I'm so worried

My mum is currently having herceptin after having 7 chemo’s, a lumpectomy and then a mastectomy and we haven’t really got the all clear but I presumed things were improving and it was just upward from here.

Now today she tells me she has been to the doctor because her legs have been aching and that the doctor has asked her to go for a scan and blood test early next week. She is telling me that it’s to see how the mild osteoperosis is that she has, but I don’t think that’s the truth, I;m so scared that it’s because they think the cancer has spread to her bones.

She had her lymph nodes removed and they were all clear and the tumour responded well to the chemo, reducing significantly in size so I don’t know if it’s almost impossible it could be cancer as the scan she had a year ago showed no signs, but I can’t get it out of my head and I don’t know what to do with myself.

Michelle.

Hi Michelle
firstly TRY not to panic I am sure your mum will be telling you the truth. She is doing the right thing in getting it checked. If and I hope it is not in her bones there are biphosphonates that are given and they hold the cancer back really well. I also think they give them for osteoperosis as well.
The reason I replied to your thread is 1982 I presumed it could be your birth year. My daughter was born that year and has been pestering me to find out my scan results as she is going on holiday tomorrow and didnt want bad news while she was away.
Take care.

Love Debsxxx

Hi Debs,

Thank you for your message. Yes it is my birth year. I think I’m the same, maybe pester my Mum a bit much about things to do with the cancer, but it’s only because we love our Mum’s so much.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Michelle.

Michelle- you sound just like me. I cant stop worrying about my mum and I am worried that she is holding in her worries to protect me.

How did your mum get on with her scan and blood tests?xxxx

Hi Michelle,

Some of the anticancer medications prescribed for several years after diagnosis can cause stiff joints, aches and pains and bone thinning and it is not unusual for oncologists to send people for scans to check this out.

If your mum is diagnosed with osteoporosis, the oncologist can prescribe calcium and vitamin D supplements or biphosphonates for your mum to make the bones stronger.

You sound like a lovely, caring daughter and I hope that all turns out well for you and your mum.

Take care.

Wendy x