Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm 29 & have just been diagnosed, seeking support & advice

7 REPLIES 7
Jo_BCC

Re: I'm 29 & have just been diagnosed, seeking support & advice

Hi ScottyB

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I  am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

To help you along I have put for you below links to some of BCC's publications you might find helpful.  Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you need someone to talk to in confidence.  0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/support-younger-women-brea...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/younger-women-breast-cancer...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

ScottyB

Hi!
This is my first post on here and you have inspired me to respond. I am 31 recently diagnosed and have had to make the same fertility decision as you. I am finding it so hard to now think about things I thought wasn't part of my life and now instead of me and my husband planning a family we are planning chemotherapy treatments!
I took the decision that I would not freeze any eggs as like you say to harvest the eggs they do put hormones into you, I therefore decided that I needed to get myself better and to give myself the best chance of that . As you know there are no easy decisions but my hospital team explained the options and in the end I felt I had to look after me here and now and not for something I don't have and even without cancer there are no guarantees on having children.
I hope you find a way forward stay strong and be positive it's all I try and each day I find a reason why I feel blessed! It's hard but I find it can help. X
ScottyB

Hi!
This is my first post on here and you have inspired me to respond. I am 31 recently diagnosed and have had to make the same fertility decision as you. I am finding it so hard to now think about things I thought wasn't part of my life and now instead of me and my husband planning a family we are planning chemotherapy treatments!
I took the decision that I would not freeze any eggs as like you say to harvest the eggs they do put hormones into you, I therefore decided that I needed to get myself better and to give myself the best chance of that . As you know there are no easy decisions but my hospital team explained the options and in the end I felt I had to look after me here and now and not for something I don't have and even without cancer there are no guarantees on having children.
I hope you find a way forward stay strong and be positive it's all I try and each day I find a reason why I feel blessed! It's hard but I find it can help. Xxx
spikeyred

Hi Alis. Really sorry that you have joined our breast cancer club. I just want to let you know about a fantastic facebook group for younger women with breast cancer. It is sad to say but there are lots of girls on there who are in or have been in the same position as you with regarding fertility treatment. They have great knowledge between them. It'd you want to join us here is the link https://www.facebook.com/ManchesterYoungerWomensBreastCancerNetwork. Good luck with your decisions xxx
Alis531

Hi both, thank you for the information it's very useful.

In terms of the hormone issue I probably didn't make myself clear. I am being offered the chance to freeze my eggs amongst other things which all involve pumping me full of hormones over a short period in order to create enough eggs to harvest. This is my concern, not any form of hormonal treatment that I may receive in relation to treating the cancer itself. Is there anyone on this board who is like myself being offered egg or embryo freezing?

Thanks,

Alis x
poemsgalore

Hi Alis

So sorry about your diagnosis. We can all well understand your feeling lonely although surrounded by other people. The fact that those people haven't a clue what it feels like to be diagnosed with breast cancer means they don't know how to react to you. Especially with you being so young. 

As for the hormones making your cancer worse, I assume your cancer is Oestrogen/Progestrogen sensitive?  So was mine. The tablets they give you isn't hormene replacement therapy, they will be tablets that STOP your body from producing Oestrogen. I suspec t that as you are under 50, you will be given Tamoxifen.  the other treatment they will give you, depending on the type, the grade etc, do not contain any hormones at all. The aim is to get rid of your cancer, not make it worse - although I can understand the confusion when most of the doctors talk about hormone therapy. It is to prevent hormones for being formed in your body, not to put more in. 

May I suggest that you ask your Breast Cancer Care Nurse (I assume they have assigned one to you) those questions, or ring the nurses on this site, it is a free number and they are all qualified to answer any queries you must surely have.

Good luck with the scans, they are usually standard procedure  just to be on the safe side.

Take care

Poemsgalore xx

Jo_BCC

Hi Alis531

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies, I have put for you below links to some of BCC's publications you might find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/younger-women-breast-cancer...

Below I have put the link to the area of this site dedicated to younger women, I hope you find this helpful too.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/talks-courses-local-support/younger-womens...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Alis531

I'm 29 & have just been diagnosed, seeking support & advice

Hi I'm 29 and was diagnosed 2 weeks ago, awaiting results of my CT & bone scans to see if the cancer is lurking elsewhere in my body. I'm struggling with everything at the moment especially with family and friends who are either constantly upset or distant because they just don't know what to say. I feel quite lonely despite being surrounded by people if that makes sense?

I have no children and the thought of being infertile after treatment is devastating to me. I have been referred to a fertility clinic, but am painfully aware that anything they offer me involves pumping me full of hormones which could potentially make my cancer worse. Is anyone in the same position ?

I have so many questions but will leave it at that for now I think, if I let all of my thoughts out of my head at the moment I'd be typing for days!!