cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate Taxotere!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
horace

Re: I hate Taxotere!!!!

I hated tax too!I found very cold sparkling water with either lemon or Roses lime juice helped a lot.I also sucked ice lollies[lemon] and drank iced water throughout treatment[used wide neck thermos]and didnt have mouth probs.for pain I needed to take diclofenac and cocodamol together[GP recommended].The weakness and breathlessness just kept me 'welded to the bed' for several days each cycle.The diarrhoea made my bum so sore-it was dreadful.Loperamide did help but it can dehydrate you too.I had 4 treatments at the beginning of 2007 following 4xFEC.I have some permanent side effecs[pn and no eyebrows] but no regrets.
Love Vxx

xxchrisx

thanx tina
I will ask when I next go see oncologist xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Chris, maybe you can ask your chemo team for emend for your next cycle, my chemo nurse said it's the most effective anti sickness treatment around. Tinaxx

xxchrisx

Hi
I started fec on thurs and thought that was awful.... I started being sick at 5ish on thurs and didn't stop till 2ish sat afternoon. Had doctor out twice to give anti-sickness injections which just didn't work.
I found that ginger ale is only drink that I can tolerate at the moment...fingers crossed things will get easier.
Hope things get easier for everyone else to
chris xx

Guest user
Not applicable

My first tax due on thursday, start dex on Wednesday and quite frightened of se's, sort of came through the fec but dread the tax!

vivrog

Hi emmbee

Thanks for the advice. I was warned about the se and I took co-codamol for the pain, used corsodyl for the mouth etc but the thrush had got so bad I just couldn't tolerate anything, hence the dehydration. I guess I was so poorly I didn't realise just how poorly I was ( my husband works away all week so I was on my own).

What I was trying to say was that I am not the type of person to be ringing the hospital every five minutes but was really glad that I did because they were able to make me feel better so quickly. Incidently my onc, when he saw me in at the hospital said he would reduce my dosage next time as it was obviously too harsh for me.

Viv x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Vivrog,

The moral of the story is actually trying to avoid going into hospital. Did no one tell you to drink as much as you can to avoid dehydration or give you advice about how to deal with all the side effects?

Tax is awful, no one will tell you any different but it is killing off the nasty cells and consequently will cause problems.

Here is how I dealt with the side effects which started with me 2 days after the Tax.

Joint pain: Anti inflammatories and Paracetamol.

Diarrhoea: Loperamide.

Headache: Might be being caused by lack of fluid so try to drink at least 2 glasses of water. If you are having problems finding something to drink which does not taste like pooh try, dry ginger, horlicks, drinking chocolate or make a drink with a stock cube. It's amazing what works.

Sore mouth: Get some pure pinapple juice. Rinse and gargle with it 4 times a day. You can drink it as well. This is brilliant for preventing or curing ulcers. If you get thrush, mouth goes white and nasty, you will need medication from the doctor.

Moisturise your skin twice a day, keep your nails short and well oiled and pamper yourself as much as possible.

Ask on here if you need help.

Hope the next dose is not as bad.

E

vivrog

I hate Taxotere!!!!

Had first Tax last Friday (14th). Saturday and Sunday felt fine.....great I thought this is much better than the EC! Monday started to ache, Tuesday very achey, stomach cramps and diarrhea. Wednesday very very achey, sore mouth and throat,severe headache and couldn't get out of bed. Thursday the same so I phoned the hospital who asked me to come in. As soon as they saw me they admitted me and I got home yesterday afternoon. I'm so glad I phoned the hospital because within a couple of hours of them putting me on a drip (just fluids) I felt so much better!!! I was apparently very dehydrated.
I don't want to frighten anyone but I suppose the moral of the story is I won't hesitate to phone the hospital if there is a next time because they really can help.

Viv x