IORT

Hello you lovely ladies,

Have any of you had intraoperative radiotherapy (done at the same time as the lumpectomy)?  I’m having it done next week and thought it would be nice to chat with others who have been through the same.

x

Hi Zeen,

Well, you maybe one of the first!

I heard last year that this approach was being worked on, so good to see it’s going ahead. From what I understand, it will mean that the 3 week course of rads that most of us have, will not be necessary with this technique, so saving a lot of time in treatment. 

Wishing you all the very best with it & it would be good to hear how you get on. 

ann x

Hi Zeen,

There is a recent strand on interoperative radiotherapy in the radiotherapy section of going through treatment (was just reading it a few min’s ago). Another forum member has been offered it in Spain and another forum member posted some internet links about IORT, since they had come across it in their research. They said it didn’t appear to be offered in the uk at the moment.

Out of curiousity (I’m now nearly 3 years down the line) have you been offered this in the uk?

Please do post if/when you find out more and if you have this treatment since I’m sure many women who have/have had and are being monitored for breast cancer would be extremely interested. 

I hope your journey through treatment goes as smoothly as possible. 

Seabreeze X