367084posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immobile arm after nodes surgery

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Immobile arm after nodes surgery

Hi Slyolddog, thanks for asking I'm better.

Arm much more mobile (the 2nd set of exercises are still quite hard) and physio is very positive of getting full movement back over time. I even managed to start driving last week 🙂 3 weeks after op. I can now lift my little one off the cotbed one armed but haven't tried to carry her on the stairs or into the car yet.

Treatment is also progressing: I saw oncologist last Monday, had a portacath inserted on Friday and chemo starts tomorrow! I still have CT scan and bone scan to come within the next week but they will have no bearing on the need for chemo, more like forming a baseline going forward.

Hope you are keeping well and in good spirits xx

Hi Herewego

Just thought I'd drop by to see how you're doing.

X

The wonders of modern technology Slyolddog... same thing has happened to me too 😞

Thanks for giving your perspective. I had the surgery on the right hand side so my gear arm is ok but there's no way I could do an emergency stop yet. So I might be able able to drive maybe in 2 weeks but I got 2 small kids (4yrs + 1yr old) so the issues I will face too are lifting the smaller one to her car seat and reaching around the bigger one to do her seatbelt...

You are right about the exercises - they have helped and my range movement is slowly getting better. I'm going to ask for physio referral anyway as I can only lift the arm up to about 45 degrees and am willing to try anything to get bigger range of movement to deal with the kids.

Having said that I ended up in A&E last night for DVT so that might put a spanner in the exercise/physio plan... Back to A&E tomorrow for another injection and scan, and then I'm seeing my surgeon on Tuesday. And on Thursday I'm booked for Headstrong session so that's at least 3 hospital visits this week.... guess this is the new normal 🙂 xx

ps. hope you have been enjoying your car since 🙂

Hi Herewego

Sorry for the delay in response, I did a fairly full reply on my phone which lost itself as soon as I selected Post, which was annoying to say the least. Anyway, better late than never as they say.

I'm afraid I can't remember how long it was before I could drive after the full clearance, but it was certainly longer than I wanted it to be as I took delivery of my first ever brand new car in March last year then had to sit in and look at it on the drive for quite a while. As it was my left arm that was affected I found that when I did drive it was gear changing that affected me, even now it can sometimes trigger discomfort. I appreciate this doesn't really answer your question but no matter how restricted you feel your movement is the exercises really are the key to improvement, the movements will be tiny at first but you'll be surprised how quickly they increase.  Don't forget at this stage you should only be doing the first two exercises, adding the more intense ones after a period of 10 days to 2 weeks. Don't overdo things, it will only set you back in the end.  Maybe your physio referral will help, it certainly shouldn't make things worse.

You should be 9 days post op now, I would be interested to know if you are finding things a little bit easier. I certainly hope so.

Best wishes, keep us posted. Smiley Happy 

Hi Slyolddog, thank you for your insight.
I'm glad to know it's not just me imagining the worst and that it does get better with time and exercise.

Hope you don't mind me asking but how long it took for you to be able to drive after the 2nd op? I'm trying to get an idea how long we have to keep our current childcare drop off/pick up plans (hubby doing both thus short days at work) in place xx

Hi Herewego

I had a full node removal last May after having had my lumpectomy and sentinel node removal just 18 days before. I recovered quickly from the first op, was driving after about 10 days and wanted to get back to work until the surgeon  the bombshell. The full removal is a lot more debilitating, I had the drain in for a week, could barely move my arm to get dressed and the exercises were a lot harder to do. I really feel for you, its hard enough when you only have yourself to look after and a husband helping you but looking after young children with a very painful and immobile arm must be nearly impossible

The only advice I can give is persevere with the exercises, they really do get easier. They are not an overnight fix though and patience is the key. Also really try to avoid lifting with your op arm, when you do get it moving. Even now it sets my arm back!

Good luck with your recovery, I hope it's as quick as can be.  Woman Happy

hi Em, thanks for your post.
I should have mentioned from the start that I came home without the drain (yay!) so it can't be that. I have to wait until hubby gets home with the kids as I can't even check my armpit on my own as can't lift the arm enough to get a mirror in... it's really comic 🙂 if nothing else xx

Hi Herewego
Do you have a drain in where your nodes have been removed? I had a lumpectomy and node removal and was in a similar way. At first they thought it was an infection in my arm but the consultant removed the drain and the pain started going instantly. She said it was placed very high and was most likely causing some nerve problem.
If there are any signs of infection like heat or redness in your arm then you should get it checked out asap.
I hope you are feeling better soon - this is hard enough when my kids are old enough to be looking after me but having little ones must be very difficult.
Take care, Emxx

Its a difficult one isn't it, you want to exercise to reduce other risks but at the same time if your in pain its hard. Maybe just try a couple of exercises (gentle ones) only 2-3 times rather than trying to do them all. Wish I could say something that would help xx

Hello Gazzlyn, hope you are getting better too. I was told the same (stop if it hurts too much) but at the same time I want to keep trying to do them to get some mobility back and prevent lymphedema.
Spoke with BCN yesterday and according to her they won't do anything until after a week anyway to let the cuts heal.
Just this weird sensation of pain, tightness and numbness in equal measures at different parts of the arm... xx

Oh bless you, how difficult it must be for you with 2 small children. I had WLE but not full nodes removal so I am different to you. All I know is they told me to do the exercises but if I experience pain whilst doing them to stop. I know that doesn't help much but I would ring your BCN for advise as they may want to see you before next week xx

Immobile arm after nodes surgery

Hello lovely ladies,

I'm 4 days post lumpectomy and full nodes removal and pretty much unable to move my arm.

I'm still in fair bit of pain but the worst is def my immobile arm - the breast itself is healing fine and not really sore, at least compared to the arm/shoulder/armpit.

I had to stay an extra night at hospital as almost passed out when trying to do the post-op warm-up/basic exercises with physio and I can't still do them properly and def not without double dosing on painkillers.

I'm going to ask for a physio referral when I see consultant next week but was wondering if anyone has had similar/same and what to exact? I got 2 small kids so currently unable to do anything, especially with the 1yr old... thanks x