Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm completely new to this but...

3 REPLIES 3
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: I'm completely new to this but...

Thanks guys,

I'm hoping friday will certainly not be negative, however I've had a couple of people saying i could be higher risk due to the other family cancers, and thught i'd rrather firm up the questions i plan to ask on friday, rather than miss something because i get in a stress.

Cxx

Kindensurprise

Hi C

I am 39 and the first in the family to have bc. I asked about genetic assessment as I have 2 daughters, but after a genetesist had looked at my notes and family history, even though lots of family members have died of various cancers, none of them had bc or ovarian cancer, which means they will not check for genetic link because of the different types of cancer.

Every case is different, but I just thought I'd share my experience.
It still might not be bc for you on Friday.

Kinden
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi C
You sound very calm about it all, which is good.
I believe there are genetic links to many cancers - being BRCA for instance means a supposed higher risk of bladder, pancreatic, and skin cancers as well as others - depending upon who you choose to believe. However, i think the research for these is still in its infancy, so no firm recommendations apply.
I would suggest that if you are concerned, then push for an appointment at the genetics service - because they will at least be the ones who have the most up to date information, and can prepare you for the pros and cons of counselling/testing, what to do about your children etc. It might be that there is no evidence of links and there is nothing they can do at present, but at least you will know for sure.
best wishes and good luck with your lumps on Friday.
Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm completely new to this but...

Hey folks,

I am completely confused on this particular topic, and would really appreciate some opinions if you wouldn't mind?

I'm 29, and have my first appointment at the hospital on friday as I have large lump in r breast, smaller harder lump in l breast, and lareg lump in L armpit (think I have another swelling behind it, but its deep and hard to tell, although there has been some change there), anyway I'm completely aware that I'm probably fine, and it will all hopefully be good news, however I've had moxed responses as to genetic risk factors and if after this is all over I will benefit from genetic counselling.

In my family (its a very small one) we have had 3 cancer fatalities in 2 generations, none of which were breast cancer, however my Dad had bladder cancer, his aunt had lung cancer/Brain tumour, but I'm not sure which was primary, and my maternal grandmother had stomach cancer. In what is a relatively small family it seems a quite high incidence, however I know if they'd all had more kids, it would probably seem more infrequent, so i'd made no connection with this and my current situation.

Obviously my GP checked family history when making my referral, and couldn't decide if it seemed significant or not, but since then I have spoken to a couple of different people for support who said to ask for genetic counselling.

I'm obviously most concerned for my children, and would like to do the right thing for them, biut just wondered if there could be a genetic link between the different types of cancer?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if I rambled!

Cxx