74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge cock-up yesterday in hospital...devastated!

8 REPLIES 8
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Huge cock-up yesterday in hospital...devastated!

Hi LB, thanks for your reply, yes starting to get the pain now...I thought I was getting off quite likely...I should have known! I will take as much control as I can, I feel like I had taken back the reigns once I had my op date but now I've lost them again! Hope you're recovering well after your surgery. Love Sue x

Sue, that would upset me too. I had my SLNB a week before mx/reconstruction. I had the same problem in getting two surgeons during the time of two bank holidays. It is a bit ouchie and mine settled by the time the next surgery. Hang in there Sue and yes, be an advocate for your care - stay on top of it. Warm hugs to you, LB, x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lola65, thanks for your reply. I think I was thinking that I was going to get away with it being pretty painless, but it's beginning to hurt now, but you're right - more discomfort than pain. Yes the foot stomping has started, the only trouble is my breast care nurse is off this week and surgeon next week, so I suspect this may stop things getting hurried along, but I will do my best to keep on top of them. Thanks for taking the time to reply and I hope things are all ok with you. Love Sue x

Hi Sue,

What a really awful cock up, and so stressful for you. I would do a bit of foot stamping and shouting to make sure you get the next operation far sooner than April.

As for the SNB I had this done on 18th January with hardly any pain at all so far. I had 3 nodes removed (which turned out to be 4 when the pathologist examined them). The scar has healed nicely. The armpit area did feel a bit red raw, although it never actually looked red, but it was discomfort rather than pain. I never needed any painkillers. I have no trouble with discomfort in bed but had to get used to sleeping on the other side from normal, and swapping places with OH. The dressing came off about day 5. You just have to be careful washing the area. Use mild soap and either no deoderant or a mild one away from the scar. I did find my bra rubbed the area a bit, and felt more comfortable without it. The nurse gave me some gauze to tuck under the side of my bra but I never bothered with it. I have had a small fluid filled lump in the armpit, but this is apparently normal and not of any concern unless it gets infected - and you will know if it does. Hope this helps. xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Wendy, thank you for kind words, you're right big hugs are needed right now. Love Sue x
Hi Rattles, thanks so much for sharing your experience with me, I hope you resolved everything in the end. I am awaiting my op date, and have a sense of 'back to square one', as its taken such a long time to get to yesterday's op date anyway. I am beyond fed up, and as you said, I don't want to start a complaint procedure as this is the surgeon that is going to operate and care for me. I am yet to speak to my breast care nurse, but the poor woman is going to hear my wrath!!! Thanks for taking the time to share your story with me. Love Sue x

Hello Sue,

I am so sorry you have had a horrendous time. It is bad enough to be dealing with a breast cancer diagnosis, this layer of (preventable) stress is the last thing you need.
I think it would help to talk this through with the helpline. You are understandably very upset and you clearly have grounds for a complaint but it is not easy to complain about someone who you want to help you!! Without going into the details of a long story, I had some very poor care after bilateralmastecomies- from the nursing team, not the surgeon. In the end, I did not formally complain (but I did make my views known!). For me, it came down to trust. My trust was broken but I had to go back (in the end for two more ops). The way I dealt with it was to do alot of venting but then focus on what I wanted to happen and what needed to be in place for me to feel confident that I would get safe care.The surgeon was able to do this for me so I felt as confident as I could, but I had some hypnotherapy in the end to try and help me manage my fears.
Ask yourself if it is possible to identify what you want to happen next- if that is surgery before April, then say so. If it is to be transferred to a different surgeon. Ultimately, a complaint can take a formal or informal route and at the end of the day the most important thing is that you get the service and care you need. It is very upsetting and distressing Sue.
I hope this helps - a bit- Sue, Rattles

Hi Sue

It sounds as though you have had a tough time, whilst you await replies you are very welcome to call our helpline and talk through your concerns and feelings, it may help a little. Lines are open 9-5 in the week and 10-2 Saturdays

Take care

Lucy

Oh Sue that is awful. Hopefully they will sort you out shortly. Nothing mo I can say really but sending you hugs as I think maybe you will need them x x
Guest user
Not applicable

Huge cock-up yesterday in hospital...devastated!

Hi everyone. Well what a horrendous day yesterday, I was coming into hospital for a SLNB, MX and reconstruction to left side only, as you can imagine had geared myself up for it over a long long period of waiting, four horribly painful biopsies, and finally the date was here!! I had a strange sense if calm when I came in...you might say the calm before the storm!! The nurse and anethetist thought I was a day case, so we all started to get confused. Then my surgeon turned up and swore she said she wouldn't do all three procedures on the same day, I explained she said she would as I have DCIS, and she said the risk of anything being found in the lymph nodes was minimal, at that point the realisation hit her and she referred back to her notes and said this was indeed true. i was absolutely shattered, devastated and angry. She is trying to get another theatre list for next couple of weeks, otherwise she has no space until April, just can't believe it. She went ahead with the SLNB which so far seems to be not too painful, is that likely to change anyone? They did keep me in last night as was so late when every thing settled down. I just wanted to share this, has anyone else had similar experience? She did say I could complain, but that will compromise her as my surgeon, and I don't want that. Love Sue