I'm changing from arimidex to tamoxifen

Hi all

Just got back from my GP. Had another blubb, gave her my list of probs and we have decided to try me on Tamoxifen instead of arimidex! We are hoping the aches and pains will then ease, I have to try it for 2 mths. Got mixed feelings but was feeling like I’d say yes to anything to get my life back to near normal.

Back on anti inflams for knee along with a drug to protect my stomach, and going back to see her in 2 wks to re-assess.

Asked for sleeping pills but she said no! (have asked before and she said no then too). She just thinks they are too adictive and don’t work after a while. She was keen to get me on anti-depressants though. Not sure so thinking about that one.

I feel if I get the balance of drugs right, I’ll be happier and fitter and won’t need the anti-depressant drugs.

Irene

Hi Irene

Glad that your GP is doing something to help. Hope it works and that you soon feel happier.

Take care
Marilyn x

hi irene,
I know how hard the side effects of this treatment are. I get anti-depressants thrust at me every time i talk to anyone about how hard it really is. The sleep deprivation is getting to me now from the night sweats that have worsened with the coming of spring and i feel 20 yrs older than my 43 yrs.
I’ve come to the conclusion that I am just talking to the wrong people. Access to the right people are also a problem.
Doctors tend to want to prescribe as a way of helping side effects. Then we get into the problems of more side effects and need more drugs to help with these, i.e. protecting our stomachs from the effects of anti inflammatories. Nothing that we take has no side effects and if your one of those people that are sensitive to drugs, like me, you get into a terrible knot. I’m currently trying to reduce all meds that are not essential to treatment as I to believe that on the right balance I will feel healthier and fitter.
Getting some talking support is my next move so I have someone to tell how I feel that I will not have to feel guilty of upsetting, my family are ok if I am, what a responsibility when I feel like sh… !
A councillor may be available at your gp’s or a good breast care nurse may be of more benefit in the way of helping our treatment be more bearable than it is without good support. These sites are great but face to face is a much more effective way of offloading our feelings. Alternative therapies offer a lot as well and the feel good factor after a good treatment of Reflexology or Massage is tremendous. I get mine through a local charity free of charge so It’s a great me thing if you know what I mean?
I agree with your gp about sleeping tablets, they can cause more harm than good and generally only get you 3 to 4 hours of drugged sleep which is no substitute for the healing powers of natural sleep - 8 hours minimum. Hard to get with the flushes keeping me awake but I do relaxation when I can’t sleep which helps pass the time more pleasantly and my bedroom is a lavender smelling, windows wide open, calm place where I go to be at peace with my chillow pillow. I go straight down stairs if sleeplessness gets to me to ensure my bedroom does not hold the memories of the distressing aspects.
Antidepressants are the same thing, they’re good to get us through a short term crisis but are no use for long term problems, the only way is to address the problems and try to find solutions or improvements to lessen the distress. I was a nurse for 22yrs and did lots of long term counseling and saw so much first hand I feel I have the wisdom of other peoples hindsight to help me through and believe me drugs don’t work , whether recreational or prescribed. They can help for a while to hide behind the problem but finding positives to replace the negatives is the way forward.
I agree with your instinct to avoid antidepressants until you have tried other ways of ‘feeling better’.

good luck and may you find the help which is right for you.

much love and respect.

lyn x x

Interesting Irene, hope it works for you. I was just advised yesterday by my onc to switch from Armidex to Tamoxifen because of joint aches, but I am still not sure. The side effects of Tamoxifen sounded worse to me and I feel I can cope with the joint pain.
I have the opposite problem - my onc actually disagrees with this and says that my quality of life is being affected and it’s important to maintain my mood. So he is keen to switch to Tamoxifen while I am scared to come of Arimidex cos when I went on it he told me it was more effective than Tamoxifen!

Any advice from people who have switched gratefully received.