Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to decide what surgery is best

4 REPLIES 4
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: How to decide what surgery is best

Hello,

Hope you got my PM too. I've had expanders in as I had to have radiotherapy and they took quite alot of skin.

There was a thread a while back by ladies who'd had natural births after DIEP. I'll try and find it for you. It's nice to read the stories from women who go on to get pregnant. It's so difficult to get away from the pregnancy thing at our age. My friends are popping them out left, right and centre

Would you be able to have an implant and then have it replaced with DIEP at a later date (if you want to?). My plastic surgeon suggested that as an option when we discussed children as he said it's easier to do following pregnancy as you have more tummy flesh and the veins are bigger. But I'll be on Tamoxifen and just want surgery etc over and done with.

X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for replying so quickly Ive been quite emotional this week feeling very lonely its nice to talk to someone who understands. My surgeon hasn't offered the expanders just surgery and maybe a lift on my other breast to even them up a bit as I have a large breasts and not much stomach fat. Its all confusing pregnancy is constantly on my mind and im worried that the scar on my stomach my prevent me having a natural birth later down the line.

Thanks

Hi Kelly and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support you will receive here from your fellow users, please feel free to call our helpline team on 0808 800 6000, here you can talk through your concerns and options, the lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2

I am posting a link to the BCC reconstruction publication which you may find helpful:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-reconstruction-bcc7

BCC offer younger women's support services which you may be interested in, you can read more here:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/younger-women

Take care
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kelly,

I was diagnosed in May at the age of 33 and am also HER2+++. It must have been awful dealing with the grief of your miscarriage at the same time as your diagnosis.My husband and I had just started trying for children so I know the fertility worries too...

I had my chemo first too and it gave me plenty of time to meet different oncoplastic surgeons to research the different recon options. I also went on the BCC Young Women's Forum which had a really useful seminar on reconstruction where there were some similar aged girls who'd had their recon and were so pleased with it that they were happy to show me - they'd all had the DIEP flap recon - and it looked really natural with amazing results. Obviously the best recon will vary from individual to individual as we all have different shaped bodies and lifestyles and there are various risks involved, so personal choices will also come into it. I decided to go for immediate reconstruction with temporary expanders as I had to have radiotherapy and will have a DIEP done late next year. Implants are quite unnatural looking and doesn't feel like part of you need to be changed over the years . They just kind of sit there. The DIEP is much more natural looking and (if it all goes to plan) is a longterm solution. I don't know if the permanent implants feel anything like my temporary ones - but mine do feel rather strange - really hard. But also very perky!!

The only thing that worries me about the DIEP is the surgery time and recovery time.

Has your surgeon shown you pictures? There's a really good PDF on recon - will see if I can find it for you.

Good luck with your decision.

X

Guest user
Not applicable

How to decide what surgery is best

Hi everyone,

This is my first time talking to anyone other than my husband. I am 32 and was diagnosed with HER2 positive breast cancer on the 17th August 2011. It was such a shock I had only been married a few months and had just suffered a miscarriage at 11 weeks so my world was already upside down.
I am having my 5th chemo tom and have just been discussing surgery with my consultant I am having reconstruction at the same time. I have been offered an implant or a proceedure using my stomach fat to create a new breast. Im very confused about which one is the best option and wondered if anyone else has had surgery and can offer any advice.

Thanks Kelly