If you have a moment..please read.

Hello, if you have a moment, (it’s just a quick yes or no)  :smileyhappy:  I’d like to know if you knew today, October 13th, was Secondary Breast Cancer Day?

We are largely overlooked, even in PINK October and many of us are trying to raise the profile of Secondary BC.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi Belinda

Yes,  i am aware that today is secondary BC awareness day.

I am also aware that secondary BC is largely overlooked during this month (and indeed during any month?) and i suppose diffferent people have different thoughts and feelings about how it should be addressed and the profile raised?

I am guessing there are lots of misconceptions regarding secondary disease, which may become masked by the pink and fluffiness of it all and  it is perhaps these misconceptions which need to be addressed better, to make the public more aware?

I also think that the PINK does not address emotional aspect of a primary or secondary DX. It can’t just be about raising  money, it has to be the whole package of EXACTLY how a BC DX can affect a woman, mentally, physically and emotionally and i don’t think that is EVER highlighted enough.

This disease is vile, cruel and robs so many women of so much. I really hope you do put secondary BC on the map, because it is very very real and not at all pink.

Naz xxx

No I didn’t know. But I don’t really think these ‘awareness’ days/months actually do any good. There are far too many of them, for all the different charities, to even keep track.

Having had a primary dx, though I, personally, am VERY aware of secondary BC and support BCC fundraising as I believe (hope?) they play an important role in providing information, comfort and friendship to secondary BC people, putting them in touch with others who understand exactly what they are going through.

I hope you manage to raise the profile of Secondary BC and get the support and understanding you need.

Hi Belinda,

Sorry to be late replying.

Yes, I knew about it, did the thunderclap thingy on Facebook, posted on Facebook too.  Although I am lucky enough to be 2.5 years NED after a stage 3 primary dx, too many of my friends have not been, and I have attended funerals of women as young as 27 taken by this cruel unpredictable disease.  I think I am all too aware that my story could so easily have been different, and so try to stay aware.

Quite a few secondaries ladies I know are not aware of it - it’s that low key.

Hopefully, :smileyfrustrated: next year’s SBCDay may be noisier. It’s baffling the true stats for developing stage 4 are usually very well hidden. (Thanks for the link Cazza, it says it all.) Not that us with stage 4 want to enlighten to frighten people. Although many of you who have lost friends will sadly know this only too well and thank you Lynn for your post. So true, I don’t have a SBC Nurse either.

Only  3% of money put forward for medical research goes towards treatments, trials for stage 4 bc.

But thank you :heart: so much for your replies…x