cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘I can’t be the only one’: An analysis of men’s experience of breast cancer

‘I can’t be the only one’: An analysis of men’s experience of breast cancer

From Matthew Hall

Research Ethics: Information sheet                                    

‘I can’t be the only one’: A discursive analysis of men’s experience of breast cancer.

Dr Matthew Hall                                                                     

Post-Doctoral Research Assistant                                                     

Division of Psychology                                                          

Nottingham Trent University                                      

Burton St, Nottingham NG1 4BU                              

Tel: 0115 941 8418                            

Email: matthew.hall@ntu.ac.uk         

Since male breast cancer is still relatively rare in men (1:1000) it is predominantly perceived as a ‘women only’ illness and so less understood in many contexts. Therefore, Prof. Brendan Gough, Leeds Metropolitan University, Prof. Kate Hunt, Glasgow University, Dr. Sarah Seymour-Smith and Dr. Matthew Hall, Nottingham want to examine Breast Cancer Care accounts as male breast cancer sufferers’ in the Breast Cancer Care Forum/Talk To People Like Me/Men/I can’t be the only one?

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/men-diagnosed-breast-cancer/i-cant-be-only-one.

They will examine the electronic posts to see how men discuss their current, or previous illness, in relation to other posters, focusing in particular on how users make/made sense of their illness.   Such findings could usefully be deployed to enhance other sufferers’ experiences in a variety of settings such as patient/health professional interactions.

Any information provided on the Cancer Care Forum that we use in publishing our findings will be anonymised. We will also provide a shortened version of any publication for your information.

Please contact the principle researcher Dr. Matthew Hall with any further enquiries.