I may have messed up by recon by overdoing things - please help

Please help,

I had my MX and immediate recon (with implant) on the 18th March (5.5 weeks ago). I had terrible healing issues with scares and infections as I was allergic to the glue they used. Anyway - 5.5 weeks on and the infection is clearing.

I have a 18months daughter who I am at home with most days on my own and a 8 year old son - so life is busy and despite trying to rest life has to carry on.

Yesterday the sun came out and as it is the first week since my op that I have started to feel ‘normal’ in terms of energy I decided I needed to cut the grass.

Last night I had terrible stabbing pains at the bottom of my breast whenever I move - this morning it was just as bad so gave the children to my parents and went back to bed and phoned my surgeon.

He seems really cross that I was stupid enough to attempt cutting the grass and said that not resting could have ruined the recon and that if this is serious I may need the implant removed felt stupid and now desperately upset.

I have to go and see him tomorrow which I am slightly scared of (despite the fact that he is normal lovey) although I can hardly move because of the pain today.

BUT I am so scared I have ruined things.

Please can anyone else tell me if they have experienced similar and when they started doing normal stuff - like cutting the grass!

Thank you x x

Hi meemoo

I am sorry to read about your situation, please feel free to call our helpliners to talk your concerns over, lines are open today until 5pm (9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays) on 0808 800 6000

Take care

Lucy

Thanks - I would but I can’t get downstairs to get to the phone. Thank you though x

Sorry you are having this scare. I can’t really help except to commiserate.

Did you feel anything adverse while you were doing the activity? With any luck you’ll just have inflammed things a bit and hopefully after about 48 hours it’ll start to resolve. Sometimes we just have to try these things eh?

Good luck with seeing the surgeon tomorrow … wear your padded shorts just in case he wants to spank you! :wink:

Like Morwenna, I can only commiserate too, not having had a recon yet, but I know all about overdoing it! Rest up and take pain relief, just to be comfortable, LEAVE THAT VACCUUM ALONE! Hope it all settles down again soon, and your meeting with the surgeon goes OK. xx

Hi MeeMoo, can I start with an extra gentle hug?

Oh dear, what a terrible scare - and the last thing you needed with to be told off by your surgeon. I can’t answer your question as my recon was LD and no implant, but I do know that I was given very strict instructions not to hoover (or cut grass, had there been any in mid-winter) for at least six and preferrably twelve weeks. It’s not an exact science, but six weeks seems to be the magic number for healing… so 5.5 is pretty close… so hopefully you won’t have done anything too drastic. I appreciate how frustrating it is to keep resting, but it will pay off - my PS is dead strict, but boy does she get good results!

Really hope all is well, and that when you see your surgeon he can either reassure you or put right any minor damage that has arisen. As for the grass… I’m sure long is this year’s fashion!!

Another gentle hug

Hi meemoo
i had the same surgery as you, 4.5 months ago. I have a 18 month old and to older boys. So I found it very hard to not do housework etc and had to lift the baby at times. About 6 weeks on from surgery, I woke up very sore and very swollen to the point if I did a deep breath it hurt. Like you, i went to bed a relax but I phoned my surgeon and he saw me next day and said I probably had a small bleed or tear in the muscle from over doing it. I was sent home told to rest no lifting and bare minimum of housework. Which I did and it took about a week or do to be able to breath deeply without pain. But it did subside but you have to be careful. Hopefully this is all it is too and you will be fine.
sending you lots of love
emma xxx

Hey,

Thank you ALL so much for your words of kindest.

Hay123 - my daughter is 18 months too and it does make life tricky - thank you for your words of experience/wisdom. And I am so glad that you recovered well in the end

The pain is def better today (yey!) - was able to get out of bed and get to hospital. I was so worried that my surgeon was going to put me on the ‘naughty step’ - but he didn’t, he was so kind and even said sorry about being harsh. Quite glad he gave me a good warning - as I will now try and take things easier if possible.

He wasn’t too concerned about the pain -he thought I had just pulled the muscel. He was however VERY worried about my scar opening and the infections I have had - he said it’s about 50/50 as to wether the implant will need to be removed AND i’ll have to wait about 2 months until he can tell I thought this part of the journey would be the easiest!

Oh well - guess we all just need to take each day as they come and try and not worry about the next - (wish I was actually better at doing this!).

Big thanks everyone (means alot)
xxxxxx

Your welcome honey for the message :slight_smile: glad you hadn’t done any damage. Just try and be careful, i keep my fingers crossed and send you lots of healing hugs to you xxx rest up xxx