74.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've just had a lumpectomy...what's next?

13 REPLIES 13
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: I've just had a lumpectomy...what's next?

Tomorrow! Good luck tomorrow, have you got someone to go with you?

Please ask if you need, I would go with you if you need it, best of luck!

pos vibes!
clairex

Guest user
Not applicable

LUMPECTOMY WHAT NEXT Hi Smurfette

I was wondering how you were doing.

If you want to look at this website.

www.brafittingawareness.co.uk.

It has links to e-petitons for travel and health/life insurance to enable a better future for others.

All the best.

Thinking of you.

Fee

For Jools Dear Julie

I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis of secondary breast cancer .
If you would like to chat to someone in confidence, please feel free to contact our helpline on 0808 800 600. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.

We also provide a support service known as 'Peer support' whereby you can be put in touch with someone, by telephone who may have had similar experiences to you. Peer supporters can offer support and an understanding of the emotional and physical effects that a diagnosis of breast cancer and treatments can have. You can find out more about this service via the 'Support for you' tab on our homepage or by contacting the helpline.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Guest user
Not applicable

whats next Know exaclty what you are going through Gingersmurfette
I am 35 years old
I had a lumpectomy on 1st May and also the sentinel node op (including the dye) Still have bright blue boob a month later! I was told that because of my age i would be having chemo
Having 8 sessions of chemo 4 x FEC/ 4 X Tax then rads
Had 5 lymph nodes involved
Unfortunately my cancer has spread and yesterday was told i have secondary cancer in my hip. The Dr cannot give me a prognosis at present and has said that it cannot be cured. Not sure if treament will be altered at the moment
Cant believe it had had a pain in my hip for couple of months but never in my wildest dreams did i think it could be connected to the cancer. My family have a histry of hip problems so just though it was that
I know what its like to be scared. I am terrified of leaving my husband and i desperately want to be around to see my little boy grow up -he's only 6 and doesnt deserve to loose him mum now
Hot spot on my hip is large though so am hoping that chemo may shrink it. trying so hard to stay positive but its soo difficult
Julie

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Fee Hi Fee

Wow you've been through so much. I admire truly your bravery.

I didn't realise that there could be problems with health/life/travel insurance.

I think Cosmoplitan Magazine should consider starting a campaign to bring in screening for women starting at 30 or even 25 after reading your story. Kylie Minogue, Anastacia and Sheryl Crow all brought to light how cancer affects younger women but I know my friends were freaked out when they heard about me and have starting checking themselves. However, they aren't sure how so it was amusing trying to describe what to do!

I'll let you know how I get on when I get my results on Monday following my lumpectomy.

Hope you have a fab weekend too and thanks for getting touch

Speak soon

Smurfette

Guest user
Not applicable

good luck monday! Hi Gingsmurf

I will be thinking of you on Monday, I know I didn't sleep much on the Sun night, But I will be sending you pos vibes, yours was small so maybe you will be lucky! How did you find it so small?

Good Luck and all the pos vibes in the world, cafe 21 in fenwicks do the best champagne, for your celebration, and I hope you do have cause for celebration!

clairexx

Guest user
Not applicable

Fellow Geordie Babe Hi Claire

Spooky we found out the same day as each other and probably at the same hospital!

I don't know what grade it is/was yet and don't know about the nodes. I just know I've still got blue dye on me so I've been smurfed! I know I will be getting tamoxifen as it's oestregen receptive and radioterrortherapy. I'll find out what's happening on Monday.

You were lucky getting out in one day I had my op last Thursday (24th) and I wasn't released until this Tuesday as I had to have a drain put in. Had to carry the bottle round in a fancy gift bag which was very amusing! I called it my home brew!

Glad to hear that it sounds like you caught your cancer early, hope I'm as lucky.

Liking the Red wine theory 🙂

Keep in touch

Smurfette

Guest user
Not applicable

LUMPECTOMY WHAT NEXT? Hi Gingersmurfette

I love your name. I have the same attitude to life and want to help others.

I have been going through the system now for the last sixteen years.

I was 22 when I had my first lump and I am now 39 and just had a mastectomy.

I wish I had been offered the procedures you have.

I was so young I had to have aspirations (needle biopsies) followed by ultrasound scans and even then they had difficulty working out what was wrong. They said the cells had changed so recommended surgery.

I had my first lumpectomy when I was 23 and now 7 operations later on the same side had had enough so opted for mastectomy.

I am trying to help others by setting up e-petitions to enable people like us to obtain health/life and travel insurance.

I love your positive attitude. It is natural to be scared we wouldn't be human if we weren't.

I wish you all the best and hope you have a lovely weekend.

If you want to contact me anytime you are more than welcome.

Fee

Community Manager

Dear Gingersmurfette I am sure you will continue to receive lots of helpful advice and support from your fellow forum users, in addition, you are welcome to contact our freephone helpline on 0808 800 6000 where you are able to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling at the moment. The line is open Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm, Saturdays 9am - 2pm

Breast Cancer Care have recently published a Resources Pack which you may find helpful to read, it is filled with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. You can download it from the following link or you can ask for a copy to be sent to you via the helpline:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind Regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Guest user
Not applicable

me too! Hi smurf!

I am a very ancient 41, and had the same op as you 4 weeks ago, I was the first to have sentinel node surgery at my hop, gulp! I was out the same day!

The worst bit is waiting for the results, did they get it all? Is it hormone pos / neg? And what grade it is, this all changes treatment options... mine was grade 1, 1.4mm, and no nodes, I'm having radiation and tamoxifen, no chemo because of the grade.

I'm in newcastle, and I think that one of the worst bits is not seeing other people the same age going through this hideous process, lots of postmenopausal women who can support each other and don't have young families to worry about, )or the fact that they might want a family).

The scariest bit is when they tell you that youv'e got bc, after that you can prepare yourself for whats coming, hang in there, there are lots of us out here who know what you are going through, I'm afraid you can't get off this rollercoaster but you can still have a laugh, use all your mad friends! Remember red wine contains polyphenols which are very good for us, allegedly!
claire

Guest user
Not applicable

Sharing young B cancer experience Thank you Jude for replying I appreciate you sharing your experience as you sound as though you are in the same position as me. I find out on Monday the results of my lumpectomy and if I will be getting chemo. You are right about yes having supporters but they don't really understand how you are feeling and what I was trying to say in my thread (I've never done this before) was that you can have an army behind you but still feel alone to a certain extent as I feel I need to talk to women my own age and in the same position about what's happening. My lump according to the MRI scan I had was 30mm which I gather is small but I still feel as though I'm in no mans land as I don't have any certainties about what's going on. It's all if's and buts.
You telling me you are only having 8 sessions of chemo gives me hope as I was told initially I could have it for 6 months which I don't relish.
I think there is still not enough coverage about young women having breast cancer we are stil quite rare so I feel we should have more support. It's scary to think that the age range is coming down!
I'll let you know how I get on and keep in touch with your progress.

Thanks

GS

Guest user
Not applicable

hello Hello Gingersmurfette

I love the name. I'm a young person too as I'm 34, 35 in 3 weeks!

I was diagnosed 1st May and had a lumpectomy and removal of my lymph nodes. The lump was 1.8cm and 2 out of 19 lymph nodes were effected. To be honest I was relieved as was worrying that it had spread more than that and also that them lump was relatively small.

I'm starting chemo on the 12th June, x8 sessions and then radiotherapy. I've been told that because of my age they give me everything so I expect you will have chemo too??

It is very very scary isn't it and I don't think friends and family can really understand how you are feeling completely but mine have all been really good.

Everyone here on this site is really nice as well and it really helps as you know that whatever question you ask someone will always come back with a response which should help.

I'm waffling on now. This was just to say hello and to say keep posting to let me know how you get on.

lots of love

Jude
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I've just had a lumpectomy...what's next? Hi I'm 33 and I've just had a lumpectomy for a lump in my left breast. I was lucky enough to undergo a new procedure called sentinel node where dye is injected into your boob to show up nodes and then further dye when I had surgery which turns your skin blue like a smurf hence my nickname! This helps the surgeon to pinpont any nodes and remove them easily. I'm a positive person and can't believe why I'm going through all this when I feel perfectly fit and healthy. I have a clown like attitude to life and I'm fortunate enough to have a barmy army of supporters who are giving me strength. However, I've been told that I will get radiotherapy and tamoxifen but may be offered chemo as a precaution because of my age. As much as it is great to talk to other people with Cancer they are all, to put it tactfully more mature than me and it's hard to find women the same age as me who are dealing with this to talk to. The emotions range from annoyance and frustration to why me and the future etc. I hate needles so I'm finding it difficult being poked and prodded. I'll find out next week if I truly have been lucky and the cancer hasn't spread but to be honest despite my bravado and gung ho attitude in front of friends I'm very scared. At the same time though I want to help others in the same position as me.

Guest user
Not applicable