I find this forum divided too much

I have used this forum for a few weeks now, so i am reasonably familiar with it. I have been using the CarersUK forum for some years, so I have something to compare this with, also in an area where sensitive information is discussed.

Can we have a link that those of us set up to Auto-login just have to click once? I am having to click to get the drop-down, click Login, click Sign in - have I set up my Preferences incorrectly, or is that it?

There are too many layers - it is taking 3/4 clicks, simply to find out if anyone has posted in an area of interest. I can understand that BCC don’t want to face someone looking for e.g. answers of the ‘is my breast normal?’ with nitty-gritty stuff on e.g. chemotherapy side-effects, as an ‘unread posts’ list might do, but something needs to change so we can find our way around more easily.

The lists of the 5 most recent posts are of limited value, as they tend to be 2 or 3 from a single active thread, narrowing the range of subjects covered. In addition, while knowing about new threads is good, there are some very useful longer-running threads. It would help if the ‘Boards’ had an indication of any new posts since last visit - you have to click each one to find out. I don’t want to fill up my Inbox by subscribing - and the emails often come through after I have already read the post, anyway.

The selection of Category and Board titles is not working well for me, and others seem to get ‘stuck’ e.g. in the ‘Recently diagnosed’ area, while undergoing treatment - understandable that they wish to stay with a group of people who are becoming familiar, rather than starting again in a new Category. I have been diagnosed, had surgery and am waiting to see the oncologist, so most of what interests me is in the ‘Going through Treatment’ section, but because I am naturally curious and also want to be prepared for the next stage, I am also investigating other areas, but don’t want to get into stuff that may or may not be relevant. The large number of subdivisions means that fewer forum users get to each one, even though they might be of interest and more users would give more input. It is particularly noticeable that few discover the section based on location.

I realise the subject headings must have been arrived at after considerable discussion and experience of how the forum was being used, so there will be good reasons for it having the structure it does. It is a valuable part of the website, but I do think it could be made more user-friendly.

Hello Luckylass

Thank you for your post.  I will pass this onto the appropriate team for them to have a look at.

Best wishes

June, moderator

I belong to another medical forum,not breast cancer related.this one had lots of spam,and too few headings!Difficult to please everyone I suppose.But,do see where you are coming from

Hi all,

Trying to find the most appropriate place for this, and here seems best.

Within the threads i can only assume the BCC items re elections, / forums revamped / moving forwards courses / models are all pinned to load first… sometimes there are many such items with maybe only one still being current. Could some housekeeping be applied to unpin these items ?

I also find the forum an unwieldly beast, usually trying key words in the search field on the main page, such as occ health review. But is hit and miss within the work/finance thread as unless specifically listed there, the search will not reveal the query.

I do value the info here both from the dedicated teams, and all those who post.

Sincere thanks,

LL xx

Hi again,

Having just visited the research opportunities thread i believe it would be useful to have some kind of status to know how these were progressing NEW / ONGOING / COMPLETED. Preferably with this tag at the start of the description of that research, then maybe an indication somewhere for the anticipated completion date.

As yet i have not participated in any of these as the appropriate ones to.me are older and possibly completed ???

LL xx

Hi lexilou

Thank you for your feedback it is all very helpful.  I will be working with the research team to look at how we can ‘flag’ the research requests so that anyone interested can be aware if they are ongoing or in fact closed.  We always look to provide feedback at the conclusion of research but that is invariably a long way in the future and we are not always sure of a publish date.

The latest posts is currently being designed and we hope to implement that very soon, watch this space for announcements when we have a confirmed date.

The ongoing housekeeping is something which has lapsed recently due to staff shortages, but I will move this task up the priority list.

We always appreciate any time that is taken to provide feedback, thank you.

Best wishes

Anna

Forum Coordinator

I don’t know if this helps anybody, but a while back I discovered this “latest discussions” search - not sure how I came across it now but I much prefer looking at threads this way.  Cut and paste it into the address bar

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/page/1

Ruby