Hysteroscopy - local or general anaesthetic?

After being on Tamoxifen for 3 years I now discover, after a pelvic ultrasound, that I’ve got an endometrium thickness of 8mm. My Gynae has now recommended that I have a hysteroscopy.

Has anyone had this done with just local anaesthetic and if so what was it like?

I really don’t fancy yet another general but am really worried about the pain factor!!!

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Grace

Hi Grace

I had this done in February after I year arimidex and 6 months Tamoxifen . I was given a general at the Royal in Edinburgh. I was only out for about 10 mins and was back working after a couple of days. There was some discomfort but no pain. Strangelt the surgeon didnt even take a sample of the polup despite the scan showing thickening and my history.

Hope this helps
Louise

Hi Grace

I had a Hysteroscopy 3 years ago without any anaesthetic - nothing to do with the bc thing, was to do with dysfunctional bleeding. I didn’t find it painful, just a bit uncomfortable as the dr has to fill the uterus with saline to get a good look around all the crevices. I also had a biopsy of the endometrium at the same time which was totally painless. Watched it all on the TV screen!!

After the procedure, the nurses make sure you’re feeling OK (not faint) and give you a brew before letting you leave. I had a bit of period pain cramp afterwards but paracetamol sorted it out. Was back at work a couple of days later.

Following on from this, I had a mirena coil fitted. I was given a local anaesthetic into my cervix which stung a little bit but was OK.

Hope this helps!

Claire

Claire and Kouise thank you for this. I have decided to have it all done under a local! Will let you know how I get on.

Grace

No probs Grace. Hope all goes well for you.

Claire

I had one done last Wednesday, but I wasn’t give the choice of local or general. I had general and was fine, no problems at all.

Linda

I had 2 hysteroscopies last year because of thickening of womb lining. First one was without anaesthetic. Consultant found a polyp in womb lining but couldn’t remove it as he couldn’t get to it because of womb being tilted. I have to say it was a lot more than ‘uncomfortable’, and I felt quite nauseous and had bad cramps for over 24 hours, but that is possibly due to the womb position…I have heard of women who have just experienced discomfort. I had a general anaesthetic a few weeks later and the polyp was removed. It was benign. I felt absolutely fine afterwards, no pain, cramps or nausea.

I went for my hysteroscopy this morning. I was really anxious and really worried that it would be painful. In fact, the two nurses were great as was the Consultant. Apparently most people have it without anaesthetic but as I had already had a cone biopsy my cervix is very sensitive so he put in some local. That was the most painful bit and after that there was a few twinges but it was nowhere near as bad as I had feared.

Now it is a bit uncomfortable but I am taking painkillers. I would recommend anyone to go for the local anaethetic route.

All the best, Grace

Is it standard procedure whilst you are on Tamoxifen to have a hysteroscopy???
Or is it only if you are having problems??
Bobbie

Dear Bobbie

It’s only if you are having problems…mine was increased discharge (had discharge as soon as started Tamoxifen, but noticed got heavier around 2 1/2 yrs later) and spotting between periods. I told breast clinic dr, who referred me to gynaecologist. He found cervical polyp, then sent me for transvaginal scan, and I had hysteroscopy following result of this.

Dear time traveller … Many thanks for that I did have one a few years ago , no anaesthetic found the whole procedure quite unpleaseant. I had polyp removed as result of this , long before BC though.
Bobbie

i had one last year , with no anaesrhetic, a little uncomfortable but ok.

sharon