or put myself at any risk.

I started by doing mainly leg work and the exercises given To me post surgery. If there was a run involved,I would walk it.

Instead of using the bar, I used a PVC pipe. This allowed me to keep moving without straining.

Once movement was more fluid, I progressed to the training bar which weighs about 5kg or two barbells weighing 2kg each.

I have not managed pull ups or and thing like that, but my coach rigged up a pull down bar using bands and a pipe. This allowed me to do the movements on my knees withought putting strain on my wounds. For toes to bar movement or knee raises, I would lay on my back and just raise and lower my legs. Great for the abs !!

Last week, I used the rowing machine for the first time and today i managed the full hour training, heavily scaled to my ability.

I only did about 20 mins to begin with, but being in the gym environment with my training partners helped me no end. I felt good being able to encourage them to continue after I had had enough and it made me feel normal again. I have not pushed myself to the limit, just taken it very easy to keep mobile and maintain the movement in my arm.

Listen to your body and check with your physio. I have not overdone it or strained myself, just enjoyed being back in the fold of my gym community. Being able to do this has had such a positive effect on my mental health and wellbeing.

Take care, I am here if you red anything more xxx

Sorry Rach, how did it go with Oncologist? x

Hi Rach
Can I ask what you do at the gym? My consultant has told me to avoid it for at least 4 weeks but physio said I'd be ok on a stationary bike after a couple. So I could do spin. I love classes and do everything from combat, pump, circuits, spin etc!
I've been walking about 4/5 miles a day, so I feel like i'm doing something at least. But am definitely missing my gym fix:)
Xx

4 weeks post op today, I had a lumpectomy and SNB. Today is a big day as I finally get to meet my oncologist to go through tjrough my pathology report and set my treatment plan.

Physically, I feel really well, just a bit tired. I have been back at the gym for a couple of weeks, but my coaches have adapted everything so that I keep moving, without putting any strain on the wounds. Mentally, it has been a godsend and I really feel that it has helped my recovery. I am very careful to listen to my body, so won't run as it puts a strain on my breast and won't lift weights for the same reason, just go through the technique. Every op and recovery is different. Take your time and you will be back before you know it.

Take care xxx

Hi Angie,

My wound has been healing well but it's been very slow for me recovering from the op/anaesthetic. It's 3 weeks now tmw and I'm not back to how I was before the op. I guess it takes time.
3 kids is alot to cope with so take it easy. Mine are teenagers so can at least can fend for themselves.

I was able to put the results out of my mind up until last week and now it's just constantly in my thoughts.
Anyway I will let you all know what happens.
Best wishes.
PF. Xx

Hi PF
I'm ok. The op was definitely more painful than I was expecting and am still sore! I think I was expecting a quick recovery and that I would be back at the gym within a couple of weeks!!
I'll let you know how it goes when the dressings are removed. I have 3 children and the youngest who is 5, finds looking at my previous scar from biopsy and now all the dressings fascinating, lol!!
Next week I will be having sleepless nights too as I'm back at hosp on 23rd for my results. I'm trying not to think too much about it at the moment.
Please let me know how you get on, on Thurs. And definitely find out about your options. I will be thinking of you.
Take care
Angie
Xx

Hi Ang14,
I've been wondering about how you were getting on. Are you recovering OK from your op so far?

I had mine on 25th Jan and it was only on about 9th Feb that it appeared overall smaller (overnight!) and with the dent and its been shrinking abit everyday since!

I've been reading about reduction of the other one to match so I will talk to my surgeon about both options. I'm a 36c so not overly big either!

I hope it goes OK when you have your dressings off. I think for me the worst part of post surgery so far is seeing my boob shrink these past few days.

I wish you well on Thurs and I get my pathology results on Thursday too. Thanks, it has helped talking to you alot cos we are sort of in a similar position.
I'm awake early cos I'm nervous about Thursday. I've been sleeping OK up until now. I gave up trying to go back to sleep and have got up for a cup of tea.

Big hug and best wishes.
Xx

Poppyfields
Really hope you're ok. I can't help you much. I had my lumpectomy last week with a partial reconstruction. I didn't outright choose for it. The consultant just told me that's what he would be doing. He explained and pointed out (several times) that because I have small boobs I definitely need the reconstruction. They took tissue away from near my ribs, I've still got the dressings on but can already see there is a dent there! I've got a hosp app on thurs to remove the dressings, not looking forward to seeing all the scars.
I do feel for you PF, it is horrible looking at all the changes in our body going through the processes and treatments.
Def speak to your consultant and get more info on the partial reconstruction. I'll let you know what mine looks like when I see it.
Take care xx

Hi Ali49, thanks for telling me your experience. I'll see what the surgeon says on Thursday but I certainly wouldn't rush into any decision.

It's not such a shock today looking in the mirror.... But.......!!!!

Best wishes to all.
Xx

Sorry for all the typos - fat fingers!!

Hi poppyfields i didnt have a quadeantectome but had a wle and a cavity shave. My boob was swollen then got a dip 8n after my first op. When i had the cavity shave i had a female surgeon who said she would move the tissue round to try and lessen the dip. However my nipple is quite disfigured now after 2 ops snd my boob (right) is a bit flat and not round at the nipple anymore. It also 'looks right' as if its not speaking to its mate on the left anymore! After 15 lots of radiothetapy it is also a bit tanned and feels firmer. In a bra lt is fine though and i still dont cover it up when walking to the bathroom etc. Some days i find it more difficult to look in a mirror as it makes me feel upset but other days it doesnt bother me. I dont need rec9nstruction but i have read that other people have had partial reconstructions so you can doscuss it and see of its right for you. I am sure that everything you are feeling is right for you after everything you have been through. Big hugs xx

Hi, just joined the site today, recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, having a mastectomy later on this month, considering a ADM implant...Acellular Dermal Matrix. Has anyone had this?

Thank you both of you. Im abit emotional today,  cant even bring myself to look today incase its even smaller! 

Xx

Poppyfields,

I've just had a mx, so can't help you, but I wanted to send you great big hugs.

Someone, will be along soon who has had the same procedure and I'm sure they will be able to put your mind at rest.

Poppyfields

I can not answer your questions, hopefully someone on here will be able to help you but I just wanted to send you a squishy hug and let you know you are in my thoughts

Loads of love

Helena xxx

Hi everyone, not sure where to post this but here goes....
Some of you may know from my posts in the waiting room that I had a quadrantectomy on 25th Jan. It all started around 14 months ago with suspicious microcalcifications and a small lump. All biopsied OK - Adenosis with microcalcifications and a fibroadenoma. I needed a 12 month follow-up which I had in November, the microcalcifications had multiplied in their 2 clusters (about 3cm) and changed characteristics to heterogeneous / pleomorphic and were classified as suspicious - moderate to high risk of malignancy. I was told that a vacuum assisted biopsy was insufficient this time and I needed a surgical biopsy under general anesthetic to take a larger sample. The surgeon agreed to remove the 1cm fibroadenoma aswell.

On the day of surgery following the 2 wire localisations done via both mammogram and ultrasound , the surgeon told me before going into theatre that he needed to take more tissue than he originally thought and I ended up with around a quarter of breast tissue being taken. Now, he did also say I may need further surgery depending on the results but I was under sedation by then and just assumed he meant depending on the pathology results. Ofcourse later once I knew I'd had a quadrantectomy I realise he was probably also referring to the possibility of reconstruction.

So, now the past 3 days I'm beginning to see my boob shrinking like a shriveling grape. It's now looking nearly half the size and I'm becoming more concerned (and today a bit upset) each time I shower and look in the mirror. Up until the past 3 days it was looking OK but ofcourse I realise now it was still a little swollen and is now settling down.

How long will it take to form its final shape? Is it going to take months? Has anyone had a partial reconstruction after a WLE/ lumpectomy /quadrantectomy? This is all new to me I hadn't looked into/read about partial reconstruction and I'm beginning to realise I may need it. (That's ofcourse unless the goal posts are moved following my pathology results.)

Im struggling abit currently , I wasn't totally mentally prepared to have that much tissue removed (although I know that things can change at the time of surgery.)

I'm seeing my surgeon on Thursday for my pathology results and can obviously talk to him about why he suddenly decided he needed to take more tissue than originally thought (although it maybe self explanatory given the pathology. ) and depending on the pathology results talk about what's next.
What questions should I definitely be asking?
Presumably the same wound would be used rather than making another one for a reconstruction?

So I'm struggling with still waiting for the results ( it's about 17 days so far) and now seeing my boob disappear before my eyes day by day.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks for listening.
Best wishes to all. This group has been a great support.
Xx

Hahaha - I slept upright on the sofa for 1 week propped up by pillows. I've never slept sitting up before, but is was the most comfortable.

Thanks Silver - that's exactly the same as me (where the SNB cut is) and i also have a little heart cushion under my arm. Having to sleep on my back propped up by my v pillow (with another 2 normal pillows underneath it)! Mind you this morning I woke up across the middle of the bed and my husband said "you've fell off your throne in the night" 😂😂😂

Hi Alex,

Yes, quite a lot of pain. I went round with my heart cushion under my arm for at least 3 weeks and couldn't sleep on that side for 2 weeks.

it has got better, but is still tender and painful just under the armpit where the SNB scar starts and coming under my non boob.

Those of you who have had a mx - did you have pain under your arm? I feel so bruised but worse a week after!

Susan

Oh so proud of you and especially as it means that I have been able to help xxx

Rach - sorry predictive text!

Each

Fab, fab, fab news.
Definitely deserves some celebrating

Xx

Thanks Silverlady, I think I was just a bit shocked at recovery time. I just assumed (I know very naive) that I'd be back to doing all my usual stuff within couple of weeks.
I'm a gym fanatic, go everyday:).
I'm doing all the exercises as told, I'm just not allowed to do any that involve lifting my arm higher than shoulder level. That's to do with the reconstruction, I think!
Mobility is fine though, at the moment.
I have physio in 4 weeks.
With 3 young children, it's trying to remember I can't be as agile as I'm used to.

My results are on 23rd, was hoping it would be a bit sooner.

Take care everyone
Xxx

Helena - I can remember you saying about having to have your arm above your head when having rads. So I have religiously exercised to make sure I'm o.k..

Susan

that was exactly the same with me, am still doing the exercises occasionally because I I get a bit of ache with using the computer during the day and it seems to help xx

rach

Thats great news and sucha  relief xx Yay onwards and upwards to rads which you will easily do xxx

Hi Ang, The reason we aren't supposed to lift anything heavy, or vacuum or iron, is to do with your lymph node removal more than your op. If you over do it, you may end up with lympodemia, I was told by my BCN. I stuck rigidly to the 4 weeks, not even having bubbles in my bath and did all the exercises and now have full movement in my arm & it's only 8 weeks later.

I still did the household chores, just got people to lift the heavy stuff. It just took longer.

It does get more painful for a couple of weeks but then does get better. I was back to work before my 4 weeks was up.

That's excellent news Rach.

You dance away, we have to enjoy these small little victories- it gets us ready for the next bit.

You must celebrate with your favourite food tonight 😂😂

Really great news, rach. *joins in happy dance*

Ali xx

Just got the call from the hospital. HER2 fish test came back negative so seeing oncologist next Tuesday. Looking like just radiotherapy so such a relief xxx

It's a strange feeling though. I am celebrating the news of not needing chemo, forgetting that I am still going to have to go through radiotherapy and 10years of tamoxifen.

Happy dance is still going on though xx💃💃💕💕

Thanks Alex.

I was home yesterday after just one night. I was lucky enough not to have drains. But I wasn't expecting to be in as much pain as I'm in and too feel so sore every time I move! Not really sure what I was expecting.
And to be told I can't do much for 4 weeks, I think I'm going to get very bored, lol.
Hope everyone else is ok xx

Hi Ang14 - suppose it depends on each health trust - I was told when I was having a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (implant) I'd be in 2-3 days but I came home the next day - my observations etc were all normal, pain was manageable, drain was draining normal so they were happy to discharge me although I was given the choice to stay. Maybe they just prepare you in case you need to stay in.

Hi LB

I'm not really sure why i'm staying in that long. They told me on the day I was diagnosed so all a bit of a blur. I keep thinking maybe I misheard but my husband was there and says they definitely said that.
I shall find out more on Monday but just wondered if anyone else had stayed in?
xx

Ang14

Is the reason you are going to be in for 1/2 days perhaps because of you having a partial reconstruction?  One of the other ladies on here might be able to help you on this one.