I'm so scared

Hi everyone

Just over 2 weeks ago, I found a lump in my right breast. It isn’t round, it doesn’t hurt, it’s hard and it doesn’t move. I am a horrendous googler (I know I know) and I’ve succeeded in scaring myself pretty badly. I’m only 30 and I just did not see this coming!

My friend convinced (bullied) me to go to the GP and I was seen last Monday. I was hoping that she would tell me it’s all in my head but nope, urgent referral to the breast clinic. My appointment is tomorrow.

I’m so scared I can’t function properly. My dad has advanced cancer and is going through chemo at the moment. I’m terrified of what it could do to my family if I’m diagnosed too. Also I have a new boyfriend who is my world at the minute. He says he’s going to be there no matter what but can I really drag him into this if it is something? I’ve dated a guy with cancer in the past and he ended up leaving me heartbroken because he couldn’t cope. I don’t want to do that to my new boyfriend! I know it’s ridiculous ti be worrying about all this when I don’t even have a diagnosis, but I can’t help it. My head feels like it’s about to explode!

Anyway first things first, can anyone give me any advice about what to expect tomorrow?

Stay positive Hun it’s natural for you to feel the way you do I have been the same. I have a one stop clinic not sure if you do but I went and saw the consultant first who examined me then I had to go for a mammogram and ultrasound occasionally a biopsy is then done ( not in my case). Sometimes results of tests or some tests can be given sometimes people return at a later date, and sometimes you have to go back for scans etc. it is really hard to say as each referral is different. The only advice I can give is write yourself some questions to ask and take someone with you. A lot of the time even after tests everything is benign but the process and worry is daunting and if your anything like me I hear what’s being said but don’t register anything so my partner goes as not just support but extra ears. I return in morning but It’s been a nightmare waiting I can’t tell you not to worry because I have but I will say stay positive and I will keep my fingers crossed for you. As for your partner don’t stress yourself out about anything if he didn’t want to be there for you he wouldn’t be. Just think would you be feeling the same way if you had a lump on your arm and you were going to see orthapeadic dr. (I’m hoping here you would be) as essentially you have found something and getting it checked out. I think the location makes this process more scary. Please try to stay positive.
X