I have the braca 2 gene

hi lovely ladies,

I have just been informed that I have the Braca 2 gene. 

Been advised that I have a 80% chance of my breast cancer reoccurring but if I have a double mastectomy and reconstruction done my risk was be reduced to just 10%.

I have to have some genetic counselling but I have already made up my mind to go ahead with the surgery.

Has anyone on here had this surgery and if so how are you feeling after the surgery and what type of implants did uou have?

Im sure when I see my surgeon he will go through all these questions but its always good to hear from ladies who have had this surgery first hand.

Thanking you in anticipation of your replies,

Love and best wishes to you all,

Lynne xxxxxx 

Hi Loobyloo111 - Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I am replying to you to keep your thread bumped up  on the forum. I haven’t the gene myself but I was in hospital having my MX with someone who had it and she has since become a close friend. I know that her recon was saline implants/expanders. She was off work for around 4/5 months, mainly because  both sides were done together,  she needed to drive to work and as she lived in a rural area. It might not be as long as that for some other employers though. She has definitely recovered really well and is back to many of her old activities. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will be along to help you out soon.

She also gets given an MRI each year to check that all is well - wish we all got offered that!

Take care

K M x 

Hi

I am 4 weeks post surgery for a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with becker adjustable implants. I have found it ok but the first week was hard as i had 4 drains in. I was in hospital 3 days. I am pleased with the result so far but am having weekly visits to hospital as i preserved my nipple so am having the dressings changed.

I had breast cancer 11 years ago at 34 and had a lumpectomy chem and radiotherapy. I found out i had brca2 2 years ago so decided to have a double mx and reconstruction to reduce risk

I had my biopsy results 2 weeks ago amd they found 1mm of precancer in my other breast so am glad made this decision

Hi Loobylou

I was diagnosed BRCA1 Feb '14 and had double mx with reconstruction using muscle and skin from my back (known as LD) in Feb this year. I am due to return to teaching nursery children after half term. I’m doing well, had no real set backs but am having physio for stiff shoulder on left side where i previously had lumpectomy, chemo and radio (2013). My back is still quite ‘tight’ but exercise helps and in the grand scheme of things, its a small price to pay for some peace of mind. Feel free to ask anything about the procedure, or anything else for that matter. 

Good luck

XX

Hi

Explore all options. I ideally wanted the shortest surgery time and to have immediate breasts. I do but with the Becker implant i had the mesh support inserted as a skin sparing mastectomy. The implant can be adjusted if needs be to iron out dents or symmetrical problems.

My result is still good though i had radiotherapy on my right breast 11 years ago. The implants take a bit of getting used to and are very heavy with a very tight chest but that should ease off over time

I will be going back to my desk job in just under 3 weeks. I have been tired but getting better each day. I go shopping with partner and short walks but do need to sleep in day.

Each surgeon will give you a different viewpoint. Mine was good at reconstructions with implants

I am not sure if i could live with constant worry of living with breasts. I am aware still a risk but reduced it dramatically. For 9 years I didn’t know i had a gene. My mother is carrier and never presented with cancer…now 67. Having dcis…which i had first time doubles risk in other breast plus having the gene…no brainer.

Let me know what you decide x