IVF AFTER breast cancer

Hello

I was 22 when i was diagnosed with breast cancer, due to a vast genetic history in my family, i caught the cancer extremely early, so early infact it was stage 1 grade 1 and was treated with a double mastectomy, zoladex and tamoxifen.

We have been trying for a baby for 3 years, ive had 3 miscarriages and im wondering now if we should go down the IVF route. I am obviously a bit anxious about having IVF because of my history but it was a long time ago and i have no breast tissue left at all.

Has anyone else been through something similar, gone on to have IVF and been fine? My BC nurse has warned me that there is a risk which i know i need to consider, but has said the longer im cancer free the better.

I am desperate to become a mum, and the past few years have been such a slog; but having been pregnant in the past and if i do have iIVF it will be 9 years post breast cancer, im swaying more to giving IVF a go.

Anyones help regarding this would be very much appreciated, stuck between a rock and a hard place, so to speak!

Thank you x

Hi Mairead,

Totally understand.xx

have no experience of this at all, but  if you call the helpline above and ask to speak to one of the nurses, they should be able to advise where you can get more info.  My guess is that youd be best getting advice from 

the horses mouth( eg maybe the consultant team who treated you) before you decide.

good luck with it tho

Moijan xx

Hi Mairead,

I was just thinking that I recognise your name from the past and then read that it was 9 years ago that you were diagnosed - so similar to me!  Pleased to hear all is good.

I really don’t want to put a downer on your thoughts of having IVF, however I wanted to let you know that I knew somebody who had hormone positive breast cancer in her 20s and she later went on to have IVF around 10 years later, due to her breast cancer treatment, and very soon after the birth was diagnosed with secondaries.  I think she was told that there was a risk but she decided to take that risk.  

I know this isn’t what you want to hear but, just wanting to put this into perspective in terms of maybe you want this so much, but just really think hard about the possible repercussions.  My breast cancer wasn’t hormone positive, but my hubbie and I decided not to put my body through any IVF-type treatment.  We know that’s the right thing for us.

Hugs

Ruby xx 

It’s actually quite nice being an old toner isn’t it!

Thats an awful shame for your friend and her family.

My bc nurse called and the oncologist she spoke to really didn’t know any statistics on ivf after bc treatment and bc returning so she is having to refer to another oncologist who has an interest in fertility so hopefully ill get a bit more information.

She reiterated that it’s a risk but only a small one especially having has a double mastectomy and stated that cancer was small etc. I suppose I’ll just have to wait to see what the professionals say and think hard about this.

I hope that you are ok and are keeping well and healthy xx

I mean timer! Auto correct!! ?