I can drink Wine!!!!!

Although since having surgery I have not drank a drop for fear of what it may do to my (I don’t drink much anyway - but have really wanted to to help relax)… my doctor said (because I asked if I could drink)- as long as I don’t bringe drink and I do it in moderation thats fine - AND to top it off apparently in between sessions it can prevents the feeling of sickness… they don’t mention that in any literature do they!!! Now were is that cork screw!!!

Cheers!!!
Just off to put chardonnay in fridge for tonight.

Valentine

Oh you lucky thing,

Problem with me on chemo last time was I couldn’t drink coz it tastes hateful! Chocolate too, I reckon someone has something against me to take away these comfort things just when I need em! Although on different drug this time, so maybe things will be different, one can live in hope. I find it particuarly unfair that chemo gives me all the symptoms of a bad hangover without having had the pleasure of the booze the night before lol

Cheers!
Nikki

Haha Mandy your post did make me laugh.
Last year when first diagnosed I was told by the doctors here (Turkey) that I wasn,t to drink. I did EVERYTHING by the book and not once did my bloods come up to scratch. I also felt wretched most of the time.

This year when re diagnosed, I decided that what the hell - I,m not going to put my life on hold. I have done pretty much anything I want to, including a few glasses of wine, when I,ve felt like it - and you know what?? My bloods are spot on every time :slight_smile: and although I do get tired, I am not the nervous, depressed wreck I was last year.

So enjoy your drink and as we say here in Turkey - Serefe (cheers)!!

Merhaba AslansMum,
Where about in Turkey are you?
Alli.

Hi Ladies…just one downer! I love my wine too…by the bottle! I have also been drinking whilst on chemo but on my first FEC I stopped the alcohol 3 days prior and filled up on water…same regime after injection too.

This time round I only stopped the wine for one night before chemo day…and I was so dehydrated when I got to chemo…well, I don’t have to tell you - cannula nightmare.

So please enjoy your drinking but do stop 3/4 days prior to your injections and drink as much water as you can, cos it will help you.

Sermon over…Bottoms Up!!!

Hi , I drink only a glass of red wine with my dinner usually since I am on chemotherapy I can not stand coffee or wine for the first week and following two weeks I am ok to drink but only a glass a day and only one cup of coffee a day. It feels like I am pregnant again, hate some food and crave icecream often :slight_smile: Half hour ago asked my Oh to run quickly get some icecream from the local market asap, very nice of him he did and now I regret I ate too much and extra pounds I am putting on.

Aslansmum , serefe , afiyet olsun, just had a glasss of red wine and really enjoyed it have another week to enjoy before my 4th FEC. I am Turkish and live in wimbledon , it would be nice if we could exchange e mails , if you would like please e mail me on <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%67%74%61%72%69%73%40%6d%73%6e%2e%63%6f%6d%22%3e%67%74%61%72%69%73%40%6d%73%6e%2e%63%6f%6d%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>

Hope you all ladies having a nice relaxing evening and coping well with all the side effects of chemo.

xxx

Gul

I also don’t like coffee or wine in the first week.

This time round perfume is repulsive to me. Actually makes me feel sick, so am just splashing on some very light cologne.

Hi Allicat
I live in a small resort called Kas which is near Antalya. Well if you call a 3.5 hour drive away “near” LOL, but I guess its all relative to the size of the country!

Hi Love2bead
How funny, I too crave ice cream after chemo. I don,t normally fancy a drink until about a week after chemo as before then I seem to have a metallic taste in my mouth.
I,ll send you an e.mail in the next couple of days :slight_smile:

One lady said plan nice things for your good days - so I will save the wine for those days LOL… So on that note Cheers to you all and I will have a drink to us all having good health!!!

My chemo nurse recommended a glass of wine! But I can’t stomach it for the first 10 days or so. I also crave icecream!

Maggie x.

Hi Ladies

It is over a year since my 6 x FEC, and usually I enjoy wine, but what I found really helped was brandy and ginger ale - not only did it soothe the stomach, but it acted a bit like sherry in that it stimulated my appetite when I had none because I was feeling so sh*&%y. And you don’t have to buy expense Cognac - regular “brandy” will do (the sort of stuff you buy to use in trifles etc) because the ginger ale (in particular Tesco low cal) takes away any harsh edge.

Hope this helps!

Bubs X

Merhaba AslansMum,
I’ve been to Kas.Started a gulet holiday from there once.I have friends with places in Alanya and Gocek.I love Turkey and have been there many times.I was on holiday in Gocek in September.
Are you Turkish or English?
I’m on my second lot of chemo at the moment(Xeloda).Already had Taxotere.My taste buds went with that so didn’t enjoy drinking but now I’m on the Xeloda I can taste everything so I’m back to drinking the odd glass of red wine in moderation.
Alli x

Tekra Mehaba Alli (Hi again Alli)
How funny that you started a gulet holiday from Kas, I finished one here back in the mid 90’s and thats when I fell in love with the place!! The rest is history as they say LOL.
Gocek is also lovely. Popped in there a couple of months ago when I was on the way to Dalaman to collect my Mum.
I,m English by the way. I,m too on my second round of chemo. Can,t remember the first round name, but on Taxo this time plus Herceptin.

Did you enjoy Kas? I,m so protective of the place LOL. I really want everyone to enjoy their time here…

Having a VaT tonight :slight_smile:

Just got my old holiday photos out from my first trip to Turkey back in 1995 and it was actually Kalkan we started from.I was getting mixed up(chemo brain).We went to Kas for the day because the crew were from there.I did love it though!
What’s the treatment/care like over there for cancer patients?
Alli x

The treatment itself here is brilliant but there is no back up. You,re pretty much on your own. There are no support groups that I am aware of.
Most of the information I have gleaned from the internet. Basically I go and see the onc, get my prescription, take it to the pharmacy then back to the hospital for the chemo, then back home. However, if I,m concerned about anything my onc deals with it the same day i.e. if I need to see someone else e.g. a dermatologist, then I see them within the hour.

I wonder if I would know the crew from your gulet?? I spent a couple of years working on the gulets as a galley slave!

Hi Aslans mum, I had a holiday in Kas in 1996 with my husband , we met a lovely couple who had a coffee shop or it was a bar in Kas , she was English and he was Turkish. I remember this lady pregnant and I thought how lucky they were,(might be you?) I wanted to move to Kas and live there. But 2001 we moved to Antalya and stayed 2.5 years but with children did not work out for us as my husband is from Italy it wasn’t easy so we are back to London 2003. I am hoping to move back to Turkey ( in 5 years time, waiting kids to leave home) but this time to near Bodrum Gumusluk, Yalikavak I fell in love with last summer holiday :)How lucky you are , Kas is so beautiful , I was in Cirali 2007 enjoyed so much.

gul

Hi Gül
I,ve sent you an e.mail.
No it wasn,t me that you met! I don,t have any children.
Yes Ciralı is indeed a lovely place - so peaceful.
I visited Gümüşluk many years ago, so I expect its changed a lot.

Mandy - sorry, I,ve hijacked your thread. Apologies.

I think the crews names were Yanke and Sarde(not sure of spelling).The gulet was called the ‘Island Dancer’ run by Savile holidays.
Alli.