If you've lost hair in your armpit, were you able to still use deodorant/

antiperspirant?

One of the booklets I read said if you lose the hair in your armpit, you should switch to a deodorant/antiperspirant that didn’t contain perfume. I think it was to lessen irritation. I use my deodorant straight after shaving and it doesn’t irritate my skin. So, if you’ve lost that hair, did you have to change? I’m only ten days in, but need to start looking if I need something else than what I have.

While I was on chemo I didn’t bother to use deodorant. Firstly I didn’t have the energy to work up a sweat and secondly the chemo seemed to turn off all of my natural smells anyway.
Love,
Lynn

Might be case of stable door and bolted horse but I’ve now switched to aluminium free deodorants. My underarm hair is still just about there (after 2 x FEC) and I’ve had no problems with irritation as I think most of the aluminium free brands are unperfumed or made with crystals.

Hi

My underarm sweat smelt awful, a lot worse on chemo, I thought because my night sweats were so bad it was emitting all the toxins.

If you’re not sure maybe try one of the natural deodorants you can get from health food shops.

Cecelia. x

Hi Mary,

Like Misty, I’ve changed to an aluminium chlorohydrate free deodorant. It’s a natural crystal stick deodorant I found in Boots called Pit Rock, which is odourless and doesn’t block the pores and seems to work for me. Might be worth a try?

Love Louisa xx

Yeah, I might need to go that route. I think I’ll be need rads after the surgery, and I think you can’t use “normal” deodorant then. At least, I think I read something to that effect. Maybe I read too much?

:slight_smile: no, learning and reading is good! but sometimes one has to take decisions.
I am hairless underarms (but not sure if it is chemo, or just that I do get them off normally, so they don’t grew back during chemo…). I use just the same deo I use normally - a Bourgeois one that smell like roses (no kidding). works for me…

I personally have continued to use the same deoderant and have no underarm hair at the mo - have been thinking about going aluminium free - spose it wouldnt do any harm for the future.

Have read that you cant use deoderant at all on the affected side during rads - not looking forward to that if its true!!

Fiona
xx

I use a crystal deodorant too. Just wondering if this has happened to anybody else? I haven’t sweated from the underarm on my mastectomy side since before surgery which was six months ago. Is that odd???
Well, i honestly don’t mind or anything. I only have to worry about deodorising one underam now! O by the way, my sweat stunk more than it ever has during chemo.

Teacup xx

Evening ladies

I have been using Aloe Vera deodorant since finishing all my treatment. I is a solid stick no aluminium salts or perfume, I find it very effective and lasts a very long time. Just purchased a couple on line today from www.aloevera-and-you.com £5.26 each.

Hope this is of help.

Joy

I started using aluminium free deodorant after dx but before surgery. Since then I have not used anything. Partly because I didn’t want to put anything near my incision and I just didn’t put anything on the other arm. Despite the warm flushes I find I don’t sweat much and I shower at least once a day and I haven’t had a problem at all. I know I have family and friends who would tell me if I had a problem. So I wonder if we are all hoodwinked by the bodycare industry into using things when simple hygiene is fine. I know that as women we are paranoid about BO. Or maybe I am just lucky

Sharon x

I have cut out deodorant completely since surgery, but have found that I don’t emit any body odour since chemo!! I wash daily but am still fresh as a daisy at the end of the day. I can’t understand why…If this changes after chemo I will start to use alluminium free deodorant, I am actually going off the whole daily body lotion regime that I used to follow as I am sure all these chemicals being absorbed in the skin cannot be good!

It’s all about hedging your bets, I suppose

Jules

My BC nurse recommended mum roll on original unperfumed - grey and white bottle - works fine for me and doesn’t cause any reactions and I have eczema and my skin is quite sensitive. Perhaps worth a try?

Teacup - now you mention it since my mastectomy that armpit hasn’t sweated either!! It’s been about 10 weeks since surgery and recon.

S x

I use an unperfumed roll-on for sensitive skin (Dove is my personal choice) as read that this would be a good one to use. You might think this gross, but once I knew I was going to have chemo, I decided that I wasn’t going to shave my legs or armpits partly as a weird protest! A bit like saying “come on, have a go if you think you’re hard enough!” Also, was interested to see if really did lose all body hair. As it happens, I didn’t lose quite all, but didn’t grow any more!

KentishLass

I had total axillary removal on right armpit, and the scar is rather ugly and still sensitive, so am pleased I don’t have to shave/. Hair hasn’t grown back under either arm - chemo finished Aug 2003. I don’t use a deodorant at all, and my husband says I don’t smell. Weird that I don’t perspire at all in the armpit where I had the surgery. Just wish the chemo had taken the hairs on my legs though. Too lazy to shave so just wear trousers.

Liz.

I found some alcohol and aluminium free deoderant called “Bionsen” at Waitrose. I have yet to use it but I thought you might be interested.

Lee xx

I am completing four weeks of rads today, and have not used a deodorant on the affected side as instructed, and have not noticed any sweating or smell at all.