68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Respond to the "Which Tit Was It?" Visual Inspection?

36 REPLIES 36
Horseslave

Re: How to Respond to the "Which Tit Was It?" Visual Inspection?

The next person to compare it to their experience giving birth is going to get a smack in the face. Simple.
I have noticed everyone scanning my chest but it's natural to be curious. My friend wanted to feel the port to the implant, she was fascinated!
story_so_far

I too think that this thread is quite funny.  When I see people who knew about my ops,  some of them do the face of 'oh I understand' which I know that they can't possibly, or they keep looking at my face when I am talking, then sneek a quick look  still trying to remember which one it was! 

JaneyW

I'm bumping this thread as it made me laugh. Can't say I've noticed boob staring, but I have a few cracking one-liners ready now for if it ever happens!

Jane
Tiny_Tina

When I met people for the first time after surgery they would say hello but look at my breasts. I got so fed up with it (I had WLE) I would say "Hello, still got two".
Tina
x

cherub

I hated wearing my wig lovely as she was, so I used to opt for a quilted skull cap with all manner of different coloured and patterned bandanas over it. One day after I'd been for an oncology check up we went into Costa Coffee in the town centre near the hospital. 3 blokes came in and all of them stared at my head as they walked past to sit down. I couldn't help it, I just said in a really loud voice "didn't your mums ever teach you it's rude to stare at people?" It was worth it to see the looks on their faces and they left as quickly as they'd drunk their cappucinos.

ChoccieMuffin

Great thread to resurrect!

Guest user
Not applicable

See, I'm still at the stage of being so impressed with my new boob I'm offended if they don't look.. Haha.

Although it did take my male boss a while to discuss my delicate situation, and he looks at everyone's boobs lol.

Everyone is fascinated I had a discussion with friends primary age kids who were confused that I still had a boob. must have thought mum was lying. Lol...

Reconstruction is a wonderful thing. The docs are so clever...
scottishlass

Oooooh I coud think of a few reples but I am afraid they are not printable! It is the men who look who disturb me. I have been tempted to look at their crotch if they do this!

CheshireCheese

What I find most difficult is how to tell people that I didn't have to have a breast removed, it's not something you can just come out and say. I've discovered that most people, particularly male colleagues, assume BC = mastectomy, and it's important to me that I was so lucky and DIDN'T have to have a Mx. Even women, when I say I didn't have Mx, assume I've had implants or something. I was just VERY lucky that the breast surgeon at my local hospital is trained in breast cancer surgery AND plastic surgery techniques so does a combined lumpectomy and "boob job". But it's not easy to explain in a work setting! Of course with friends and relatives I just show them the result and most of them (particularly the ones with sagging boobs) are a bit jealous.

I hope this ramble makes sense, it's an aspect of BC I've been finding difficult to deal with since going back to work.

Sarah x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

A badge or a t shirt with an arrow and 'This is the one that tried to kill me' should do the job. I think you can buy similar t-shirts on the net.

J xx

elinda45

Yamslass - your post made me laugh because I do the same. I suppose we're trying to remember what it was like to have breasts. If anyone says to me to talk to their face and not their chest I'll know the problem has got out of hand!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Not had this problem as such; however when I went to my dentist (cracked filling); updated her with info due to rads etc. She seemed start to stare I'm sure she should be looking in my mouth! Not at chest.

Anyway her assistant noticed & shoved an instrument in her hand which seemed to jolt her out of what appeared to a trance. I didn't have the heart to point out she was staring at the wrong one!

yamslass

I have the opposite problem just now. I had a double mastectomy (no recon) in December and lately, probably because it's summer and so many well endowed ladies are scantily clad, I am finding myself looking at every breast I see. If anyone notices they are going to think I am some sort of weirdo. Must control myself! 🙂

nymeria

I think really it depends on how they look and for how long. A quick glance is a natural reaction but to keep looking is something else entirely and I really wish people wouldn't do it. I want people to talk to me not my chest. However, I was never going to win prizes in the cleavage department being so small, so maybe I should appreciate that my chest is finally getting some attention! 😄

elinda45

I don't have exactly the same problem. I had huge huge breasts 38F and had a double mx and have opted for very small prostheses. I often think people who don't know about the cancer or even those that do must think how much they've diminished. I couldn't blame people for looking, I'm sure I would if the tables were turned. Elinda x

Guest user
Not applicable

yesterday i saw a lady who works with hubby feww years back she had a boob job... i never paid much interest before, but yesterday i couldnt take my eyes off them!

nymeria

I sit on a local community association committee and have just been to my first meeting since mx, chemo, rads etc and I wish I'd had the tee shirt with 'it was this one - now just get over it!'. Mind you by the end of the evening and all the surreptitious looks at both my chest and my wig what I really wanted was a tee shirt saying 'please don't stare as a smack in the face may cause offence! 😄

Children I can cope with but really adults should know better. I know it's human nature to look but far too many people make it so flipping obvious.

Guest user
Not applicable

not long after my MX i was in asda and saw a friend with her hubby who had just had surgery on his shoulder.... he proudly showed me his scar, I declined to show mine... would have just not in asda!

Guest user
Not applicable

Yeah, I get in first. I offer to show people the biposy bruises and post surgery will show them the scars etc.
While I was waiting for results my senior manager did glance at my chest and then said "oh I have heard about your little problem", but I had to laugh as he looked so awkward and expected me to burst into tears.
My biggest issue are people doing the "looking up my nose" tilted head chat and talking to me as if I am simple.
But I would rather people spoke to me, then walking past me looking at the ground, I find that really hard to deal with.

CheshireCheese

Hmmmm. Tempting. But I work in a large open plan office full of engineers, 98% of them male, so that could be a quick route to a number of heart attacks (for them) and a P45 (for me)!

Guest user
Not applicable

I get it out!

In the garden, in the passenger seat of the car, in the kitchen, down the path, in the staffroom.

- tend to find they don't look again!

x

CheshireCheese

Nor did I have the type of boobs that caused stares (and once you're past 50 you become invisible to many people anyway) I think it's just natural curiosity when they know you've had breast surgery. I just wish people would be a bit more subtle about it.

The idea of a badge with an arrow is worth considering.....

Guest user
Not applicable

I didnt have the type of boobs to get stared at b4 MX and I cant say that I have noticed any looks now.....

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm like daisyleaf it's not bothered me to much, maybe as I can be wicked back to certain comments. Just after mx I popped into work and the questions flowed and looks so I whipped my top up and flashed my scar, there where a lot of dropped jaws, also I have if someone stares too much trying to work out which boob is what, pull out my softy and said I feel a right tit, even if it's the left!!!
But as my 4 yr old granddaughter introduces me as " this is my nanny she only has one boob and wears a comfy cushion" you can't become to worried about the reaction I get .

Guest user
Not applicable

I actually considered making myself a pointy arrow badge that said 'it was this one - now just get over it!'

I know what you mean about the 'how are you...?!' sympathetic tone / tilted head - TALK TO ME ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

I can't say I've ever had a problem. I've never noticed anyone staring. When I went back to work after my recon, nearly everyone spoke openly to me, telling me how great it looked. I don't know if it was because I was very open myself and told everyone why I was having time off before I went on sick leave but I was never made to feel uncomfortable.

CheshireCheese

Any more ideas from anyone? I liked Cherryorchard's suggestion of saying "The surgeon did such a great job you can't tell, can you?" as a polite way of pointing out that they've been caught staring!

DJ007

That would be priceless!
Dx

CheshireCheese

One thought I did have was to buy a pair of those false strap on rubber boobs that featured in one TV episode of Black Adder, wear them under a coat or jumper, then if I attend a meeting with someone I've not seen since my surgery I could just whip the coat/jumper off and ask "what do you think of the finished result?"

Sarah x

Guest user
Not applicable

Daisyleaf, I'm with you. wore wig so others weren't embarrassed now don't give a damm take me as you find me is the place i'm at. only wear wiggy when i'm cold. Chris x

ChoccieMuffin

Cherryorchard, I read that story before and fell over laughing, and even though I knew what was coming I again found myself rolling on the floor!

The only time I've deliberately played "guess the boob" was when another forum member asked me if I could tell which one. I couldn't (obviously).

I certainly haven't done it knowingly but I suspect I may have been guilty of looking chestwards. So to those I have met, if I have, I apologise if I've caused offense.

Guest user
Not applicable

excellent, its on a par with the hair loss starers - once I figured out that it was their problem i couldn't give a damn. Caught one older lady staring at me with my bald head and cap on in supermarket car park. I rolled down the window and said to her 'yeah I'm bald, having chemotherapy, OK?'. she was mortified, but hopefully won't be so ignorant with anyone else.

cherryorchard

This is something that happened to me about two weeks ago and would seem to be the right place to share from the thread's title. I posted it under starting chemo in May.

I am bored, Bored, BORED with cancer. I want to be able to start a conversation with someone that doesn't begin with, "How are you?" while they try and look (a) interested and (b) put on their empathetic, "I understand how you must be feeling" face. The men who ask me that question are at least amusing because you can see them trying to work out which one of my breasts has been mangled. I actually caught one of them staring at my chest so openly while supposedly talkng to my face that I thrust out my chest and said, "The surgeon did such a great job you can't tell, can you?" I pointed to the one which was affected and he actually started to reach across to touch it, whereupon his wife shouted his name and grabbed his hand. Best moment I had all weekend

Guest user
Not applicable

I just told people and it was never an issue for me or for them. not sure why it didn't bother me but it just didn't

Guest user
Not applicable

YES!! So glad someone has asked this. It's bothered me for ages.
When first DX, my area manager came to see me, and spoke to my chest for quite a while. I only ever said to OH about it.
I've had it on the rare occasion that i've told anyone, and now never tell anyone, partly because of that.
To me it's private. It's part of my medical records and to me it's confidential.

I haven't had surgery, but have played 'guess the bap!'

Guest user
Not applicable

I've seen most people sneek a peek trying not to be obvious about it.
It's made me feel scrutinised to be honest and uncomfortable.

Although I do have to admit that I'd probably try and look on the sly too, I think it's natural curiosity. It's just upsetting when its happening to you! I've not said anything to anybody about it because I've thought I'd probably do it myself (guilty smile)

CheshireCheese

How to Respond to the "Which Tit Was It?" Visual Inspection?

Hi All

When I returned to work in January I had a few occasions when it was obvious that the person I was speaking to had assumed that I had had a mastectomy and was staring at my chest and trying to work out which side I had had the cancer on. I dealt with this by being quite open about the surgery I had actually had (lumpectomy combined with breast lift/reduction). That worked really well with my colleagues and all the speculative looks stopped quite rapidly.

But today I was quite taken aback when I visited a client's offices and met someone I hadn't seen since before my BC surgery, and was subjected to the same visual inspection of my boobs - and not even very subtly!

Have any of you suffered this reaction - I'm sure it must happen to loads of us - and how have you handled it? I would have loved to say something, but couldn't think of the right words quickly enough.

Sarah x