Ideas where you can get bras

Its 3 years since I was diagnosed had a masectomy chemo and have now just had a tram flap reconstruction + a reduction and uplift few hiccups but on the whole pleased with everything. Unfortunatly my sister has now been diagnosed and will be having a masectomy in the next couple of weeks. She’s worring about where she can get bras from as she’s a big girl and the ones ive told of dont do the m big enough has anyone any ideas were we might try . As she’s my younger sister I want to help and try make things easy for her. One good thing is shes seen with me that it not all doom and gloom.

Hi there
I was in a pickle after my mastectomy. No mastectomy bra I bought seemed to be right.
Then one day I was walking through BHS, and I saw a bra on a sales hanger - I tried it on. It was not a mastectomy bra, but I sewed a piece of cotton material across the back on the left cup to make a pocket. It worked brilliantly. They are the Volumptuous range and come in plain and lace. I never wore a matectomy bra again - I just bought several of these and spent one night sewing in pockets.
They gave a great shape, and werent expensive. They go up to large sizes.

I had a recon 8 weeks ago - I am actually wearing them now, having removed the pockets.

Lisa

Hi there
I to am pre op and have been looking around for bras.

Try Figleaves online they are a bit expensive but have a sale on at the moment there are other companies, type in mastectomy bras
and you will get a few come up.
Marks and Spencer’s do them although I have looked in two of my local branches and do not appear to have any.

Good luck
Maggie

Hi

I am very pleased with my £6 post surgery bra from our local Asda but they only did them in white. Before Xmas I asked if they had a black one available, and after checking on the system, they told me they didn’t do one. I’ve been in again today to get some pyjamas for my young granddaughter and lo and behold they are now stocking the same bra in black. Unfortunately they were out of stock in my size but I will go back in a week or so to check again. Good hunting.

Jackie

I did loads of searching online for my friend. Lots of information about. I found support4women particularly helpful, and bras4all offered great help when I rang them for advice on styles and sizes. They seemed to have quite a selection of sizes and styles. They even recommended a maternity bustier for initial after op, which was £12 and apparently really comfy.

Good luck
Nicola

Just a word about the Asda bras - I got one and for me it’s not supportive enough - I’m a 36 E/F cup
It’s comfortable to wear though, so for a smaller size probably a good first option without breaking the bank.

Lyn

Hi

I had a Mastectomy/TRAM recon. I struggled to find bras as I was a bit uneven. Stil am a little bit as I’ve put weight on. I find Camille ones are good, they are supportive and go to good sizes. I feel mor comfortable in underwired ones. My hospital offers a service that sews pockets into ordinary bras. Perhaps your sister could consider making enquiries if you don’t know anyone who’s good with needle and thread.

I get my bras from Boundary Mill shopping outlet, Colne, Lancashire. They have branches in Dudley, Shiremorr- Newcastleand grantham.

The staff are helpful.

Best wishes

Marilyn x

I went to Nicola Jane as couldn’t get anything to fit properly or were comfy enough. They do mail order, have a telephone helpline AND super shops. I spent about 1 and a half hours being fitted properly and trying on lots of bras + cami tops by a very competent, knowledgeable, helpful and sympathetic young (20’s) assistant. I shall always use them from now on - it’s worth a special trip to a shop.
Hope this is helpful.