Ibandronic Acid

Hi everyone

My oncologist has asked me to consider taking Ibandronic Acid every day, to increase bone density while being on Letrozole. I wondered if anyone is considering taking or is on this and if so how is it all going?

Thanks in advance

Meg x

Hi Meg, I’ve recently been prescribed Alendronic Acid (70mg) which I take once a week to increase my bone density too.  I’m on Anastrozole and the oncologist was only happy prescribing it to me is I also took medication to increase my bone density, which isn’t great following a growth on my parathyroid which was removed about 18mths ago.  I was given a DEXA done density scan after that operation and then it was repeated jus as I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  The bone consultant had suggested I take Alendronic Acid for a year and then he would repeat the scan to see if my bone density had improved. But because I was then about to start chemotherapy, by GP suggested delaying me taking it until now, and although I hadn’t wanted to, I guess having strong bones is very important too! I’m assuming now I’ll be taking them for as long as I take Anastrozole - 10 years! But I might be wrong!

I’ve only taken one tablet so far, so I’m guessing its too early for any side effects to be showing!

How are you finding it?

xxx

Hi Meg I have been on Ibandronic acid (tablet form) since May.  So far so good.  Bit of a faff having to drink large glass of water with it first thing in the morning then sitting for one hour.  Some people say you only have to stay upright for 30 minutes but the leaflet that came with my tablets say one hour.  I want it desperately to work so leave it for the full hour before eating and then taking my Tamoxifen tablet.  Never thought I’d be having such a strict routine after never taking any tablets for anything but it’s funny how you adapt to these things.  Hope this helps. Hugs Debbie.