Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMMEDIATE OR DELAYED?!?!

3 REPLIES 3
maxinebev

Re: IMMEDIATE OR DELAYED?!?!

Hi Maggie may

I had a double mastectomy and immediate LD recon with implants on 14.6.08. It was a twelve and a half hour op but at least you wake up with 2 boobs.Still in discomfort but they said I was a prime candidate for immediate recon which is rare.

Good luck xx

maxinebev

ForumMember

Hi Meggiemay, hi Clarabelle,

I agree with Clarabelle that if I had been given the option of an immediate recon this is what I would have taken. The scarring with immediate recon is far less than for delayed and there is the added advantage of having one lot of anaesthetic and surgery as oposed to several with delayed recon. Also another thing to think about is that for me the trauma of losing my breast has been very great and having immediate recon would avoid all this. Unfortunately I could not have immediate recon as I needed radiotherapy because I was diagnosed with grade 3 and extensive spread to my lymph nodes. It will be several months before I can have a delayed recon because of the radiotherapy so I am using this to research all my options.

Good luck.

Clarabelle

Hi meggiemay,

I had delayed recon as I had to have chemo and poss radio so waited to get that out the way before starting recon.
If I had not needed either I would have gone for an immediate recon to save the upheaval and the stress of having more surgery.
I am still (nearly two years on), having more ops re my recon as I had a left mx and opted for a tissue expander and implant but ended up a B cup in the BC side and a D cup in the good side so now having more surgery to hopefully get them matched up.
Sometimes I wish I had had a bi lat as then both boobs would be the same size and the implants would also be a matching pair so in some ways it would be the better option, but my surgeon would not remove my healthy breast for no good reason.
Only you can decide what to do and I hope others will share their opinions so you know all or at least some of the pros and cons.
Let us know what you decide
Take care
Clarabelle

meggiemay

IMMEDIATE OR DELAYED?!?!

hI

have any of you had the above- trying so hard to make a decision with pros and cons? Have decided to have bi lat mx to save time and worry in the long run and they have suggested immediate with implants as I am quite slender and small.
Any advise would be so much appreciated
cheers
Mx