64906members
341943posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm 26 and just had my first chemo, anyone similar age?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: I'm 26 and just had my first chemo, anyone similar age?

Hi Louisemvp,

I don't know where you live, but you might want to have a look at Shine's website http://www.shinecancersupport.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx . Shine is for young adults in their 20s, 30s and 40s who have had any kind of cancer diagnosis. They're a wonderful bunch, definitely not your traditional support group, and would be a good way for you to get in touch with others of a similar age. There are currently groups in Dorset, London, North Tyneside and Birmingham.

They're also on Facebook of course!

Jane xxx
Highlighted

Thanks everyone, I have sent a message to the group and Laura it would be great to chat, I am feeling really fine but just a bit lonly not knowing anyone whose gone through anything similar those glad I sent the message xxx
Highlighted

Hi Louise, I was 26 when I was first diagnosed last June. Turned 27 the day after my first chemo so I can totally understand and empathise with you. I've now finished chemo and surgery, just waiting on rads so if you want to talk just message me xx
Highlighted

hiya,
im a bit older, 33 just finished my chemo last week was on FEC-T, if you have any questions and I can help feel free to message me !!
xxx
Highlighted

Hiya, thanks everyone for Highlighting the existence of the group. Louise, there is a lot of support to be had from both this forum, where there's a wide range of experience that people are happy to share, and where there are experts at hand running the forums, who can point you in the right direction if need be. In addition to the help you can benefit from here (which was a real lifesaver for me when I was diagnosed at age 36 in march 2010) , I set up a Facebook group just for younger women with a breast cancer diagnosis, so we could all feel a little less isolated and could chat in private. You are more than welcome to join us, there's over 230 of us now, and it's a lovely supportive bunch, and so reassuring to see so many normal young girls, with their normal Facebook accounts and lives, who are dealing with the same **** that you have found yourself in the middle of. There is a thread on here about it which I will bump up. The public page is called Younger Greast Cancer Network (UK) and once you message us there and confirm that youare a young woman with breast cancer, and how you heard about us, we can start the process of joining you into the private chat group. Only group members know who is in the group and nobody outside the group can see your posts.

Reall sorry that you are eligible to be a part of the group, as it is a rubbish set of criteria to fill, but in the circumstances we would be very pleased to have you wth us xxx

Vickie

Link for public page :

https://www.facebook.com/ManchesterYoungerWomensBreastCancerNetwork?bookmark_t=page

Ps. I started it for Manchester girls but within about 3 milliseconds it became clear that we there were LOADS more ladies who'd benefit from joining.

Highlighted

It's a secret group - look up Vickie Manchester - choose the one with no proper picture and you will see Younger women's breast cancer network (manchester). Send her a message explaining your situation. See you over there, xxx
Highlighted

Hi ClareHa,
I've tried searching for groups called "Young Breast Cancer Network (UK)" and for Vickie Manchester, and get no results....

Jo
Highlighted

Hi Jo and Louisemvp
There is a private facebook group for young women with breast cancer. It made up of a really supportive people. It's called the Young Breast Cancer Network (UK). If you search for Vickie Manchester you should be able to find it.
Take care.
Highlighted

Hi Louisemvp,

I'm not quite as young as you, but only 32, I'm due to start my first chemo on Monday and would be happy to chat if you want.

Jo
Highlighted

Hello Louisemvp

Welcome to the forums.

While you are waiting for replies could I suggest that you give our free helpline a ring on 0808 800 6000 and have a confidential chat with one of the breast care nurses who are here to support you through this, lines are open to Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00.

best wishes

June, moderator

Highlighted

I'm 26 and just had my first chemo, anyone similar age?

Would be great chat to someone of similar age who has been diagnosed with breast cancer I front know anyone?xxx