1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge hard lump - been referred for tests

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Huge hard lump - been referred for tests

Hello Hun I'm so pleased for you I've got my appointment tomorrow and I'm so scared I have pain in the breast I found my lump in just hope this time tomorrow I will be happy too xx

Hi ladies,

So I woke at 4am to leave the house at 6am. i was so worried about oversleeping and missing the appt.  It was in Harley Street in London and I live 50 miles away !

Got there ten mins late as the traffic was so bad (took 2.5hrs to get there!).

I spoke with a lovely doctor who felt both breasts and told me I had a cyst in the left breast, which I had never felt before and was 35mm in length. The lump in my right breast which was the one i was worried about was smaller than the lump in my left, even though to feel them you would never guess. Its probably half the size but just because the right one is laying back more it feels completely different. Its more round and feels fuller. So bottom line is after a mammogram and ultrasound I have been told that they are 100% happy that it is two cysts. one in each breast. 

I am so relieved and happy and just hope that every other woman who has there tests today and soon get the same. Other women were coming out with the all clear and I was crying for them as I could understand the relief they felt.

Good luck everyone, sending you lots of love and hugs xxxxx

Hi Sweetpea.

Thanks so much - you're right it does help airing your worries on here.

Fingers crossed we will all turn out to be worrying unnecessarily x

Hi jt I am the same as you but been having breast pain and shoulder pain I'm also a nervous wreck but the lovely ladies on here are such a comfort at this difficult time I will be thinking of you xx

Hi Donna,

There's a whole bunch of us with appointments on Wednesday. So you are not alone - we'll be thinking of you.

Best wishes

Thank you jt for taking the time to reply. Yes I think keeping busy is the key. Just wish I could sleep until Wednesday morning. I'm terrible I never check my breasts and don't know what made me do it on Friday. Strange isn't it, how your week can just be turned upside down like that? Anyway love and hugs. Fingers crossed for a good week xxx

Hi Donna

Sorry to hear you've found a lump and are worried. It's a natural reaction to be scared particularly with a young family who depend on you. My children are a fantastic distraction, however at the same time most of the worrying I do revolves around how a cancer diagnosis would affect them rather than me and more often than not its that thought that brings on the tears.

There's nothing anyone can say that will stop you worrying, however to echo what virtually everyone has said to me you have to stop googling. I've spent hours looking up both cancer and non cancerous lumps / conditions and to be honest I can find symptons in virtually all of them that potentially match my lump so it gets you nowhere. I've also finding it quite draining emotionally as you go round and round in circles looking for an answer that simply isn't there.

You are lucky to have your mammogram appointment so quickly, so try to stay busy for the next few days and think positive. The one thing that this site has made me realise is that there are many more cancer survivors out there than I ever realised. The vast majority of stories I've read on here are from people who have come out the other side, so even if the worst were to happen (and statistically it probably won't) it's not the death sentence we tend to assume it is.

Thinking of you and here's hoping that we both get good news this week xx

Hi Donbags

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.  While you are waiting for replies from your fellow forum users you might find it helpful to give our helpline a ring, the staff are here to support you.  Calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi everyone, I've never posted in a board before. I came across this website today for the first time.
My name is Donna and I'm 46 years old. Im married and have four children, 15, 11, 9 and 8. I found a large hard immovable lump in my right breast on Friday. I'm the sort of person that absolutely freaks out about health scares but was very calm with this. I saw the doctor this morning who has referred me for a mammogram. I'm fortunate enough to have healthcare through work so they have got me an appointment for this Wednesday morning. I left the doctors still very calm (by my standards!). However since being home I've done the most stupid thing and have been looking things up in google. I do it all the time and my husband is always telling me off for it. Made it worse by looking up hard immovable lumps - all sites seem to pint towards cancer. Can't think of nothing else now and keep crying, which is. It good as I'm at home with the kids. I'm convinced now that the news on Wednesday will be bad and can't shake myself out of this downward spiral. Have got some comfort in reading your posts. I'm just not very good at keeping things real, I go from tests to having cancer confirmed to instant death! Sorry for sounding a bit like a mad woman but freaking out a little. Love to all xx

Hello again jt, thanks for your kind words and for asking how I am. I'm definitely over the worst, I only needed a lumpectomy, 15 sessions of radiotherapy and a hormone tablet for the next 5 years, I had my yearly mammogram and check up this Jan and am all clear. As Di says most lumps are not BC, but, and it's a big but, yours turns out to be BC please be reassured it's very treatable these days. It is often hard talking to husbands and other family members, they may be very supportive etc. but it takes someone who has been in your position to know exactly how you feel which is why some of us "old hands" stay on this forum to reassure and support the "newbies" as we were supported at first when we were terrified and also during our treatment. Hope all goes well for you, take care Pat x

Hi di and thanks for replying.

It's good to hear from someone in a similar position to me. I've stopped voicing my fears at home too much as I feel as though i'm dragging my husband down to my miserable level so it's good to be able to do it here.

Its hard to feel anything other than terrified isn't it? My two are 9 and 6 and sometimes they're a great distraction as they keep me busy, then other times I have to leave the room as watching them play makes me well up wondering how they would cope without me.

But you are of course right, the chances are that we will both be fine. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you on Wednesday (let me know how you get on), and likewise I'm here if you need to get any worries off your chest. 

Thanks again for replying (and so quickly!). It's actually really reassuring that if it all gets too much there is someone to talk to who doesn't think i'm mad to feel the way I do.

xx

Hi jt and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support here, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 so please feel free to call

Here's the link to the information and fact sheet kindly mentioned by Trisha :

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness/referral-breast-clinic

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Pat

This is the first time I've posted on a forum so didn't know what to expect.

When I read your repy it made me cry (not that unusual at the minute) however not because it made me sad, simply because I was overwhelmed that a complete stranger took the time out of their day to try and make me feel better.

I will download the factsheet, and hope that after 15 months you are now over the worst.

Thanks again x

Oh jt, i can't give much advice or reassurance as i'm in the same boat, hard lump that doesn't move much ... i've also got swelling in my lypmh nodes under my arm and to be honest i'm terrified and nothing anyone says does much to put my fears to rest. I had my breast clinic appointment on Monday and am now waiting on the results of the biopsies they took - i get my results on Wednesday.

Everyone i'm sure will tell you that most lumps & bumps are nothing to worry about, but if you're like me, that won't help much as your mind will carry on thinking the worst! But it is true, the chances are, you'll be fine!

But if you need a shoulder, a moan, a chat, whatever, i'm here ... i'm also 40 & have two little people at home (3.5yrs & 22mths) Chin up sweetie xxxx

Hello jt, first thing I'd like to say to you is PLEASE stay OFF Google! You will only imagine the worst and scare yourself witless, a lot of the information out there is out of date or just plain inaccurate. Please do not feel selfish about raising your concerns, we have all been there, no matter how old we are, I'm 63 by the way and was diagnosed 15 months ago. How you are feeling is entirely natural; you don't know what, if anything, you will have to deal with and it's the not knowing and the feeling of not being in control that causes the problems. Try and keep yourself as busy as possible to take your mind off things and have a look at BCCs booklet about Breast Clinic Appointments, you can download it off this site it's very informative. Please keep posting, ask any questions (none are silly), have a good rant, or if you just want a virtual shoulder to cry on (we're good at that here). Let us know how you get on, good luck with your appointment, sending you a big hug (()) take care Pat x

Huge hard lump - been referred for tests

Found a huge lump in my breast last week and visited the doctor immediately feeling fairly confident that she would tell me that it was nothing to worry about as I have always had lumpy breasts anyway. My confidence was shortlived though as after a long examination she told me that the lump was definitely not normal and she was 'quite concerned'.

Like many posters I've spent the last week pouring over every breast cancer website I can find but nothing puts my mind at rest, and to be honest as time goes on i'm becoming more and more paranoid and if im not on the web I'm feeling the lump trying to work out if its got bigger!

I have an appointment next week for tests, but wondered whether any other posters had experienced anything similar? My lump is rock hard and feels huge. It does move side to side, however I have large breasts and dont know whether the movement isn't really the lump moving, just my breast tissue moving and taking the lump with it if that makes sense! I keep hoping that it'll turn out to be a cyst, however its so hard I can't see how it can possibly be filled with fluid.

I know the sensible thing to do is not to worry until I have a diagnosis, and when I read some of the posts by people going through treatment part of me feels selfish to even voice my concerns. I'm 40 with two young children, and the thought of them seeing me ill or left without me is terrifying. My own mum died when I was young (not from breast cancer) and the thought of history repeating itself is eating me up.