How to detect new primary/recurrence in reconstruction(s)

I’m interested in people’s views about this.

I had a left mastectomy 4+ years ago and haven’t had a reconstruction yet.  I will probably have to make a decision about a prophylactic right mastectomy sometime soon.  I’m not sure I can bear the thought of being completely flat-chested so would probably opt for a double reconstruction.

My question is - how does one detect a new primary/recurrence which could occur under a reconstruction?  Mammograms would no longer be done presumably and I can’t see anyone agreeing to do a CT or PET scan regularly (on the NHS).  It scares me because I know new primaries/recurrences can occur in/beneath/around reconstructions and I personally know of someone who now has secondaries and her recurrence (which metastacised) occurred under the reconstruction.   

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Good question skinnyminx, but how does a recurrence or new primary occur when there is no breast tissue left??
You are right, mammograms are not performed on reconstructed breasts ( well not mine anyway) so I guess you just have to be extra vigilant and check for any changes to the scar area etc, but I really don’t know how they can check UNDERNEATH the reconstruction . Any others thoughts ??

Hi skinny minx

I know you have read my post but I didn’t say how I found it. Unlike yourself I had my reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy, tram flam using tummy fat etc. but still hope this helps. I found my new lump because I had an itch in my left breast. Due to lack of sensation it’s nots always easy to find where an itch is so tend to scratch a wider area and BAM found it and then ignored it for 2 months until it itched again. The nurse told me us women know our bodies better than we think so if you do find something just get it checked.

Good luck

X

Thank you for the replies ladies.

@Naz: Although technically no breast tissue left, recurrences do seem to occur in ladies who have had mastectomies, node clearance and reconstructions. In some instances there must enough tissue/skin left in which cancer cells proliferate.  The person I know who this happened to had a recurrence underneath the top edge of the implant :smileysad:

@MissGreen - interesting to know your symptoms, thanks.