How to get rid of bruises.

I have previously had 3 x FEC and no problems at all, still working etc etc. But the veins have gone very hard. I went to have the first of my Taxatore last week and due to an allergic reaction to it couldn’t have it. So have to have Paclitaxel on Tue. However, cos of the damage to my viens on FEC I was “stabbed” 6 times, 3 trying to get bloods and 3 for the cannula. My arms are all battered and bruised now and quite sore. So what will happen on Tue. I can’t use my other arm as had BC there 6 years ago with full clearance so that arm can’t be used. I said all along no picc, hickman line or protacath. But wondering if I should reconsider this option. But only have 3 more to go. What do you think?

Hi Mandy, I do sympathise as have a similar problem. After my first FEC I had a picc line in as they said my veins wouldn’t last for 5 more. I only had chemo in it once then it got blocked (not my fault just one of those things,very rare they said) so I am back to having it in the hand now. I’ve had 4 FEC now. When I had number 4 I had a heat pad on my lower arm and it was loads better, ask for one if you can. My arm is pretty bad too. It’s sore, red and I can’t straighten it, having physio on it at the mo. The vein at my elbow where bloods are taken from is very very hard! I rub aqueuos cream on my lower arm every night and it’s definately helping. The ibruprofen gel didn’t help for me but I know some ladies like it. My physio has shown me some massage techniques to “loosen” the hardened veins as that’s what’s causing my bent arm.

I wouldn’t rule out a line completely. I regret in that it only lasted one cycle, but it was painless having it put in. The only thing is now the warmer weather is here it would show, you would need to wear a sleeve thing over it. I don’t know anyting about the hickman or portacath but my friend had a cental line in and she is doing ok with that. In hindsight I would have had one of those from the start but again it shows above the breast.

I wonder if the Paclitaxel might not be as damaging to the veins as FEC, as it’s the E and the C bits that cause the vein damage I believe. If it’s not as damaging your arm may improve.

Hope I’ve been of a little help, all the best.

Liz x

I had FEC originally and it scarred my veins to such an extent that when I had my second lot of chemo (paclitaxel) there was no choice but to have a portacath and it is so much easier and less painful than being cannulated.

Hi,

I’m having probs too with my veins, and am hoping to have a hickman fitted this week. I still have 6 chemos to go though! I have been having loads of blood taken recently (was in hospital), from the minor veins in my right hand, so they are covered in bruises. I find ARNICA cream really helps reduce the bruising. You can also take pills for it.

Nothing to lose huh?!