I need a vacuum biopsy, and I am so scared I have breast cancer now

Hi
I am new to this forum, and I am hoping someone can put my mind at ease.

I went in for my first mammogram about 2 1/2 weeks ago.  Two days after, I was called back.  They told me that they wanted me to make another appointment to have both breasts imaged again, and to have an ultrasound.  Needless to say, I was very scared, and to make matters worse, they couldn’t get me in until the 11th. 

Everyone told me how normal this is for first time mammograms.  I got to the point where I was feeling pretty calm about it.  Yes, there were still moments where I worried, but hearing how common it was from almost everyone made me feel so much more relaxed.

Today was my appointment.  It didn’t go so well.  They kept calling me in and out of waiting rooms.  I had a mammogram, and then they sent me back out to the waiting room.  One of the technicians came back to tell me they wanted to do an ultrasound.  I felt like the ultrasound took years instead of minutes.  The tech kept honing in on one spot it seemed, and to be honest, the ultrasound hurt more than the mammogram. 

After the ultrasound, the doctor came in to also give me an ultrasound with the tech standing beside him.  Afterward, they did another mammogram.  This one was quicker.  Back into the waiting room I went.  Finally, the doctor wanted to talk to me.  I went into the room, and he had my images up for me to see.  My left breast turned out to only be lymph nodes.  However, my right breast showed a spot.  The doctor said he was certain it was not a cyst, but he also said he didn’t know what it was.  In order to be sure, he wants me to come back for a vacuum biopsy.  

I am terrified.  I really need some input here or for someone to put my mind at ease.   I am really feeling that it’s cancer.  What else could it be after all?   I was there the longest.  People there after me were long gone, and I was still there.  I have been sobbing ever since. 

I am so sorry that this was so long.   Please try to understand (I’m sure you do) that I am just so scared. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  I really appreciate it. 

Hi Kathy89

Welcome to the BCC forums.  I’m sorry to read you’re experience such a tough time at the moment.  Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their experience and knowledge do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share your feelings and concerns with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi Kathy, I had a vacuum biopsy yesterday on some calcifications - totally wasn’t expecting to have it so at least I didn’t have time to worry. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be because they give you a local anaesthetic and the staff were very kind and caring. It has bled a lot overnight so I’d advise you wear a black bra and dark top. I get the results next Wednesday so I understand how scared you must be feeling.

I can’t reassure you about what it is or isn’t but be hopeful and keep busy because as my husband says, worrying won’t change anything. There are lots of things that it could be and this website lists lots of benign breast conditions. From what they told me at the breast clinic, they can spot the cancerous conditions quite readily so take hope from the fact they don’t know what it is.

Rosie xxx

Dear Rosie42 & Sam_BCC

Forgive me because I am still trying to learn how to navigate in this forum.  Hoping this is the correct way to reply to you both.

I just want to say thank you for your replies to me.  It makes me feel better knowing that there are people out there who understand, and who care enough to post back. 

The waiting is killing me, but if the appointment were tomorrow, I wouldn’t want that either if that makes any sense.  I don’t want to wait, but I also don’t want the day to arrive.  I am more afraid of what they find than I am about the procedure.   I can’t stop crying, and having to go to work each day is really tough. 

However, you have put my mind at ease a little, and I really appreciate that. 

Thank you so much. 

My I had all my tests on Wednesday and results next Wednesday. I too am really scared and keep on getting upset … I am trying to keep busy but dreading next week. The consultant at the end practically pre warned me it may be cancer and there is a cure etc etc so am really worried … Hopefully you will get good news

Hello Ladies

Kathy, I don’t know if this is reassuring or not but the results from your biopsies wont be back for 7-14 days (mine took 7 days but I have seen other women saying 10-14)… and you are allowed to ask questions. If you want to know more, then ask. When I had my tests I was going crazy as they gave me minimal info, I rang the breast care nurse and she talked me through what they had seen on the images that were concerning and why they felt they needed to be doing biopsies. This really helped me rationalise my anxiety.

9 out of 10 women in the breast clinic do not have cancer, so they are very thorough with their tests :slight_smile: However, it’s not a nice thing to think but these biopsies are cancer tests, there is always a small chance it can be cancer so we have to prepare ourselves for that.

I had 6 vacuum biopsies and a Fine needle aspiration biopsy. The FNA was in my armpit which was more uncomfortable but I couldn’t feel the vacuum ones in my breast at all.

Kathy, Rosie, Cocolily & Janh… the waiting is absolutely the worst part and you need to do what is right for you. I took the week off work as it was the right decision for me. The stress is unbelievable but when you know what the area of concern is at the end of it all is the best thing.

Hopefully you ladies won’t be on this forum much longer but the support is always here :slight_smile: Lots of love xxxx