How to get wig to stay in place once my hair starts growing back?

Has anyone successfully managed to wear a wig once their hair starts growing back?

When I first wore my wig, I still had a little hair left that I tucked into a nylon 60 denier cap with the wig on top. However, the cap kept riding up taking the wig with it and I spent the whole evening in and out of the loo pulling the cap back down!

The very next day, I shaved off the remaining hair and have worn the wig without the cap and have since had no problems . No need for any tape etc.

I have now finished chemotherapy and would prefer to wear the wig for the school run and for work until my hair reaches a short bob length.

Has anyone managed to do this successfully? How did you do it? Doesn’t the wig tend to slide off your hair?

Thanks.

Its never simple is it? I hated my wig with a passion -even though I was hugely pleased with it when it was new.I mainly wore Buffs -having experimented with bandanas and scarves along the way.
I found that I could comfortably wear the Buff with the wig on top -and no slippage at all. My wig was a wavy short style so any movement would have been obvious. Having said that I didnt do this at a warm time - this was late winter/early spring so no concerns about overheating!!

I really relished the feeling of wind blowing through my minicscule hair when I finally went ‘topless’ though.

Good luck -once it starts growing it will make every day a voyage of discovery (hair wise)

I always wore my wig with a narrow scarf tied round it, headband style to keep it in place.

Congratulations on finishing the chemotherapy!

xxxx

I only wore my wig 3 times. I just wore specially cut bandanas all the time with a quilted cotton skull cap underneath. The skullcap gave your head a better shape so you didn’t look totally bald. I uncovered my head when it was like a crew cut, I didn’t care who saw me.

Marisa, I am still wearing my wigs too. I just pop them over my hair. I do have to pull the top of the wig forward every now and then but it seems to stay in place and work for me. I was never a fan of the chemo scarf look. I recently cut one of my expensive wigs up into a short style and wear it with a narrow scarf round it sometimes. I have to say that for me wearing wigs is so much fun. I can have lots of different hairstyles that I could never have had before. Having said that, I do wear my own hair, which is getting quite long, most these days but nice to have the option of the wigs. Cherub, the skull cap sounds like a good idea. Is your wig a short or long style Marisa? I think a wavy style with a side parting is probably the most flattering and real. Let me know how you do. x

Thank you all for your replies.

Unafitz - I do wear a Buff at home, so I will try this under my wig.

Justme - My wig is a sleek bob style with an off-centre parting. The length stops a couple of inches above my shoulders. I’ll have to experiment with a scarf to see if it will work with this style.

Cherub - the short hair itself doesn’t really bother me either; but being a private person, I have told only close friends of my diagnosis. I don’t want to give the “game” away now and have to start sharing my medical history with relative strangers! My 3 young daughters are bothered my lack of hair (only when I go out in public) and I would like to please them too. I really love my wig - so many people have asked my where I get my hair done etc! I’ll happily wear a bandana etc when I am away from my home area - so I will look into the quilted cap.

Teacup - That’s really reassuring to hear. Do you mind me asking how long your hair is now and when you stopped chemo? Has it grown back in a different colour/texture and have you had it cut yet? Sorry, lots of questions!

different things for different people - while i lost patience with the wig because i felt too hot and went commando i do respect people who feel that they don’t want the world to know I wonder if some of the special doublesided sticky tape for wigs would help at the front?

i’m at the annie lennox stage and it’s bright silver and strangers think i have just chosen a statement hair cut! i guess it’s an inch long and that has grown since July.

I just found I couldn’t be bothered with the tape and fiddling about to put it on. It was kept on a polystyrene head at the top of the stairs outside the loo and the cat used to sit and stare at it!

what’s a buff?

I must admit, that my hair has now grown back, still very short, but am struggling to give up on wearing my scarf, so am interested in all the tips.

Hi all, I ditched my hats/ scarves after 5 weeks hair growth! I was going on a cruise and I thought well nobody knows me, so I went for it. Hardly anyone batted an eyelid apart from a child that said “mum that lady looks like a man!” but I thought it was funny. Since my return I keep getting stopped in random places and told “I love your hair”. It’s bizarre. It’s prob an inch all over now. Before chemo I had lovely shoulder length brunette hair and now it’s completely grey. So the motto is go for it ladies! I teach one day a week and the kids love my hair.

A buff can be bought from outdoor shops, and it’s a tube of material that can be made into different types of headwear. There are loads of lovely colours/ patterns.

Liz x

I stopped wearing my wig when the hair was about half an inch all over. It just got too hot. Before that I had no trouble with keeping it on without aids.

If I wasn’t wearing it, then I had either silk turbans [from Patra] or large scarves to keep my head warm.

Thanks for your replies.

It looks as if I may have to abandon the wig earlier than I planned to! I’ll try to keep going as long as I can.

You can see a buff at the bandanashop website.

As quarteter says, it is a thin microfibre tube. I wear mine as a beanie. The video on the link shows lots of other ways to wear them.

I would welcome any more opinions on the wig-wearing!