cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ibandronic Acid or Denosumab

20 REPLIES 20
bc-lass

Re: Ibandronic Acid or Denosumab

Exactly Belinda - I think you have answered this for me.

pam01

If you click on the highlighted drug names for each of the drugs on the original page it also gives further info re each of the drugs.....

belinda

That all sounds good news bc-lass! And you can always make changes in the future. I might be too cautious but I'm a great believer in if it ain't broke....
bc-lass

I'm thinking the same Belinda - dont really get side effects and it keeps me away from hospital and getting blood tests etc. Bones are stable - not sure if its the ibandronic acid thats doing this or tamoxifen??

Janet_BCC

Hi all,

The link which belinda has attached is the BCC publication which has some information on Ibandronic Acid.

I've also attached a link to the Macmillan site which has a little more information:

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Supportivetherapies/Bis...

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

belinda

belinda

Think I will stick with Ibandronic tablets, luckily they don't give me any side effects, have been on them for years now. I'm used to the fasting beforehand and anything that keeps me away from the hospital. 🙂
pam01

Incidently ther is information on denusomab including information re all the side effects in the /BCC publication treating secondary BC in the bones...a passing mod may post the link..Im not IT savvy enough!

pam01

Main, pretty rare but serious side effect is osteonecrosis of the jaw...the risk is increased if you have root canal work done...so its worth getting teeth checked before starting /early on in treatment...and keeping teeth well cleaned, checked and appts with dental hygeinist etc...risk is slightly greater than with zometa....also a very small risk of unusual fractures...some people have flu like smptoms when starting. Also a (higher)risk of low calcium...hence everyone started on calcium and vit D when going on it.......Personally i have had no side effects...neither has my elderly mum...

2catlady

Lol BC lass,I'm glad I'm not the only one xxxxxx
bc-lass

I dont mind the calcium ones either really.

2catlady

Hi,I haven't had any,perhaps because I got them when I first started on zometa. I can't believe how quick and easy it is. I get it in my tummy as nurse said it doesn't sting as much. I must admit I has a bit scared for first one but it was nothing. Very mild sting for a couple of seconds and it's over. Hurt more getting IV line put in for zometa.glad I got changed over at my new hospital. God,I must be odd I like my calcium pills lol.
Good luck xxxxxx
bc-lass

Thanks Ladies - are there any side effects of Denosumab I need to look out for?

bertie1

Hi ladies I too have the denosumab injection and I don't have very good veins,but because I'm on cap as well they only do the bloods once for both.I have to say that the nurses who take the blood are very good at finding my one good vein as I can only have it taken from one arm as I have lymph oedema in the other one,and the one good thing about the d injection is it is very quick.Have a good weekend everyone as I'm off to the caravan to make the most of the weather and make the most of feeling good before my 2nd cycle of cap.
Kaye xx
pam01

Hi BC lass...it might be worth finding out how frequently you need blood tests done.......I never need additional blood tests (at the moment!) for denusomab...but I had been having blood tests for zometa prior to switching and I have 3 weekly blood tests for capecitabine....My mother has just started on denusomab....I understand that the standard protocol in Bristol is a blood test in the week prior to denusomab for 3 (or possible 6 months I cant remember) but then only 3 monthly blood tests......it would be worth checking in your area cos it may be thats its not as frequent as you think...

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi bc-lass
I have been through all the types of bone strengtheners so I'll give my experience.
I started on Pamidronate back in 2008, initially having it at the same time as FEC chemo. After that it really wore me down having to go into the hospital for hunt the vein and sitting in the chemo unit for 90 mins whilst I had the infusion. I asked to move on to the tablets, Bondronat, and after initially suffering badly from trapped wind, got on with them OK. The nuisance bit was waiting the half to one hour in the morning before drinking or eating and having to stay upright for that time. Last year I had further progression in my bones and was moved onto Denosumab. This by far is the easiest bone strengthener I've had. I have had to have the monthly blood test done but the vampires at our hospital are so good at their job it has never been a problem, even with my one and only good vein. I was also on Capecitabine so needed a blood test for that every 3 weeks and didn't ever have to have an extra blood test if it was just Denosumab week, the results were used from the last one. The main check on blood is calcium levels as these can drop dramatically on Denosumab but you are prescribed AdCal/calcichew tablets. These I hate as they are so chalky, not chewy at all! However you can get effervescent tablets or, as I've just learnt, caplets that you swallow and don't have to 'chew.' The few mins it takes me to have the injection are worth the short drive to the hospital, however there is a move to having it at your GPs surgery in some areas so even this would be a thing of the past. Plus it's the newest and most effective bone strengthener so its worth considering that as well. Oh, and I no longer suffer with excessive burping!
Hope this helps
Nicky

bc-lass

I take calichew - they are ok, take with a glass of water and chew them up. Being put off with the blood test and vein hunting with denosumab so wondering whether to stick to daily tablet of ibandronic acid...

2catlady

Hi,yes,I had it on same day too. But I get one when I pick chemo pills up too! I'm beginning to think they're vampires !! Lol. I got some rather tasty calcium tablets to take each day as well .
Xxxx
bc-lass

You need a blood test I think too beforehand I think. 

2catlady

Hi,BC lass ,I've just had my first Denosumab injection after being on zometa for over a year. All I can say is I wish I'd been offered it last year. It takes a minute to inject into tummy and your out. Much better than being hooked up to IV .
The new D injection is supposed to be much better than zometa too.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxx
bc-lass

Ibandronic Acid or Denosumab

Hi

I have been on ibandronic acid for 9 mths for bone mets and things have been stable. I have now been offered Denosumab from my insurance company.

I know this is a newer drug but not sure whether to switch?

Help!!