I will be having my right breast removed and then a reconstruction straight after and amreallyscared

<Empty imported post>

Hi Sahil

I am in the same position as you I think, except left breast. I am going in for MX on Tuesday with immediate reconstruction and I too am scared.  We all are… I have been told I will need chemo and maybe hormone treatment too as mine is ER+, thats all I know about mine, except I have two lumps… I am also having a lymph node clearance - are you having that too.  I believe this is the worst bit and causes the most problems.  I am trying to stay positive, but am very apprehensive as I have had no dealings with hospitals, surgery or anything else like that in my 56 years. I will however be very glad to get rid of the cancerous breast but of course I am worried about recovery time, pain etc.  I am not good at taking things easy I am so used to just doing my own thing.  The ladies on here are very supportive so I am sure you will get more replies soon.  I will keep posting with how my Op and recovery goes in the hope of helping others going through the same. Take Care val

What type of reconstruction are you having? I am going in next Tuesday for mine. LD flap reconstruction.
x

Yes that makes sense and if I could have an implant I may well have just gone for that option. But I might have radiotherapy so can’t have an implant yet apart from putting one under the new muscle as it might have some protection from the radiotherapy.
You are right that we all have decisions to make and it’s a very personal thing (and difficult).
My best wishes for your surgery too x

It appears to be very different depending where you live I had masectomy not allowed reconstruction yet due to have chemo then radio been told got to wait till finished all treatment!!

Did they tell you why you have to wait? I would rather wait if there is a good reason why I should.

Hi. I am having the mastectomy and reconstruction with expanders on 13th April as I will need radiotherapy so they can’t put the implants in until this is over, so they use expanders and will be having full lymph nodes clearance. I have a 2cm lump just above my nipple and 1 just slightly above that which is 8cm.
I have been told that I am ER + positive so ill be on medication for 5 years I am only 44 so not gone through menopause. They said that they know for definite I will need radiotherapy, but don’t know as yet if I will need chemotherapy as my HER 2 results are still awaiting as they will get these 2 weeks after my op.
They did say if they come back negative then I might not need it but if they come positive then 100% I will need chemotherapy, this is what am dreading the most. Even though they did say it’s usually only around 20% that come positive 80% usually are negative and they tend to find younger lot are more usually positive.
I just hope I don’t need chemotherapy which I am dreading the most. I did ask why you removing all my lymph nodes even though you can’t see anything there and they said because your 2nd lump is 8 cm and it’s safer for recurrence to remove them as this is the 1st place they travel to.
so please give me some suggestions, I hope you understood everything I explained. Please advise what do you think I will need chemotherapy or not.
Thanks

I had a right breast masectomy and lymph node clearance last week. I was told best not to have reconstruction straight away in case I need radiotherapy. I am oestrogen fuelled and HER negative. My lump was 8mm and had another 5 mm lump but they couldn’t get a biopsy on second lump to see if cancerous. I am 40 and advised would be 6 lots of chemo as I’m classed as young! Depending on results of taken from masectomy op may need radiotherapy afterwards. A week on and I feel ok about reconstruction later. I’ve bought some lovely post op bras from M and S and got my little falsey boob to put in the right side!

There are so many decisions to make in such a short time - you have to do what feels right for you.

Best wishes
Tracey
X

I was told had to wait for recon due to any break down the treatment may cause. Straight away knew was having chemo and radio even before they took out all lymph nodes on that side. Just finished last FEC treatment before comment TDM1 and herceptin at least no more cold cap now yipee and kept must of my hair!!!