68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have dates for planning and starting treatment!

23 REPLIES 23
ladybowler
Community Champion

Re: I have dates for planning and starting treatment!

meash67mosh

I know my rads team strongly recommended E45.  There is something called R1 R2, which can be prescribed by your GP which you need to use from the very beginning I seemed to recall ladies on here getting it, it consists of 2 creams, I think R1 is the cooling gel/cream and R2 is the moisturiser.   Your planning team will advise you accordingly. 

I was using E45 and Aloe Vera gel but they asked me to stop the Aloe Vera and just keep my E45 in the fridge so that it was cool when I applied it.  I think the both were too much for my breast.

Helena xxx

meash67mosh

Hi Ladybowler

Thank you for sharing that with me.

My next chemo will be my last thank god!! My oncologist is a lovely man and seems to be very organised, he has already gone through the forms for radiotherapy with me so I thought there might be a process of time scale from one to another.

would you recommend E45 being the best cream to use for rads to? Thank you xx

KarenMc20

Well, I'm due to finish my rads the day before my birthday, so my birthday will be a double celebration 😀
SandraSussex

Charys

i am now looking at starting on my birthday as some sort of re - birth! 😇 At least that will keep me positive!
Actually radiotherapy does not worry me too much .....it's not being able to get there and having to use hospital transport! My daughter is due to have my 2nd grandchild on the 22nd July....hoping she is a couple of weeks early!

Sandra xx
LinRowan

Had my 'zero session' today - it took a lot longer than expected, because the machine was broken and the techs were in fixing it. They originally asked me to go home and come back tomorrow, but I  said I'd rather wait till it was fixed because it takes over an hour each way to the hospital and driving hurts! So we sorted things out, I wandered off for a slow cup of tea and went back an hour later. There was a certain amount of tweaking and shoogling to get me in exactly the right place, then the team went out, a machine went 'beep' and they came back and said OK you're done!

So we start for real on Monday.

I'm glad to have found this site, because the advice from the hospital on self care - moisturising and hydrating and such - was a bit wishy-washy and vague, but they are a helpful and cheery bunch and that goes a long way towards making me feel stronger.

Cheers

Lin

Charys
Community Champion

Whata a 'lovely' NHS Birthday treat for you Sandra Smiley Wink Well, humour aside, it kind of is isn't it.....as it will blast any possible stray cells to kingdom come and continue your treatment and recovery. I have to say I found the planning experience and the whole rt experience very interesting actually, I drove them mad by asking loads of questions...I don't think they wanted to waste time explaining cost of machines and how they worked. lol

SandraSussex

Hi!
I decided against chemo as I didn't think the percentage was worth the side effects.So saying hello on the radiotherapy forum.

I have planning on Tuesday 26 th and start radiotherapy on my birthday 18th July!
Hope it's a good omen!

Sandra x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Karen

The other way to look at it is you now know what is going to happen and when you have your planning apt you will be given your dates for rads, it is always the unknown that we fear, once you have the first one under your belt it will go very quickly.

You just have as many ice creams when you are on holiday as you want because you deserve it mate it wont make that much difference

xxxx

KarenMc20

Hi all. I have my planning meeting on Tuesday 27th - the sleepness nights have started up again as it approaches! I go on holiday between my planning meeting and starting rads, so will need to be careful not to calm myself too much with ice cream 😂
ladybowler
Community Champion

measg67mosh

I didnt have chemo so not sure how soon after it you will start rads. 

It is recommended that you moisturise 2/3 times a day and no less than 2 hours before a rads session.  I used to take my bottle of E45 with me and then when i was getting dressed after the session I would apply a layer before putting my bra back on.  You need to make sure that you drink plenty of fluids as radiotherapy can cause dehydration and potentially fatigue.   I actually started my tamoxifen about 3 weeks before I started rads, my oncologist said I could leave it until after but well I had to take it so I just started then.

Dont apologise for asking questions you go ahead and if we cant help you the wonderful nurses will be able to xx

Tigony

Thank you so much. I am starting some counselling at a Maggie centre today, as it is conveniently close to the radiotherapy place. I do have a reasonable lawyer, but am also being advised by a lawyer friend, who described the other side's proposal as 'disgusting'. I do plunge sometimes, but then I float again, knowing that I have done nothing wrong and brought up my lovely kids in spite of him. So on we go, mostly I feel pretty lucky really.

meash67mosh

Hi all

Just thought I would ask you lovely experienced ladies some questions please.  I have just had round 5 of chemo so will be finishing soon, my oncologist discussed 4 weeks of radiotherapy for me and got me to sign concent forms. Please could you tell me how soon will I be starting my radiotherapy after chemo?  Also how often do you put your cream on during a day, also how close to appointment can't you put cream on?  Sorry about the questions ladies.  Do you also no how soon you start tamoxifen after radiotherapy.  Has your hair started to grow 

i am sorry that I am asking so many questions.

Many thanks xx

Gran60

Tamoxafin doesn't always have side effects.I've been on it since April after op. I had a bit of emotional period at the start but this was probably just everything coming to a head. I did also have couple days nausea I'd started taking in morning after this decided to change and take at night worked for me. Haven't noticed any change in weight that some report thank goodness as I don't need to put any on.
My tattoos are red not blue feeling a bit left out of blue gang but they are so small there almost invisible
I finished my rads last week moisturiser and drinking lots of water. Boob is bit hot and nipple is really dark compared to other one just hope it changes back.
Ms Merton

Don't "dread" the tamoxifen - it makes SOME people emotional but we don't all react the same way. It hasn't adversely affected my mood (unlike chemo) so you may well have no problems.  Many people have no side effects at all.  If you do, your doctor can prescribe medication to deal with the side effects, including depression or anxiety if you do get these. I understand that research shows people often go through a period of feeling low at the end of active treatment whether or not they are taking tamoxifen - but it's temporary. I am so sorry you are trying to cope with the cancer and an abusive ex at the same time. That is unbelievably hard.  You are a strong person with extraordinary resilience.  I hope you are getting some good legal advice and keeping safe.  Are you getting some counselling too?  Wishing you joy, tranquility and freedom.  Xx

Tigony

My tattoo is in my cleavage and like a tiny biro mark, hardly visible. It is odd what makes us react. I had a few bad days last week, but once the radio started I felt I was in a routine and started to get used to it all again. I am dreading going on the tamoxifen afterwards though, as apparently it makes you emotional and I am battling an abusive ex in divorce. Keeping strong is such an effort!

welshlady66

Been on the simulator everything ok start rads on tuesday at 9.45 

welshlady66

I have my second planning appointment tomorrow going on the simulator and then having my tattoos,not looking forward to it as just been diagnosed with a large gallstone in the gallbladder been in hospital over the weekend trying to get the pain under control not only that my abdomen is swollen and sore waiting on a MRI but surgeon is sure its another hernia I have lost 5lb since Saturday so not sure if that will make a difference to the fitting of my breast shell, its going to be really uncomfortable for me to lay down for any length of time, Had a letter confirming my radiation will start on tuesday 20th June, not having much luck lately hope everyone else is having a better time                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Linda

Lizzie

I don't have a date for my radiotherapy yet - still waiting for my first oncology appointment but you've really touched a nerve about the tattoo.  It's permanent and not through choice.  I'm hoping to wear mine like a badge of honour.  Take care xo

Ms Merton

Judging by the traffic on this website, navy blue freckles are all the rage this year Lin! I'm hoping mine will fade a bit over time.  Either that or I get a bikini to match.  I asked whether I could get the dots lasered off but the radiographer said not to just in case they ever need to see where I was treated in future.  Maybe experiment with a dab of concealer? I think there is something de-humanising about being marked up in this way - you can feel a bit like a slab of meat during the radiotherapy process generally - and this is why it is more upsetting than you would logically expect.  Take care. Xx

LinRowan

Well, now I have tattoos - and a strange emotional reaction reaction to one of them.... I was cool with having scars - they are neat and will fade over time. I was OK with having tattoos, or so i thought, and joked about having my son-in-law, who is a very artistic tattooist, turn one of them into something more decorative than a dot when all this is over. but i had not reckoned on how I'd feel about the very visible dot at the base of my throat. I feel really sad about it. I feel 'spoilt' in a way that nothing else has spoiled me. It's very odd.

I suppose over time I'll get used to it.

I'll tell you one thing... it does not look 'just like a tiny freckle' as the oncologist said. For a start, have you ever seen anyone with navy-blue freckles?

I'm puzzled about why after all the other stuff such a small thing could be upsetting....

Lin

ladybowler
Community Champion

LinRowan

I had 15 and 5 boosters.

Helena

LinRowan

The plan at the moment is for 15 regular sessions and then a week of booster treatments. Though I caught a hint of doubt about the boosters when I saw the oncologist in charge of radiotherapy. I will get confirmation of the number of treatments when the letter arrives, but since I called the breast-clinic yesterday and worried at them about not hearing from anyone, the planning lady phoned me today to let me know the official letter is on its way.

My stress levels are significantly reduced 🙂

Lin

ladybowler
Community Champion

LinRowan

Yay, thats fab news.  Is it 15 you are having?

Helena xxx

LinRowan

I have dates for planning and starting treatment!

Never thought I'd be so happy to get an appointment! Ist planning session is next tuesday, and treatment proper starts on June 26th. Phew...

Lin