I have just found a small pea sized lump just below my nipple

What a day… I had taken my husband for a chest xray yesterday as he has had a persistent cough for over 5 weeks and I am quite worried that there maybe some underlying problem…got back and resigned myself that if there is anything wrong we will hear in the next couple of days… I though a nice long soak in the bath would help… after enjoying the relaxing bath I was drying myself and noticed a pea sized lump under my nipple on my left breast… I waited until I got back to bed and checked again… I have been periodically checking this throughout the night so consequently no sleep… I thought I would come onto this website to see if anyone else had found one of these and what it turned out to be… I don’t want to be deemed as mellow dramatic.

Hi brainyblonde

You may find our leaflet ‘Breast Awareness’ helpful to read, you can read it via the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/breast_awareness_07_0.pdf

It contains information about what to look out for and what to do if you find a breast change.

Best wishes

Louise
Breast Cancer Care

Hi brainyblonde,

9 out of 10 lumps turn out to be nothing to worry about - such as a cyst. So it’s more than likely that you are OK. BUT if you are unlucky enough to be that 1 out of 10, you need to get treatment. There is no way that you will be able to tell for yourself. Please go and see yor GP who can arrange for you to be checked out, you will only worry about it otherwise.

Fingers crossed that you are OK, but you will find lots of support here if not

Best wishes
xx

Just want to second that - you need to get it checked out, every lump should be.

Hi brainyblonde

I have to agree with the others. You need to get it checked to be on the safe side but try not to worry too much in the meantime - not easy, I know, but as RoadRunner said, most lumps are innocent. Whatever the outcome, it’s better to know for sure.

God bless.

Christay

brainyblonde,

like all the others have said… go get it checked out. It is probably nothing serious but the only way to know for sure is having the necessary tests/doctors visits. I recently had a lump checked out and it was non-cancerous… I have had many over the years but always get any new one checked out.

Hope your hubby’s x-ray results come back ok and that you can both put these worrying times behind you. Let us know how you get on.

Nanny

Hi Brainyblonde,

I agree with the other ladies get it checked out. The process should be fairly quick.
When I have been in clinics there are more ladies coming out of the consultants rooms with smiles on their faces with a sense of relief than those who are moved to talk to the Breast care nurse.

You do not say how old you are, if you are young you may be told its not something to worry about and come back later (See the comments being made yesterday on the younger women section) Don’t be put off insist on getting it checked because even a cyst needs treatment.

I am sure everything will be alright for you.

Take care

Hi Brainyblonde

About a month ago I was where you are. Half hoping that you imagined it, too scared to tell anyone. Anyway, it is probably nothing, but you must get it checked. Your GP should refer you to a breast clinic where you will have mammograms, ultrasound etc. to thoroughly check it out. If your GP thinks it necessary, you will be seen within 2 weeks, I was seen in 8 days. Longest 8 days of my life! Anyway mine was only a cyst, but it still had to be drawn out using a fine needle (almost painless). Please get yourself checked and let us all know how you are. You cannot change anything by worrying, but it will not go away on its own if its something nasty.

Hope your husband is OK too!
Sue.

Hi,

The others are right.
Do go and get the GP to have a look at it.
They will most likely to refer you to a breast clinic and should do an ultrasound if you are under 35 and mammo if you are over 35, and possibly also fine needle aspiration, where they draw out the contents of the cyst then send them to a lab to see what type of cells are in it.
If you find the breast becoming red or hot and swollen, and you also develop a fever, you should seek medical attention immediately, as you may have an infection (breast abscess). This can be treated with antibiotics.

Alll the best.

I would definitely advise you to get it checked out, 22 years ago I described my lump exactly the way you have described yours. Mine turned out to be bc but with a lumpectomy and radiotherapy it was soon sorted. I had a recurrence 18 months ago but feel it was unrelated. From what I understand most lumps are NOT cancer but if yours is the sooner its diagnosed the easier it will be to treat.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best

Jan

Thank you everyone.

I went to the GP on Friday and he has asked for a fast track appointment to the breast clinic.

I am 47 years old and not yet menopausal but very worried. I hope my appointment comes through quickly as the waiting is the worse part.

Thank you all for your advice and I will keep you up to date on what happens at the clinic.

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I am glad your GP is referring you. Appointments in my experience come through within two weeks (Allow time for delays in the mail because of the strikes) perhaps your doctor could call the clinic if you are worried about any delays.

Good luck, keep positive thoughts in the forefront of your mind, visualise a black bin liner and dump the negative thoughts in that!

Take care
Carol

Hi everyone

received a call yesterday from the breast clinic they have given me the first available appointment which is… Monday 15 October @ 09.15 so 6 more days to wait!!!. I am trying my best to keep positive… my daughter is expecting her first baby after trying to conceive for 5 years!!! she is 4 months pregnant and I keep worrying that I may not be around to see the baby grow up… is this normal or do I need a keep up the butt to snap me out of it?

Lynne

Hi Brainyblone

Good luck with your appointment on 15, and heres hoping everything OK. Your feelings are very normal, it is a rollercoaster of emotions, especially when waiting to find out everything. You will be here to see your Grandchild, I am sure. I had those thoughts when given my dx in July, as have a 3yr old daughter and 10 month old son, and was thinking I wouldn’t see their birthdays in November and December, but am fighting back with everything. Halfway through chemo now, 4th one tomorrow - which I am dreading.

Anyway take care and do let us know how you get on.

Love
Dawn
x

Thanks Dawn

I hope the chemo goes really well and that you enjoy yur childrens birthdays. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

I will keep everyone infomed of my results on Monday

Love Lynne x

Hi Lynne

Great news for the date, I hope everything goes well and the you have a sense of being in the best hands.

I am sure you will be around not just for your new grandchild’s birth but for their first days at school and results of GCSE etc!

We are all hoping that you do not have to use this site too much after the 15th, just enough to say everything is fine then again in 5 months time to let us if the baby was a girl or a boy!

Positive thoughts heading your way!

Carol

Your welcome Lynne,

Have a good weekend too and Hey your just three morning wake ups before your long awaited appointment.

Take care
Carol

hi brainyblonde,
just wanted to wish you good luck for your appt, i hope it all goes well and you get the all clear.

if not you are amongst people who know there stuff and give great advice. I am waiting for my
appt to come through from the clinic as we speak. so i know the waitnig is agony! let me know how
you get on.

take care. thinking of you.
kelly x

Hi everyone

Well GOOD NEWS!!! had Mammogram & then was told I needed an Ultrasound so started to get a bit worried… I had multiple cysts in both breast the lump I found was over 1.5 inches and a fine needle was inserted to drain the cyst from my left breast and then whilst the ultrasound was in situ they drained a deep seated cyst from the right breast too… I have been told that I have several small cysts in each breast but I must not assume that when/if I find a lump that it is a cyst but to sek medical help straight away.

has anyone else that this problem… The consultant said he had never seen so many cysts!!!

Lynne

Lynne

I am very pleased for you. You must celebrate now. It’s been a stressful time for you.

Christiane x