Hyperplasia

I was diagnosed last June with Grade 2 IDC (though path report after lumpectomy said a mix of ductal and lobular) and had WLE, SNB and re-excision followed by radiotherapy and Tamoxifen (started in September.)

A few weeks ago I had a little unusual bleeding so GP made an urgent referral to gynaecology clinic and I had ultrasound, trans-vaginal ultrasound and hysteroscopy (very painful!) which found the womb lining to be thickened and also a polyp. The biopsy taken showed no sign of malignancy.

I got an oncolgy appointment the week after the hysteroscopy (mine had been cancelled in April) and the new oncologist I saw knew about the hysteroscopy and told me to come off Tamoxifen immediately and put me on anastrozole. I wasn’t sorry to stop the Tamoxifen as I had bad side effects. She liaised with the gynaecology department and now I have an appointment to see an oncological gynaecologist next week. I had a thickened womb lining last year and had a hysteroscopy under GA along with a D&C, polyp removal and removal of my mirena coil.

I read on RevCat’s thread about Tamoxifen-induced hyperplasia that the mirena coil is used as treatment for hyperplasia so I’m rather surprised that I got it when the mirena coil had been in situ for more than 3 years. I’m also surprised that my womb lining has thickened again so quickly.

Does anyone who’s had hyperplasia have any idea what the gynaecologist might suggest? I know that a total hysterectomy is quite major surgery but should I be asking about it in my case? (I also had an abnormal smear test a few years ago.) What other treatment has anyone had?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just wondering what to expect.

Hello Maggiemay22

Whilst waiting for replies to your post maybe you would like to give our free helpline a call where the staff can offer practical information as well as emotional support.  The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator