I am scared of DIEP surgery

I am normally quite brave but I am terrifed now. Not just of cancer way I am being treated at work with no pay getting into debtpractica things but also the previous lumpectomies I had didnt clear the margins. I need a mastectomy and it is the reconstruction tht is the most frightening.

I feal like the most stupid person. I should be more scared of the cancer but I am getting wound up about everything else.

I thought a inplant would be easier surgery but now terrifed of what I found out diep( recommended by surgeon to me) as best in my case involves. I have at times ridiculous high blood pressure. I dont want to scare off my partner who I dont live with even more need all the support I can get. Plus he has been surprisingly lovely so far amazed me actually.  I have pretended to be coping better than I am

Diep sound terrifying if you have high blood pressure am I normal to be so scared of stupid things and not so much the cancer? I am trying to be practical and say so many people have had this…

Hi Figaro7

It sounds like you’re having a really tough time at the moment, I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their experiences and support.  In the meantime you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the helpline.  Here you can share your fears and concerns with someone who will offer you emotional support as well as practical information.  Lines open again tomorrow and the number to call is 0808 800 6000.  Lines are usually available weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

have sent you my email address by pm so I can send you the blog I did when I had my DIEP surgery a year ago

Hi Figaro 7,

So sorry to hear you’re so upset and not being paid by work sounds like a nightmare. Can you claim sick pay from the state if not from your employer?

Re the diep reconstruction, I had delayed diep reconstruction three weeks ago, I don’t have high blood pressure so I don’t know what the extra complications that would mean, but have you discussed them with your surgeon? They should be able to go through it all with you. duffer the person who’s offering you her blog kindly sent it to me as well and it’s really good to read.

Re the diep, yes it’s a huge op and three weeks on I’m still not able to walk completely upright but I’m fine and so pleased that it’s been done, I’ve been waiting for almost three years. I had a mastectomy, then chemo then radiotherapy, then on various waiting lists until three weeks ago. If you are being offered reconstruction at the same time as your mastectomy that probably means you’re not having radiotherapy? You will need help after the reconstruction, you’re not able to lift anything for a few weeks, or get around to do anything. So if you have friends or family who can help then I’d take it!

Please feel free to PM me if you’d like to know more detail about the diep or anything else

Take care, alison

I had a LD back flap mastectomy and reconstruction, two weeks ago. I was worried because I have previously had a stroke so am on medication for blood pressure. But all went fine and I couldn’t be happier. Still a bit sore and swollen, can not do much but feeling fine in myself. All the best to you, hope this helps a little even though the op is different

Hi Figaro

I agree a diep is scary I felt like that before mine was having ridiculous nightmares beforehand, it probably didnt help that I saw the op on tv 3 weeks before I went in and it turned out the hospital and team were the same I was going to. But my surgeon was great and all the staff at the hospital helped so much and two years on am really glad I did it andtti was never as bad as I imagined. It takes a lot out of you as is a big surgery but way I got my head round it in end is that its a complex and long surgery but not as bad as my aunties heart surgery who was about same time and we both got results needed. Your surgeon will be able to tell you about how they plan to control your blood presuure during it so make sure you ask lots of questions.

All the best x

Hi, I agree with alexc23, it is no walk in the park but it is do-able. If you take it steady and get yourself as ready for it as you can and take it step by step then you’ll get through it.
Use all the support services available and lean on whoever you need to to help you through.

Hi Sharon, I also had horrible employers when I got my diagnosis. Not once did they ask if there was anything they could do to help. They even refused to allow me to make up time for my appointments - preferring to dock my money instead!
As I wasn’t getting paid for being of sick I almost let it influence my decision on which reconstruction to have as I didn’t want to get into financial difficulty by having a longer recovery period. I had to stop and think about my long term future rather than make a decision based on the situation I was in at that moment. I knew I would look for another job and I didn’t want to make a decision because I felt I was being bullied into it my employers that I wouldn’t be working for afterwards.
You are the only important thing and you need to make the best decision for you.
X

For anyone who is worried about an operation because of high blood pressure etc- surgeons and anaesthetists review each case very carefully and tend to be pretty conservative when it comes to elective operations. They will run through any risks or concerns with you. In my case, I was hoping to have the DIEP done a year ago but the team did not feel I was yet fit enough for surgery so am still waiting. Whist it is frustrating and I would like to think about going back to a more normal sort of life, , it is reassuring to know that an operation won’t go ahead until it is safe from both the anaesthetic and surgical perspective.